There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (beginner)

Re: There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:16 am

MamaPata wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
MamaPata wrote:French
1 episode of Doctor Who

What is it like? I am curious.

Doctor Who in general or the French translation? I know you're a big sci-fi fan, so not quite clear! (Also, apologies for the slow reply!)

In French!

It is awesome in original. It is tragic in Czech. Even more, that they changed the name! "Pán Času" (Time Lord) in the program, that totally didn't ring any bell. I saw a few minutes by accident and it was horrible. So, I am curious whether some dubbings of this show are actually good. Some show are harder to dub than others.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English

Postby reineke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 pm

I liked seasons 2-4 in Br.Port. I loved BB - Jesse sounds better dubbed.
1 x

MamaPata
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), Spanish (A2), Russian (low B1), Latin (A2 once upon a time!), Arabic (abandoned)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Cavesa wrote:
MamaPata wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
1 episode of Doctor Who

What is it like? I am curious.

Doctor Who in general or the French translation? I know you're a big sci-fi fan, so not quite clear! (Also, apologies for the slow reply!)

In French!

It is awesome in original. It is tragic in Czech. Even more, that they changed the name! "Pán Času" (Time Lord) in the program, that totally didn't ring any bell. I saw a few minutes by accident and it was horrible. So, I am curious whether some dubbings of this show are actually good. Some show are harder to dub than others.

I have only watched one episode so I'll come back to you when I've watched a few more. But from that one, I didn't think it was terrible. It's not the best thing of course, but it felt very in spirit with the original and I'll be fine to keep watching them. But take it with a pinch of salt, my French is much worse than yours!
1 x
SC French Hours: 133 / 150 SC French Pages: 4084 / 5000
SC Russian Hours: 67 / 150 SC Russian Pages: 1067 / 5000
Output Challenge: 6398 / 50000

MamaPata
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), Spanish (A2), Russian (low B1), Latin (A2 once upon a time!), Arabic (abandoned)

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:20 pm

As expected this week hasn't been amazing for language learning, because I've had other priorities. That said, I have been helping with a film festival here in Moscow (Бок о Бок) so I have had the chance to do quite a bit of chatting with people and I've hopefully started the process of making more Russian friends. It's a great festival and I'm so glad to have got involved with it. Also, one of the guests was a French actor, and as I speak better French than Russian, it was agreed that a good task for me would be to look after him so I spent all of Thursday evening and most of Saturday speaking French which was lovely! I didn't have any problems understanding him and I always managed to make myself understood, so that was cool! I definitely need to work on my grammar and I need to build my vocabulary further, but it was really reassuring. Hopefully, as soon as my project is in, I can do more focused French grammar work.

Russian

- 8.5 hours of Russian
- Read: Bits and pieces of stuff for my project but nothing I would count.
- Watched: Nothing
- Wrote: 292 words
- Grammar: Finished Colloquial Russian 2! :o Woo! I'm looking for something else as I really need to automate a lot of the small stuff and making myself regularly work on grammar was also boosting my vocabulary.

French
- 11.5 hours of French (My highest yet!)
- Read: A crappy romance novel.
- Watched: Nothing

Spanish

Nope!
2 x

MamaPata
Orange Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 pm

This week was a bit of a recovery week so it wasn't amazing.

Russian
- 8.5 hours of Russian
- Read: Nothing
- Watched: A few youtube videos.
- Wrote: 380 words
- Grammar: Started my new Russian textbook and did a bit in Russian by Exercises.
- 1 italki lesson

French
- 3 hours of French
- Read: 129 pages of the Subtle Knife translation
- Watched: Quite a lot of youtube videos, and I'll probably stick something on tonight.

Spanish
I've been doing a little Duolingo and flashcards, so it's starting again!
0 x

DaveBee
Green Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).

Postby DaveBee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:07 pm

- 3 hours of French
- Read: 129 pages of the Subtle Knife translation
- Watched: Quite a lot of youtube videos, and I'll probably stick something on tonight
I started watching a doccy on les Celtes the other day, when I suddenly realised I'd watched the same thing a week earlier, but with UK presenters cut in.
1 x
FR films: 43 / 100, FR books: 20 / 100

Return to “Language logs”