Ketutar and languages

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Re: Ketutar and languages

Postby Ketutar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:07 am

Lumilintu wrote:Does the Finnish equivalent (suomu?) only mean fish scales?
What other Finnic languages did you include in that Swadesh list?

As far as I know "suomu" or "suomus" means only fish scales (or any other things like that, like the pinecone scales, snake scales, scales on plants and bird legs etc.)

Right now I can't find my list. :-( Knowing me it would be as many Finnic languages I can find. I think I got Finnish, Estonian and Karelian done. I think Samic might have been next. Ingric fascinates me.
0 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Thu May 25, 2017 7:03 am

I don't know... maybe the fact that I think I "should" study languages makes me sabotage the whole thing... some sort of fear of success or something. I know I will learn if I only do anything, so I do nothing.
I mean, when I was growing up all I wanted to do is basically read. There were no books enough to satisfy my reading lust. Then something happened and I stopped reading. Now I haven't been reading anything for a very long time... years it feels like. The book shelf is full of books to be read, and I just... waste time playing stupid games on Facebook. At least I do it in French ;-)
I hate that about me, and I don't know how to fix it. Or, I do... but I'll sabotage that too, because if I fix it, I would do things, and learn languages and get things done, and that cannot happen, for some reason. :-(

So - not studying languages, not reading, not even watching series and movies.
Well... not going to harm anyone but me, but it's really irritating. :-(
1 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 am

I'm back... joined the 6WC, Russian this time. (Not copying you, Blaurebell! :-D)
I'm still reading in English, French, German... bought an Assassin's Creed book for my hubby from a second hand shop, and he showed me the innards... I can't really see that well any more, so I looked at it and then at him, and asked "what am I supposed to see?" "It's in German", he said. :-D "Well, then you just have to learn German", I said... I know enough to read books, and I'm sure he would be able to figure it out, he knows some and speaks Swedish and Danish, and we have dictionaries, but, you know, when you are a voracious reader, it's like running, and when you read in a foreign language, it's like crawling, and it just isn't fast enough... But - I'm reading the book now. Heck, the front page says "Assassin's Creed Black Flag", not "Schwarze Flagge"!
Anyway, Russian... I am contemplating starting A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett in Russian, and it's a bit too scary yet. I know the letters and some phrases and words, but... it's scary. I try to tell me it's just a language, and there are dictionaries and stuff, and it's an Indo-European language, and shouldn't be too hard to get used to and I really want to learn Russian and I really want to read the book, so it's really a perfect situation and opportunity, and I should just jump into it, and if I read only one sentence every day, it's OK... but. It's scary :-D
I suppose I can't bash my husband, I'm just the same ;-)
6 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Ok, I started reading it... bad choice. Because it starts with a description of the Wee Free Men, and... Terry Pratchett isn't very easy... and whine whine whine... where's the cheese. :-(
But I have started. I'm proud of myself :-D
0 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Ketutar wrote:I'm back... joined the 6WC, Russian this time.

Good choice, and good luck! Be careful not to become addicted to Russian*

Ketutar wrote:I am contemplating starting A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett in Russian, and it's a bit too scary yet.

I can't think of a more challenging way to start! :shock:

* By which I mean, absolutely do become addicted to Russian, I'll be disappointed if you don't ;)
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 pm

neofight78 wrote:I can't think of a more challenging way to start! :shock:
A polite way to say that once again we're going to see how someone is going to try to break a reinforced concrete wall with their head. :roll:
I'm not sure it's the best approach, but good luck... ;)
0 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:09 am

ROTFLMAO

So I'm about to get a really bad headache... :-D
0 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 am

Fascinating things. I asked why something was in genitive in Russian and another person asked why something else was in genitive in Russian, and one of the answers was "Sometimes genitive can also be used to indicate part of a whole, as in "I don't like some of these flowers", "I drunk some water"
And I thought of Finland.
In Finnish the case would be partitive. "Hyvää iltaa" and "en pidä joistakin näistä kukista" ja "juon vettä"... and I thought about how language influences your thinking, and what if somewhere in the history of languages someone moved from one culture to another, learned a new language but with the old way of thinking, and taught the new way of expressing oneself to their kids who taught it to the whole village who taught it to the whole nation...
I mean, in our home there are some expressions that I know have been like literally translated from one language to another (or, specifically from Finnish to Swedish), and some of these expressions are really good, and I know some of our friends have started using these expressions, simply because they work...
I love languages :-D
1 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:28 am

Yep. Getting headache.

Нак Мак Фийгъл са най-опасната от всички феерични раси.
OK, so Nag Mag Feegle, that I understand.
са. Don't know.
най-опасната. Doesn't sound familiar.
от. That's "from" or "of".
всички. Er... beats me. Next word.
феерични. Feerichi... I suppose that means fairy-ish or something like that.
раси. Rasi... Feerichi rasi. The fairy race. Perhaps.

So, what does my dictionary say.
"Nak Mac Figgal sa nai-dangerous from the porch of fairy-tale racy" Ok...
"from the porch"?
всички is apparently cabbage. CABBAGE? WTF?
Googling всички brings up "the sum of all fears" and "everybody loves Raymond", so I assume it means "the sum" and "everybody". Doesn't seem to have anything to do with porches or cabbages.

So... Nag Mag Feegle something something-dangerous of the whole fairy race.

The original sentence is "The Nac Mac Feegle are the most dangerous of the fairy races".

OK... what is са?

"особено когато са пияни"
Nothing in these words looks familiar. Except the "са", of course, which I still don't have the slightest idea of what it might be.
Dictionary gives me "especially" and "drunk". когато takes longer, I finally find it in Wiktionary in Bulgarian. Reverso says it is "когда-то", once. I check the Wiktionary Bulgarian about са, also, and get "Third-person plural present indicative form of съм."

Is my text in Bulgarian and not Russian?

I'm definitely going to get headache XD
0 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:37 am

Hmmm... doesn't look like Russian to me. It could well be Bulgarian or another Slavic language.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”