Ни пуха ни пера( Russian, Spanish, French, Greek)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
asterion
Yellow Belt
Languages: English( Advanced), Spanish(Intermediate),French(Intermediate), Russian( Beginner), Greek( Beginner)

Re: Ни пуха ни пера( Russian, Spanish, French, Greek)

Postby asterion » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:38 am

@ Von Peterhof I thought Марлен was a female name...in that case you are right, and there is no link there.

@ NIKOLIĆ :lol: Yes..that one exactly!

Day Five

NEW PENGUIN RUSSIAN COURSE

Урок номер семь dealt with adjectives and adverbs...Adjectives have three possible masculine endings- ый, ий( if the last consonant of the adjective is soft or it is one of the " spelling rule consonants" ( к, г, х, ч, ж,ш, щ ), ой ( if the adjective is stressed on the ending). Corresponding feminine adjective ending is- aя ( however in soft adjectives ending with - ний fem. ending is- яя), neuter ending is- ое( or- ee in soft adjectives). Then there is " третий" as an exception...as it ends- ья in feminine, and- ье in neuter( to be honest, I do not know if there is logic behind this exception..or it is just the product of historical spelling changes).
Prepositional case ending for adjectives is- oм or - ем ( soft adjectives)- for m. and n. , and - ой or -ей for f. nouns

I am not too preoccupied with memorizing these endings right away( even though it seems that I have), what is important to me at this point, is to know to recognize them when I see them in a book, because I am impatient to jump into reading boat.

ASSIMIL RUSSIAN

Its lesson 5 of Assimil Russian and things are still not getting rough( its the beginning after all)...but I have learned a colloquial expression for " its rainy " там дождь" ( literally " there is rain outside")

RUSSIAN IN 100 LESSONS

This textbook is spoon-feeding me grammar for now...it is covering in small chunks all the concepts that I have already mastered, and I do not have patience for that, so I' m( for now) just using it for reading and translating:

When do you get up? They get up early. Each morning I buy newspapers. You have a lunch and get some rest at home. He is at home and is listening to the radio. They go home together and work until two o' clock. You come to work early

Когда ты встаешь? Они встают рано. Каждое утро покупаю газету. Ты обедаешь и отдыхаешь дома. Он дома и слушает радио. Они идут вместе домой и работают до двух часов. Ты рано приходишь на службу.
0 x

asterion
Yellow Belt
Languages: English( Advanced), Spanish(Intermediate),French(Intermediate), Russian( Beginner), Greek( Beginner)

Postby asterion » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Мне стало немного скучно использовать только учебники...у меня взлеты и падения мотиваций, потому-что я уже очень хорошо понимаю по-русски, ето не экзотический язык для меня. Поэтому, один новый видеокурс:( here I wanted to say: thats why I am adding a new learning resource into the mix- but no way, I' m still not at that level :lol: )

1 x

asterion
Yellow Belt

Postby asterion » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Mi español escrito ésta a un nivel bastante alto, pero mi español hablado se queda kilómetros atrás. Mi prima tiene un marido español, y a veces hablo con él, pero cuando lo hago, me corto completamente.Se me olvidan las palabras, no puedo conjuntar ni las frases más simples, y lo peor, la pronunciación me sale fatal y casi incomprehensible. Lo mismo pasó hoy...y solo unos momentos antes me jactaba de leer “Cuentos Completos“ de Cortázar en original. Me puedo imaginar que pensó él: ¿“Cuentos Completos“ de Cortázar en original? “Uga la tortuga“ y “ El viejo árbol“ me parecen más a su nivel. :(
0 x

asterion
Yellow Belt

Postby asterion » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I' m trying to translate this text from Russian but I' m having trouble with some of the words( in bold) so I' m asking native Russian speakers who might be reading my log for help:

Один мой друг...Уже десять лет не выходит из дома. Пытался покончить с собой. Поезд метро перерезал ему ноги выше колен. Живёт на девятом этаже, но у него нет храбрости повторить попытку. Пьёт. Принимает пилюли. И ждёт смерти. Хотите, чтобы и со мной так было?
— Достану тебе пистолет,—говорю я.—Через год. Восьмого мая тысяча девятьсот восемьдесят третьего. Есть и у меня какой-никакой опыт в этом.
— Через год!—говорит он.—Я не выдержу и месяца. И недели.
— Если тебе тогда ещё будет нужен.
— Я думал, что ты не такой, как эти французы. А ты как все остальные. И ты меня не понимаешь. И зачем бы…
— Затем, что ты пережил лагеря. (У него на предплечье был вытатуирован номер). Затем. Тот, кто пережил лагеря…
— Оставь лагеря в покое...Лагерь по сравнению с этим—песня. И Рауль, тот несчастный без ног, и он пережил лагеря.

One friend of mine...he has not left the house in ten years. He tried to take his own life. Metro cut off his legs just above the knee. He lives on the 9th floor, but he has no courage to repeat an " attempt" ? ( or try again?). He drinks. Takes the pills. And is waiting for his death to come. Do you want the same to happen to me?
I will you get you the gun...I said- in a year. On the 8th of May 1983. I have also had some experience with that.
In a year!- he said- I can not wait that long, not even for a month. Not even for a week...
If you still need it then.
I thought that you were not like those French. And you are just like everyone else. You do not understand me either. And why would I..
Because you survived the concentration camp( he had a number tatooed on his forearm). That' s why. Who survived the concentration camp...
Leave the concentration camp alone/ aside( or put the concentration camp to rest?) Concentration camp in comparison with this, was a petty thing. Raul, that poor guy without legs, he survived the concentration camp too...
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:31 pm

"у него нет храбрости повторить попытку" - he doesn't have the courage to repeat the attempt (i.e. to attempt suicide again).

"Оставь лагеря в покое" - leave the camps alone (i.e. "leave the camps out of this").
1 x

asterion
Yellow Belt

Postby asterion » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:33 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:"у него нет храбрости повторить попытку" - he doesn't have the courage to repeat the attempt (i.e. to attempt suicide again).

"Оставь лагеря в покое" - leave the camps alone (i.e. "leave the camps out of this").

Thanks! And while you are still there...how was I supposed to say "that's why I am adding a new learning resource into the mix"?
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Can't think of a good idiomatic way of translating "into the mix" right now, but I would have said something like "поэтому я подключаю еще один учебный ресурс". The more literal "поэтому я добавляю новый учебный ресурс" also works.
1 x

asterion
Yellow Belt

Postby asterion » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 am

I have finally finished writing a review for a monograph, so now I can get back to learning Russian. Maybe that will help shake off the unpleasant feeling left after writing in superlatives about something I did not really like. Well, I can find a solace in the fact that at least I was not testing a new vaccine, or giving expert testimony in court...the possibility of harm is reduced to minimum, who reads the monographs anyway. ;)

After a digression, I have decided to change my approach to Russian learning part of this log. So far my posts have been pretty detailed, in the form of a revision...because I wanted to get a neat layout to consult later on( instead of rummaging through textbooks), and also to solidify the knowledge. But just as I have done with pronunciation( given up on learning rules such as " how e is pronounced at the beginning and how at the end of the word" and decided just to listen), I have decided to shake off my grammar perfectionism, and the need to " know all the rules and all the endings right away", and leave the time, and exposure to language/ reading/ listening to do the job. I have this Russian pen pal whom I ask when he corrects me: " So that means I should have used dative instead of prepositional case"? And his typical answer is: " I do not know why it is, or what is the rule, or case...but I just know that' s how it is". Of course, I will never be able to immerse myself in Russian for such a long period of time that everything comes naturally to me, and I do not want to learn Russian without any knowledge of grammar...but it just reminds me that I need to relax in the beginning...and focus myself on building the " skeleton" of the language, meat will be added later on. Or otherwise, I will burn out...
0 x

asterion
Yellow Belt

Postby asterion » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:14 am

С Рождеством!

1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 am

С Рождеством! :D
1 x

Return to “Language logs”