Arthaey's Once & Future Log [ES/FR/HU/ASL/DE...]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: Arthaey's Once & Future Log [ES/FR/HU/ASL/DE...]

Postby arthaey » Mon May 01, 2017 7:42 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Is Hungarian going to be a permanent feature of your log now? I get the feeling from some of your other posts that you've become hooked.

Maaaaaybe... :lol:

But yes, I'm finding the newness of a truly opaque language to be a fun challenge. I don't know that I'll ever come back to Hungary, so it's too bad about the timing of my trip vs discovering that I enjoy the language, but such is life.
2 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Sun May 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Hungarian (updated 7 May 2017)

Workbooks & Courses
283 pages : 15 / 283A Practical Hungarian Grammar
144 pages : 5 / 144Pons Grammar Practical & Easy
Pons Beginner's Course
Magyar OK
Hungarian the Easy Way 1
Debreceni Nyári Egyetem books

Listening

Podcasts
HungarianPod101▎ (2)
Let's Learn Hungarian
podcasts for natives

TV Shows
Barátok közt

Musicals
Lady Budapest

Reading

For Learners
218 pages : 0 / 218Jó szórakozást magyarul! (reading exercises)

For Natives
464 pages : 0 / 464Vámpírok múzsája
368 pages : 0 / 368A ​széttört idő legendája

[tags: #tagResourcesHUstudy #tagResourcesHUlisten #tagResourcesHUread]
Last edited by arthaey on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

norgeka
White Belt
Languages: .

Postby norgeka » Mon May 08, 2017 4:00 am

arthaey wrote:Podcasts
HungarianPod101▎ (2)

Have you used the languagepod101 podcasts before? How do you like them? I just started in one of their Swedish courses today.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Mon May 08, 2017 1:52 pm

norgeka wrote:Have you used the languagepod101 podcasts before? How do you like them? I just started in one of their Swedish courses today.

I really dislike audio-only courses and the "repeat after me" method of teaching is really hard for me. As we discussed on your log, I want grammar explanations so that it doesn't just sound like memorizing arbitrary syllables that I can't even hear all that clearly.

So I don't actually like it much.

OTOH, Hungarian is so new & foreign to me that I think I need to emphasize audio materials from the get-go. So I'm trying to stick with HungarianPod101 (and Pimsleur too) despite it not being the type of material I usually like.

What has your experience been so far?
1 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Mon May 08, 2017 5:16 pm

For reading, you can also use FSI Hungarian Graded Reader, although it's not as slick as "Jó szórakozást magyarul!". The first half of the audio for the FSI graded reader is available for free download.

It's nice to see that you like Hungarian. "Gyakorló magyar nyelvtan" is nice although nothing beats Rounds' book as an accessible descriptive grammar for Hungarian. Did you manage to visit Libra (rather than Libri) as well? I picked up my copy of Magyar-OK there.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Tue May 16, 2017 4:57 am

I watched the first episode of Las chicas del cable on Netflix and enjoyed it. So that's 50 minutes of Spanish today.

I was surprised to find that Yon González (from "El Internado" & "Gran Hotel") is in this series too. I forget sometimes how small a world the acting population of other countries can be.

[tags: #tagResourcesESlisten]
Last edited by arthaey on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 am

I'd like some suggestions for news sources!

Specifically, coverage of the US from an outside perspective. Spanish, French, or German; written preferred but audio or video okay. I'm wanting thoughtful articles that dive a little deep into issues, not just superficial reporting on what happened yesterday.

(I'm posting this request here in my log because this could VERY EASILY become a political quagmire, and I don't want to inflict that on the forum at large by inviting it in a new thread. Tell me how the new sources leans, but let's not get into political arguments here.)
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:54 am

arthaey wrote:I'd like some suggestions for news sources!
Specifically, coverage of the US from an outside perspective. Spanish, French, or German; written preferred but audio or video okay. I'm wanting thoughtful articles that dive a little deep into issues, not just superficial reporting on what happened yesterday. ...

From outside the US, in Spanish, I like El País Américas. Of course, it's not just the US. Es todo el comtinente de América desde Alaska hacía Tierra del Fuego y el mundo también. El País has a lot of depth to its quality journalism.

Domestically, I listen to Democracy Now! en español. Leftwing perspective with an accurate transcript so you can read or listen. It's a translation of the English edition. On Saturdays there's a convenient week in review and also longer editorials and features.

GlobalVoices.org en español doesn't specifically cover the US but does include some US coverage from time to time. It has the added bonus of being available in French and German too. Global Voices goes beyond the headlines.
GlobalVoices.org sobre nosotros wrote:Global Voices es una comunidad de más de 1400 bloggers y traductores de todo el mundo que trabajan juntos para traerle informes de blogs y medios ciudadanos de todas partes, con énfasis en las voces que no son escuchadas habitualmente en los principales medios internacionales. ...

Edit:
I don't know if any outside media covers the US specifically. I do enjoy Deutsche Welle en español. They have a livestream video feed on youtube. I also regularly read BBC Mundo. I get most of my US news from AP en español and El Nuevo Herald from Miami. The AP usually has at least one in depth article every day- usually a translation but sometimes not. There's also the Wall Street Journal en español and Los New York Times en español. Sometimes both papers have non-translated articles always in depth.
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll check some of them out. :)

I really am looking for non-American sources though. When your own country is in the middle of some potentially serious changes to the political and cultural landscape, I think domestic sources are more likely to be in denial or myiopic about the extent of the problem. I want to see what the world sees when it looks at what's going on in the US right now, not what we think of ourselves.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:35 pm

arthaey wrote:I really am looking for non-American sources though. When your own country is in the middle of some potentially serious changes to the political and cultural landscape, I think domestic sources are more likely to be in denial or myiopic about the extent of the problem. I want to see what the world sees when it looks at what's going on in the US right now, not what we think of ourselves.

I agree wholeheartedly! That's why I listen to RFI Brasil, Deutsche Welle and RTVE/RNE. It's just that usually, only the big stories get fleshed out more in depth outside the country. Your best chance of getting similar quality print journalism to what is available domestically in non-translated Spanish, would most likely be from Spain, in my experience. El País, El Mundo, La Vanguardia and InfoLibre are probably your best options.

I don't mind the translations on BBC Mundo and Deutsche Welle because I'd read those articles anyway in English and it does give me a different perspective on what's going on in the US, albeit from a European perspective. Even though I live in a tiny little forgotten colonial backwater (belonging to, but not part of the US), I seek that international perspective as well. I'm sure there are good newspapers in Latin America as well, but many of their US stories are not originally derived or created and seem to come off of the wire from the AP, EFE and Spain sources.

For coverage of the US in French, in addition to the great journalism in France, don't forget to check out Radio-Canada and the newspapers in Montreal en français.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”