Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:18 pm

2017 - Summary of week 4

Another week when I was a little bit behind my planned schedule! As I had finished Sturmbringer (the final Elric book, in German translation), I was planning to do study some grammar - but I couldn't find my grammar book! (It's still invisible) Instead, I started reading a German science-fiction story called Sakriversum (it was written some decades ago, and takes place in the "future" - which in this book is 2018. :D ). I did a lot of Duolingo work (sometimes several sessions a day); I finished a Slovak phrase book and went back to the Slovake.eu lessons again; I kept reading in Irish; (and for computer-language related work: I studied many Javascript lessons on Codecademy; and found my way through the command line in Ubuntu).

-----
I won't have a lot of study time this weekend. My only hope is Sunday.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:30 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:2017 - Summary of week 4
(...) I was planning to do study some grammar - but I couldn't find my grammar book! (It's still invisible)

Methinks you should stop reading spells in your phantasy books aloud in the presence of cherished belongings?
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:44 pm

You're probably right - maybe it'll reappear if I read the whole Elric saga backwards.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:45 pm

2017 - Summary of week 5

Last week was mainly spent on Duolingo and Anki, with some occasional reading sessions (doing my best to catch up). I continued with the Kuulostaa Hyvältä series and did grammar exercises in Russian. I was at a birthday party where people code-switched effortlessly between Swedish and Norwegian. I also heard Somali (perhaps for the first time).
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:41 pm

2017 - Summary of week 6

Things don't always work out as I hope. I'm still behind my schedule - but Duolingo works fine (277 day streak). Funnily enough, sometimes (say, once a week?) when I'm about do run through my languages on the phone, the app gives me 10 points as soon as I choose the first language. I've also noticed that "Strengthen my skills" has 21 questions whereas any individual skill only has 17 questions.

I spent some time reading German and working on Russian grammar. Semi-language related activities include the Norwegian drama series "Valkyrien" and the Danish "Badehotellet", but I don't add that to my spreadsheet. I finished "Outliers" (Malcolm Gladwell) - the book that made the 10,000 hours idea famous. I've started reading "Refuse to choose" (Barbara Sher) - this book was recommended in the thread Several Projects vs. Perfectionism. It looks promising.

I've lately spent more time on computer-languages and martial arts, but that's life. I'm working this weekend so once again, my only hope is Sunday.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 pm

2017 - Summary of week 7

Mainly Anki, Duolingo and Russian grammar last week. The current theme is "The genitive used to denote possession". It has been a long time since I studied Russian regularly, but usually it only takes an exercise or two to get used to the concept. Now, to use it in practice is another thing... Something I like about the book (Russian in Exercises) is that you repeatedly encounter the same kind of vocabulary. There's a lot of книга, преподавател, карандаш, студентка etc.

Perhaps I'm the only one who instinctively translates "Where is [insert noun]?" with "Cá bhfuil...?" regardless of the Duolingo language I'm working on. Is super gaeilgeoir mé. ;)
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 pm

2017 - Summary of week 8

Oops, time for a late update. Another week of mainly Anki and Duolingo. Some language-related activities at work, e.g. finding decent study material for Korean (we had two dictionaries: one Swe-Kor and the other one Kor-Swe). I also meet native speakers of Finnish and Urdu on a daily basis (though my knowledge in Urdu is limited to a handful of phrases).

Other than this, I spent some time on learning/reviewing mathematics at Khan Academy and Python at Codecademy, I had two three-hour sessions of Irish music (bhí an-craic againn!), I worked on the 2x2x2 cube, I did my daily program of wingchun and silat, and I kept reading Refuse to Choose. It feels like it was written for me.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:48 am

2017 - Summary of week 9

Another week of mainly Anki and Duolingo. A long time ago, I imported Tatoeba decks for Esperanto, Mandarin and Portuguese. The software still gives me 50 new sentences per day.

I been working on/reviewing my Mandarin with the Interactive Chinese set of books. I read the dialogues and the grammar explanations and then do the exercises. I mix this with listening to the same content (though usually not on the same day).

I got inspiration to spend some time on Cantonese after watching the movie Iron Monkey (with Donnie Yen) - I understood one full sentence!
-無影腳.
4 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:04 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I got inspiration to spend some time on Cantonese after watching the movie Iron Monkey (with Donnie Yen) - I understood one full sentence!
-無影腳.

Always exciting to hear a whole sentence! :-)
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 pm

2017 - Summary of week 10

The Anki and Duolingo adventures continue. I haven't added new words for quite some time (except Cantonese the other week).

I like to mix activities - not strictly according to the Four Knights approach, but maybe grammar work one week, listening another week and so on. Some skills aren't maintained/developed at all. For instance, I don't write in any other languages than Swedish and English. I rarely speak (heaven forbid!). For German I mix reading (Sakriversum) and listening (currently Reise um die Erde in 80 Tagen, Jules Verne).

I heard some Italian at work during the weekend thanks to the event Primavera Italiana in my town.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”