Arthaey's Once & Future Log [ES/FR/HU/ASL/DE...]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: Arthaey's Once & Future Log [ES/FR/ASL/DE...]

Postby arthaey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 am

ASL Anki cards, not animated gifs or videos required! :D

[tags: #tagResourcesASLwrite #tagAnki]
Last edited by arthaey on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:48 am

Interesting. I've never tried the various sign writing systems, but I'm skeptical of their utility. Then again, one of the things that makes ASL hard to learn is the lack of a writing system.

Anyway, here are some ASL youtube channels you might be interested in

http://dailymoth.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/sheenammcfeely
https://www.youtube.com/user/awti/videos (dead channel, but lots of existing videos)
https://www.youtube.com/user/dhnnews/videos (dead channel, but lots of existing videos)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCht1Em ... CrukW4BrTw (A TV show in ASL. First two episodes have subtitles, the rest don't)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Olsonterp/videos (I don't like them much, but you might)
https://www.youtube.com/user/fsdbvideos/videos (A bunch of old student videos in ASL including Snow White and various fables)
https://www.youtube.com/user/streetleverage (No subtitles or VO, but might be useful when you're at a more advanced level)
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:03 am

I'm currently looking for a way to write out NZSL and have stumbled across a dozen systems to choose from so far. Systems like ASLWrite look pretty stylish in cursive writing, whilst others like ASLSJ are probably more practical for typing out quickly. Decisions, decisions...

(By the way, I just realized that the first part of your flash card says "sign". So I'm probably way off here, but does the second part read "zz"?) :)
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:28 pm

golyplot wrote:Interesting. I've never tried the various sign writing systems, but I'm skeptical of their utility. Then again, one of the things that makes ASL hard to learn is the lack of a writing system.

First off, thanks for the YouTube suggestions! They were all new to me. :)

As for written sign language, why are you skeptical of their utility? They're useful for exactly the same reasons written spoken language is useful.

Teango wrote:I'm currently looking for a way to write out NZSL and have stumbled across a dozen systems to choose from so far. Systems like ASLWrite look pretty stylish in cursive writing, whilst others like ASLSJ are probably more practical for typing out quickly. Decisions, decisions...

Without much support for any of the various systems, it's still a pretty personal decision which one you use. Pick whichever speaks to you. :)

I picked ASLwrite because it looked the most like real writing to me, not just an encoding that's clearly meant for ease of computer use. After I learn more ASL and get more experience writing it too, then I'll apply myself to making it more computer-friendly. Which, yes, is a huge challenge, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Teango wrote:(By the way, I just realized that the first part of your flash card says "sign". So I'm probably way off here, but does the second part read "zz"?) :)

The front of the flashcard does indeed say "sign", fingerspelled! The back of the card is the ASL sign for "sign", which is both index fingers rotating or orbiting each other.
1 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Basic self-introduction in ASL:

English gloss: "My name Arthaey. I hearing student ASL. I like ASL and ASLwrite. My teacher, she deaf, she no hearing. I like her."

(My beginning ASL class hasn't taught grammar yet, so I apologize for the cobbled-together string of signs with English grammar + what I've seen others sign. I'll get better as I learn more!)

[tags: #tagResourcesASLwrite]
Last edited by arthaey on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:35 am

arthaey wrote:As for written sign language, why are you skeptical of their utility? They're useful for exactly the same reasons written spoken language is useful.

There are a number of ways in which written spoken language is useful, and most of them don't apply to sign writing.

For example, literature. There's no written literature in ASL. Another example is dictionaries. One challenge with ASL is that there is no way to look up signs. The best you can do is guess the English equivalent, search for that, and hope the sign you were looking for shows up. It doesn't help that there's wide variation in ASL, and different sites have different signs for many things.

Anyway, you may also want to try gloss. That won't help you study individual signs, but it's still useful when talking about ASL sentences, and it's much more commonly used in the real world.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:52 am

golyplot wrote:For example, literature. There's no written literature in ASL.

I think you have the cause & effect backwards here.

There's no written literature in ASL because there's no agreed way to write it (yet), not because having written literature in ASL is inherently undesirable or impossible. Spoken languages used to be oral tradition, then we invented writing and created literature from that. Same could happen with signed languages.

There are definitely stories, poems, and performances done in ASL. There's no reason these couldn't be transcribed into any of the written forms of ASL. In fact, I'd love to attempt exactly this when I'm a more advanced student.

The lack of literature is a reason to support a writing system, not evidence that a writing system would be useless.

Another example is dictionaries. One challenge with ASL is that there is no way to look up signs.

Gallaudet publishes a dictionary that's ordered by handshape rather than English translation, so this is inaccurate even without having a written form of ASL.

And again, it seems to me a written ASL would help rather than hinder creating a dictionary that can let you look up signs by their native elements instead of by gloss.

It doesn't help that there's wide variation in ASL, and different sites have different signs for many things.

There's enormous variation in English, too: regionally, by age or class, different accents, different local words, and many different synonyms or near-synonyms. Doesn't stop written English from being useful in flattening those differences for communication between groups of speakers. :)

Anyway, you may also want to try gloss. That won't help you study individual signs, but it's still useful when talking about ASL sentences, and it's much more commonly used in the real world.

All that said, I do agree that English glosses are what I'll encounter 99% of the time in the wild. So yes, I do intend to become familiar with glossing conventions too.

But I still think that a written ASL is a huge potential benefit to the Deaf community, if only there was less resistance to the very idea itself. ;)
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:02 pm

This is not an update, this is just a quick whine. ;)

How do some of you folks have so much free time for language study?? I'm truly jealous.

I work full-time at a job where I have maybe 5 hours of break for the entire week. I have finances to stay on top of, household chores, and errands to do. I'm married, so it's important to me that I spend quality time with my husband. And I also have friends with whom I like to stay in contact and sometimes go do fun non-language things with.

I wish I could put multiple hours a day toward language-learning, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.

It worries me a little about my polyglot aspirations, from a shear time-management perspective as I have more and more languages to maintain, let alone improve or learn. :(
5 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Just do as much as you can. If you put in a little time every day, you'll still make progress, even if it's slow.

Also, once you get to a high enough level, languages tend to stick around. For example, I don't bother maintaining my German at all, but it's still pretty good.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:06 pm

I know that feeling! (And I don't even have to talk to my friends all that often!)

Just keep on truckin', that's all I can say...
2 x

Return to “Language logs”