Egwene's log - Learning languages as an hotel entertainer

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2955

Re: Egwene's log - Learning languages as an hotel entertainer

Postby Egwene » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Alright, another two weeks have passed and of course I continued my (mostly) Greek language journey. Assimil is still my main source and I managed to do 13 lessons for the Passive wave and 7 for the Active wave. I'm very happy to see that I learned so much and I am able to translate the sentences from French to Greek, two foreign languages for me. An extra challenge. Beside Assimil, I picked up Duolingo again and I removed the book about Greek script, since I know the alphabet by heart in the meanwhile. I learned 13 new skills and I look forward to learn more and more every day. I made small progress with my Greek book, 13 new pages and it is getting a little bit faster. Lastly I put 42 new words into Anki.

I asked my Greek boyfriend how I could explain my job, but it turned out to be quite difficult. There is no exact word for 'fitness entertainer'. In the hotel they called us all the same: animator. But this can give confusion, since I do not work with children and I also don't do the classical sports like volleyball. Another option was 'γυμναστής', which means trainer. In the end I just left it and I'll come back to it later.

: 567 / 2000 Memrise
: 21 / 74 Duolingo
: 145 / 276 Colloquial Greek
: 56 / 92 Assimil - Le nouveau Grec sans peine (passive)
: 7 / 92 Assimil - Le nouveau Grec sans peine (active)
: 120 / 420 Hunger Games (Αγώνες Πείνας)

For German I watched around 10 hours of YouTube material and I finished reading a German book 'Das erste Gesetz der Magie (Das Schwert der Wahrheit, #1)' by Terry Goodkind. I read the whole series already a few times in Dutch and now I am doing it in German. I really enjoyed it.
1 x
Corrections are always very welcome.

Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)

Postby Egwene » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:50 am

It was not a great 2-weeks for me. One week I had the flu and I couldn't do anything. I even didn't want to do anything. It was horrible. It was for me the first time I ever had a high fever and I reached 39.7 Celcius. Yes, that high. But, in the second week I managed to do a lot, although it was mostly for German instead of Greek.

Let's start with Greek anyway. I learned two new Duolingo skills and I did 7 lessons of Assimil le Grec, both passive and active. For the active wave I try to translate from French to Greek. My French isn't that great.. but I try anyway. Everything that I don't know or have doubts about goes into Anki for repetition. This way I have 33 new words/phrases to practice.

Now German. I am subscribed to some German Youtubers and since I was one week ill I had a lot to catch up. This was about 10 hours of audio. I refound DW Langsame Nachrichten and I put some sentences in Anki to learn new words and I learned some idioms (18 words). I have the January edition of 'Deutsch Perfekt'. I am at page 37 of 80.

I also did a little bit Italian and French. I focused on some Italian grammar and I listened to Lesson 1 of Coffee Break Italian Season 2. I listened to some French audio, mostly Journal en français facile. My French Duolingo tree is almost totally gold again. I have 1,5 skills left to golden and then I want to do the same with the Italian tree for some repetition.

: 23 / 74 Duolingo
: 63 / 92 Assimil - Le nouveau Grec sans peine (passive)
: 14 / 92 Assimil - Le nouveau Grec sans peine (active)
: 120 / 420 Hunger Games (Αγώνες Πείνας)
0 x

Egwene
Yellow Belt

Postby Egwene » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Here we are again! It's time for a new update. It's been an interesting and productive week for me.

Let's start with Greek. I think it is the first time I managed to do 1 Assimil lesson per day for the whole two weeks, which means I studied 14 in the passive wave and 14 in the active. My method is still the same. The passive lesson I try to understand the audio, the sounds of the words and see if I can make something out of it. After that I write the lesson down in my notebook and I also write down important notes or translations to words I didn't know. Now, for the active lesson I translate French to Greek. Which is sometimes a problem, because I am messy with French verb tenses. I put interesting phrases into Anki and so I hope to build a good base for conversation during the summer season. I put 60 new words/phrases and I reviewed every day, so I don't get a huge pile of to-be-reviewed-cards.

Beside Anki, I continued to do 40 xp on Duolingo every day. Sometimes it is reviewing skils, sometimes learning new words. Slow, but steady is the way I like it. I learned 5 new skills and I look forward to move on. Lastly I read 12 pages of the Hunger Games. Not much, but I noticed that I understand more and more without looking up things.

Next up is French. With Duolingo I was busy making the entire tree gold again.. and I succeeded! I check every day if a skill needs attention. If not, I move on to the Italian tree to do the same thing: trying to golden everything. I have a feeling this will take a long time.. But then I think: the French one also took me a month, so we'll see. For Italian I also listened to some interesting lessons on YouTube about how to pronounce the language, there was a dictation where you had to write down what was being said. The last thing was listening to a Italian Let's Player to get familiar again with the language. It's been a while.

German is still my favorite (next to Greek), because I don't have to put effort in it anymore. I listened to almost 13 hours of audio in the background and I learned some unknown phrases like 'Im Eimer sein' and 'der Morgenmuffel'. I finished reading the January edition of Deutsch Perfekt.

: 28 / 74 Duolingo
: 77 / 92 Assimil - Le nouveau Grec sans peine (passive)
: 28 / 92 Assimil - Le nouveau Grec sans peine (active)
: 132 / 420 Hunger Games (Αγώνες Πείνας)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”