Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:08 am

Summary of week 51
The week started with a migraine, but then things went better. I don't think I finished any books this week, but I'm close to finishing two or three in a couple of days.

I'm at lesson 78/29 (passive/active) in Finnish. I've decided to rush through the material and then maybe (that's a big maybe) go through it from the beginning again. What I probably should do in any case, is an active wave of lessons 50-100.

I finished lesson 5 in Slovak (with my usual lazy approach) and started lesson 6.

I brought home a beginner textbook+CDs in Persian, a phrasebook in Slovak/English and a fan-fiction Sherlock Holmes in Polish. Yeah, as if I knew any Polish... :roll: Maybe I'll continue my wanderlust lifestyle, when it's 2017.

I found the website for Polyglot Gathering 2017 and will likely register in a couple of days.

Immediate plans this week: finish whatever I want to finish. That might include the rest of a dust-collecting LR project in Finnish+Swedish.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:19 am

Immediate plans this week: finish whatever I want to finish. That might include the rest of a dust-collecting LR project in Finnish+Swedish.

And done! It turned out that I only had two more CDs to listen to, so one session yesterday (Wednesday evening) and one earlier today. I "read" the Finnish original, i.e. skimmed the text and tried my best to understand bits and pieces, then glimpsed at the Swedish translation to get the meaning, all in real time, no pause button. Ideally, I should have read the whole book in Swedish first, but I didn't. I'm the first one to say that this isn't the most enjoyable way to listen to an audiobook or read a book, but it can be done, and at this speed. At times it really felt as my brain was processing three channels at once - audio, target language and native language.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:00 am

Summary of week 52
I finished a book or two in Swedish. I did my daily work with Anki and Duolingo. I finished the Finnish LR project. And I did a couple of Assimil lessons per day, ending with lessons 91-100 on the afternoon of Dec 31st. Not as impressive as it may look, since I was rushing through everything. I probably should review lessons 52-100 in a semi-active manner as well.

Next chapter: Summary of 2016
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:56 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Summary of week 52
I finished a book or two in Swedish. I did my daily work with Anki and Duolingo. I finished the Finnish LR project. And I did a couple of Assimil lessons per day, ending with lessons 91-100 on the afternoon of Dec 31st. Not as impressive as it may look, since I was rushing through everything. I probably should review lessons 52-100 in a semi-active manner as well.

Next chapter: Summary of 2016

:shock: Wow! The pain train has already arrived at its destination?! You must be taking the express. I'm on the local, next stop 58/9.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm

Summary of 2016

2016 started off as a Wanderlust year. I skimmed through textbooks in made-up languages; I "read" books in languages with incomprehensible input; in Berlin I went to lectures in languages I didn't speak, and learned things about languages I knew nothing of before; I joined an SRS challenge; I got bitten by a red dragon; I read children's books in a Celtic language; I followed the steps of Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu in three languages; I took up dead languages; I finished six trees in Duolingo; I embarked on a pain train; I decided to study the language of the next Polyglot Gathering.

Boring statistics alert!

Top 5 languages
Swedish - 119 hours: 114.5 hours spent on reading and 4.5 on listening to an audiobook)
Cantonese - 60.5 hours: all on FSI lessons and SRS
English - 50.25 hours: 23.75 hours on reading and 26.6 hours on audio (podcasts etc. but no movies)
Finnish - 47.5 hours: 25 hours on lessons, 11.25 on an audiobook and the same number reading the book simultaneously (that's the way I count)
Chinese - 45.25 hours: 38.75 on grammar and SRS, 6.5 hours on reading

Top 6-10 languages
Spanish - 39 hours: 28.5 on grammar work+Duolingo, 9 on reading and 1.5 on listening (wow!)
Irish - 30.25 hours: 21.5 on grammar work+Duolingo, 5.25 on reading, 14 pages/3.5 hours of scriptorium
German - 30 hours: 21.5 on grammar work+Duolingo, 8.5 on reading
Italian - 22.5 hours: 18 on grammar work+Duolingo, 4.5 on shadowing
French - 18.75 hours: 10.75 on grammar work+Duolingo, 8 on reading

11-15
Welsh - 16.5 hours on Say Something in Welsh lessons
Portuguese - 13 hours: 12.5 on on grammar work+Duolingo, 2 pages/0.5 hour on scriptorium
Russian - 8 hours: all on reading
Slovak - 6.75 hours on Slovake.eu lessons
Latin - 6.25 hours: 5.25 on lessons from Via Nova 1, 1 hour of listening (that must have been the lecture by Roberto (Robertus!) Salazar in Berlin)

16-20
Ancient Greek - 5.25 hours on lessons from my textbook in high school
Toki Pona - 3.5 hours on lessons from Toki Pona: The language of good +making SRS cards
Romanian - 1.25 hours on reading (children's books)
Indonesian - 1 hour: the lecture by Maria Weidner in Berlin
Ukrainan - 45 minutes: the lecture by Marta Melnyk in Berlin

As you can see, no time spent on Cornish or Esperanto (which are both in my profile), but they are hidden in my daily Anki reviews.

-----

Books read in 2016

101 in total (including a handful of target-language comic books): 10 in English, 6 (!) in Romanian (considering the mere 1.25 hours of reading above, these books were pretty thin...), 4 in Irish (two Asterix adventures, two books), 2 in German (in translation from Michael Moorcock's original English), two children's books in Chinese, and one each in French, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Finnish and Toki Pona. Admittedly, the Italian, French and Toki Pona entries are textbooks I finished, so those don't really count. Still, almost a three-digit number, and about 80 of them in my native Swedish.

---

I can't believe you read the entire post! 8-)
13 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Your counting reminds me of my old boss. We got paid for travel time, so he figured if he had a two hour train ride and spent the two hours working on his laptop, he could count four hours on his time sheet.
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:09 pm

Haha! In the rare cases I actually do LR (and not just write about how good (I think) it is), I count both activities. Some people say that it's impossible to focus on two things simultaneously (and possibly that it's counter-productive), while I really feel that either activity helps the other, and that the effect (for me) is doubled. I remember Professor Arguelles once arguing against it, but later (in a Youtube video) he suggests the opposite (something with using Assimil material where the teaching language is also a target language, as in listening to L3 while reading L2).

Anyway - the number of languages I spent (some) time on were still twenty. It came as a bit of surprise. I haven't done this kind of "Top list" summary before, but instead just kept a log per language (back in the HTLAL days). I wasn't too surprised by the Top 5, although I didn't expect a Cantonese silver medal.

By the way, 525.25 hours in total (all languages) is a low number compared to my first track-keeping years: 1477.5 hours in 2008, 2219.25 hours in 2009, 1613.75 hours in 2010. Then the hours went down to the current amount. This is not surprising. I took university courses back then, and spent a lot of time on listening. I never left the house without my mp3-player. I listened at least three times as much as I read.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 pm

2017 - Summary of week 1

The year has started pretty OK. If my notes are correct, I've spent roughly 15 minutes a day on most of my languages. I read in German (and Swedish and English), do grammar exercises in Russian and Chinese, study Cantonese with FSI, Finnish with the youtube series Kuulosta hyvältä, and Slovak with slovake.eu. So, approximately two hours per language so far.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:16 pm

2017 - Summary of week 2

I managed most of what I did during week 1 - I'm only a little bit behind my planned schedule for a few languages, but that'll fix itself in a day or two.

An example of a good day if I'm not working, such as yesterday (Monday):

I did a round of Duolingo in German/Spanish/Irish/French/Portuguese/Italian
I read a couple of hundred pages in Swedish and English
I did my Anki reviews in Esperanto/Finnish/Irish/Cornish/Toki Pona/Romanian/Portuguese/Mandarin/Cantonese
I spent another 15 minutes on a Finnish lesson
I spent another 15 minutes on Cantonese grammar
I did a handful of 15-minute sessions on Russian grammar
I started reading "Around the world in 80 days" - in Irish (aloud!)
I finished an online course in Javascript (which I started two days ago)
I started another one around midnight...

...and I did my daily routines of wing chun and silat.
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:10 am

2017 - Summary of week 3

I'm still a little bit behind my planned schedule for a few languages (I was awayfrombooks for one day), but generally, I can squeeze in my Duolingo languages, my daily Anki reviews, and then reading in up to four languages and maybe some grammar work etc. in two-three others. I started reading in Irish again, and that feels great.

On top of this, I spent some time on programming.

Anyway, a new week and more time for languages. No plans this weekend, so plenty of time to catch up on lost study hours.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”