East Asian x Swedish & Spanish Language Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Blue Belt
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: East Asian x Swedish & Spanish Language Log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:34 pm

Xelian wrote:Long time no see,

I completed my quarter.

Progress report:
Japanese 312:
-3/3 Tobira chapters completed
-17/17 lecture homework pages completed
-7/7 vocabulary quizzes taken
-3/3 kanji quizzes taken
-2/2 chapter exams taken
-1/1 project paper completed
-1/1 project speech completed
-1/1 oral interview taken
-1/1 final exam taken

Progress report:
Swedish 102:
-6/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-6/6 chapter quizzes taken
-6/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-2/2 verbal exams taken
-2/2 written exams taken
-10/10 Swedish outside the classroom[...]

Wow! Impressive and inspiring!
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Xelian
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)
svenska (A2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
Español (A2)
中文 (beginner)

Flirting:
ASL (A2)
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Hindi, Tibetan, Russian, Arabic (Classical, Yemeni), Vietnamese, Armenian, Greek, German
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4705

Postby Xelian » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Wow! Impressive and inspiring!

Thank you!!! I'm trying hard. Sometimes I need a break however x-x
0 x
: 22 / 33 Language Progress Fall 2016 - Spring 2017
: 2 / 1000 Japanese News Articles

Xelian
Yellow Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)
svenska (A2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
Español (A2)
中文 (beginner)

Flirting:
ASL (A2)
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Hindi, Tibetan, Russian, Arabic (Classical, Yemeni), Vietnamese, Armenian, Greek, German

Postby Xelian » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 pm

I am back,

I wasn't active for quite some time. I wasn't doing so well this quarter as far as assignments went, I found no purpose in most of them, and thus, my grades dropped a little bit (obviously). Particularly Japanese class. I don't know if I mentioned before, but I was really getting annoyed at the grammar assignments as they made no sense. I like how Tobira is structured, but if you buy it, I do not recommend the grammar book that goes with it. I find myself looking at the answers because I have no idea what kind of story I need to make up in order to complete each problem. I say problem because it is an almost mathematical approach, but you need more creativity to come up with the answers than anything else. My only surprise is that homework wasn't worth much of the overall grade, but it was worth just enough to make it so I didn't get a desirable grade, on top of the other things that I did "okay" on.

Anyway, to eradicate the homework issue, I'm going to try and do the work in advance. This time I am serious. It is pointless work, but there is too much at stake now, since I have to get a minimum of 2.5 in this particular class to pass to 4th year Japanese, I am going to be putting most of my energy into the it. I never thought I would have academic struggles, but this university is no joke, like I've said before. One slip up and you'll lose a letter grade!!

I'm re-thinking a lot about my life, and I think that's probably why I'm not doing so well. I honestly don't know where I am going with languages; there is SO MUCH DISCOURAGEMENT coming from everyone. My family, my friends, my teachers, my fellow students... So I guess I need to just carry on, or think about other options. I really wanted to be a translator. But... The stakes suddenly look so high. Can I do it? I am watching my brain think about other opportunities for my future, none of which are any more valuable than being a translator, so I wonder if this is an issue of happiness? Is it an issue of humility? Do I need to see a therapist? Do I even have time?

Well. At any rate, I'm taking the last quarter of 3rd year Japanese, and the last quarter of 1st year Swedish, along with a Japanese film class (finally, something not so challenging). One year and three months left at this university. Can I do it? I am going to try so hard it could kill me.
0 x

Xelian
Yellow Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)
svenska (A2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
Español (A2)
中文 (beginner)

Flirting:
ASL (A2)
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:37 pm

Starting tomorrow, these are my plans for the quarter:

We're covering 3 chapters again in Japanese. It looks like we have 8 vocabulary quizzes, verses 7 (last quarter), 3 kanji quizzes, and 18 lecture homeworks. We have another report/presentation thing, as well as an oral exam.
Progress report:
Japanese 313:
-0/3 Tobira chapters completed
-0/18 lecture homework pages completed
-0/8 vocabulary quizzes taken
-0/3 kanji quizzes taken
-0/2 chapter exams taken
-0/1 project paper completed
-0/1 project speech completed
-0/1 oral interview taken
-0/1 final exam taken

We're covering 6 chapters again in Swedish. Everything stayed basically the same, but the vocabulary quizzes are now at the end of each chapter instead of randomly each week. That's a relief, I don't have to rush to learn them anymore. On another note, one thing that stopped me from going to Swedish for many days was some harassment I was experiencing in the classroom by another student. It wasn't anything drastic, but I felt uncomfortable by the last few weeks of the quarter. I plan to try and avoid the individual if I can. This might mean sitting in the back row. I just don't feel comfortable at all and he always tries to distract me when I'm trying to listen to the instructor. Feels like high school or something, I wish people would grow up.
Progress report:
Swedish 103:
-0/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-0/6 chapter quizzes taken
-0/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-0/2 verbal exams taken
-0/2 written exams taken
-0/10 Swedish outside the classroom

Everything looks about the same, but I'll update the progress chart if anything else changes.
1 x

DCDC
White Belt
Languages: Polish (native)
English (fluent)
Japanese (N2)
Chinese (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5259

Postby DCDC » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Xelian wrote:I'm re-thinking a lot about my life, and I think that's probably why I'm not doing so well. I honestly don't know where I am going with languages; there is SO MUCH DISCOURAGEMENT coming from everyone. My family, my friends, my teachers, my fellow students... So I guess I need to just carry on, or think about other options. I really wanted to be a translator. But... The stakes suddenly look so high. Can I do it? I am watching my brain think about other opportunities for my future, none of which are any more valuable than being a translator, so I wonder if this is an issue of happiness? Is it an issue of humility? Do I need to see a therapist? Do I even have time?

Man, I can definitely relate.
But I also feel it's the same with pretty much everything a person might want to do. No worthwhile career is easy to get into. Thinking about other options is always a good idea, though.

My boyfriend is a programmer and while he and his friends have absolutely no problems finding jobs, they all suffer from burnout, have to participate in the rat race more than I do and are often unhappy, because while they earn a lot it's not a job they want to be doing, usually (most of them want to make video games or similar things, or do something that's not IT related at all). They all have grand plans to move on to do something else in the future, and it won't be easy for them either.
I'm not trying to say that translation is a better career than IT, of course, just that every profession has its issues.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”