There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:16 am

MamaPata wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
MamaPata wrote:French
1 episode of Doctor Who

What is it like? I am curious.

Doctor Who in general or the French translation? I know you're a big sci-fi fan, so not quite clear! (Also, apologies for the slow reply!)

In French!

It is awesome in original. It is tragic in Czech. Even more, that they changed the name! "Pán Času" (Time Lord) in the program, that totally didn't ring any bell. I saw a few minutes by accident and it was horrible. So, I am curious whether some dubbings of this show are actually good. Some show are harder to dub than others.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 pm

I liked seasons 2-4 in Br.Port. I loved BB - Jesse sounds better dubbed.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Cavesa wrote:
MamaPata wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
1 episode of Doctor Who

What is it like? I am curious.

Doctor Who in general or the French translation? I know you're a big sci-fi fan, so not quite clear! (Also, apologies for the slow reply!)

In French!

It is awesome in original. It is tragic in Czech. Even more, that they changed the name! "Pán Času" (Time Lord) in the program, that totally didn't ring any bell. I saw a few minutes by accident and it was horrible. So, I am curious whether some dubbings of this show are actually good. Some show are harder to dub than others.

I have only watched one episode so I'll come back to you when I've watched a few more. But from that one, I didn't think it was terrible. It's not the best thing of course, but it felt very in spirit with the original and I'll be fine to keep watching them. But take it with a pinch of salt, my French is much worse than yours!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:20 pm

As expected this week hasn't been amazing for language learning, because I've had other priorities. That said, I have been helping with a film festival here in Moscow (Бок о Бок) so I have had the chance to do quite a bit of chatting with people and I've hopefully started the process of making more Russian friends. It's a great festival and I'm so glad to have got involved with it. Also, one of the guests was a French actor, and as I speak better French than Russian, it was agreed that a good task for me would be to look after him so I spent all of Thursday evening and most of Saturday speaking French which was lovely! I didn't have any problems understanding him and I always managed to make myself understood, so that was cool! I definitely need to work on my grammar and I need to build my vocabulary further, but it was really reassuring. Hopefully, as soon as my project is in, I can do more focused French grammar work.

Russian

- 8.5 hours of Russian
- Read: Bits and pieces of stuff for my project but nothing I would count.
- Watched: Nothing
- Wrote: 292 words
- Grammar: Finished Colloquial Russian 2! :o Woo! I'm looking for something else as I really need to automate a lot of the small stuff and making myself regularly work on grammar was also boosting my vocabulary.

French
- 11.5 hours of French (My highest yet!)
- Read: A crappy romance novel.
- Watched: Nothing

Spanish

Nope!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:40 pm

This week was a bit of a recovery week so it wasn't amazing.

Russian
- 8.5 hours of Russian
- Read: Nothing
- Watched: A few youtube videos.
- Wrote: 380 words
- Grammar: Started my new Russian textbook and did a bit in Russian by Exercises.
- 1 italki lesson

French
- 3 hours of French
- Read: 129 pages of the Subtle Knife translation
- Watched: Quite a lot of youtube videos, and I'll probably stick something on tonight.

Spanish
I've been doing a little Duolingo and flashcards, so it's starting again!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:07 pm

- 3 hours of French
- Read: 129 pages of the Subtle Knife translation
- Watched: Quite a lot of youtube videos, and I'll probably stick something on tonight
I started watching a doccy on les Celtes the other day, when I suddenly realised I'd watched the same thing a week earlier, but with UK presenters cut in.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Thu May 04, 2017 1:34 pm

I am probably going to be booking my flight back home sometime today or tomorrow. Only two more weeks in Moscow! :shock: It's kind of terrifying how fast the time has gone. I am a little worried about it, because the last few days, my Russian has had a couple of blerg moments when I just forgot how to do it all. In September/October I will start my final year at university, and so obviously my Russian needs to be at a pretty good level. I want to do well and I suspect that the language is actually my weakest area. :oops:

I sorted my own plans for this year, rather than using the organisation the university recommends. In many ways this was an excellent choice. If I had gone that route, I would probably have ended up with people from my class in the UK, which seems like a bad way to learn Russian. And this year has given me so many fantastic opportunities that I am incredibly grateful for - it has been brilliant.

However, the course I did was aimed at beginners so I have not covered any grammar in class that I wasn't already familiar with. I am not particularly close with many people on my course, so I don't know what they have been doing and how their Russian is now. So while I know I have made progress and I am proud of that, I have no idea how far behind I am.

I had assumed that I was unlikely to find a job this summer, as I have had several rejections. However, something has come up that I suspect I can get, which will mean from the beginning of June to the beginning of September. This is obviously brilliant - money! :lol: However, it is full time and not very close to where I live. So between this, sports stuff and other commitments, my free time is significantly less than I had thought. This may be a good thing for me though, as it might help me actually focus! :?

So yeah, big changes!
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Good luck with the trip back home and the job situation. I'm in the opposite situation; for me it's weird that all my fellow students are getting ready to leave whilst I will be staying longer, definitely until the end of the summer and perhaps another semester. Hopefully I should receive my residency permit before the end of the year! I'm sure you'll cope just fine in your final year, simply keep plugging away at it and you'll get there! :D
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun May 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Russian
- 11 hours of Russian (getting closer to where it was!)
- Read: 12 pages for class
- Watched: Avengers.
- Wrote: 1241 - this is the most I have ever written in a week and I am really pleased. Hoping to beat this next week!
- Grammar: Finished chapter 1 of my new Russian textbook. I can't quite decide what I think of it yet - the first few chapters are mostly greeting type things, which I largely cover by virtue of being here. We'll see.
- 1 italki lesson

French

- 6 hours of French
- Read: 172 pages of the Subtle Knife translation. I have also started the Amber Spyglass, but haven't counted that yet. (So when next week's number is very impressive, that will be why!)
- Watched: The Swan Princess (I'm not entirely sure why... it was there... I stuck the Russian subtitles on, but didn't really pay much attention to them. But was amused to notice that in French, the characters' names are changed but in Russian they aren't)

Spanish

Despite the fact that this is my target language for the 6 week challenge, I haven't really managed anything here. I started with FSI, but (while I suspect it would be good for me), I just can't make FSI work for me. It really doesn't help that I share a room at the moment! So while why people use it, I suspect I will not at this point.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat May 13, 2017 7:06 pm

I'm honestly not sure what my hour count is for this week exactly. I'm trying to sort everything before I leave on Friday so I haven't even been tracking seriously, let along studying! I'm still applying for jobs, I'm trying to cram in my last bits of teaching before I leave, I need to tidy and pack and sort bureaucracy and buy presents and see people and and and.... :shock: That said, I have done quite a bit of reading, so that will cover it hopefully!

Russian
- 7 hours of Russian (whoops...)
- Read: 40 pages of Tamora Pierce translation. Also uploaded a few more serious texts to Readlang.
- Watched: Zilch.
- Wrote: 1085 words. I hoped to beat last week's target this week and did not, but I came a lot closer than I expected! Onwards I guess
- Grammar: Started chapter 2 of my Russian textbook. I'm not loving it, so I suspect this will be a slow progress kind of deal. When life has settled down, I will probably swap between a few of my books so that will help a little. I also think I will like it more once I have made it through the first few chapters.
- 2 italki lessons

French

- 5 hours of French
- Read: I finished the Amber Spyglass. :cry: It broke me a little bit and I don't quite know what I'm going to read next, because I'm still too busy having feelings about it.
- Watched: Bits and pieces of videos of French people I follow on Instagram.

Spanish

I was actually managing to do bits and pieces of Spanish earlier in the week and then got sidetracked by chores and job interviews the last few days. Working on it!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”