Systematiker's attempt at a log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N),
Has studied: English, French, German (I never took a test, no idea where I belong on the CEFR scale)
Studies: Arabic (Beginner)
Wishes to Study: Farsi/Persian

Re: Systematiker's attempt at a log

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Hmm, I must have accidently deleted my reply. Anyway, this is the dialect clip:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3t66KOAfyFY

:(
0 x
Corrections welcome in any language :)

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:11 pm

It's the weekend, but not all that much has changed since Wednesday due to a couple of very busy days.

The biggest update: I can now officially talk about it, we're moving in May. The seminary I work for has, up until now, been primarily an effort working with students in the developing world; we're now getting office space and classroom space, and I'll be serving part-time in a congregation in the area as well. We're headed up to Pennsylvania, and leaving our little island behind (and everyone thinks it's such a big move, but it's not across the ocean!).

That means a major change in my day, once we're up there. At present, because of the time offset, I don't usually begin doing anything on a weekday before noon. Prior to that, I'm with my son; after lunch he naps and my wife has him after he wakes (she's out of the house every weekday, I rarely am unless I've been called in to something). So lots of my language stuff is squeezed in there, or we listen to podcasts while we play. In the latter half of the year, though, I'll be going in the office in the mornings (my wife will be staying home with our son), and while I'll have more tasks to complete, the overall situation is such that I've got more time for everything. The teaching appointments won't change, but I won't have to try to complete all the back-end stuff after noon; I'll be preaching every Sunday, and thus writing a sermon, but that's also guaranteed time for Greek and Hebrew.

So yay!

Here's the stand of things:

Spanish
ES Reading: 1845 / 10000 ES Film: 68 / 200
I've been watching El Ministerio del Tiempo, and very much enjoying it. I haven't yet gotten into another novel, I think I'm going to try to wrap up the ones I've started so far.

Catalan
CAT Reading: 0 / 10000 CAT Film : 3 / 200
Still on lesson 14 of Assimil, because I haven't had time to move forward, but I have had the dialogues playing now and again. I watched another episode of Gran Nord, and I'm not having any trouble really understanding it - the occasional word here and there is unfamiliar, but between the subtitles and the context, I can usually figure it out. Clozemaster is going well, I've played 4% of the corpus so far.

Basque
I did not even make it back through my second run-through of the first seven lessons. I'll have to consolidate those, put some stuff into quizlet, and get going again next week.

French
FR Reading: 749 / 10000 FR Film: 46 / 200
Some more of Ainsi soient-ils, which I'll probably finish off tonight. I thought there were only six episodes in the season, and I was very not happy in the last 5-7 minutes of episode six, I thought the whole series was going to end that way. Reading and listening as well.

Russian
A major deviation in text and audio for lesson 8 meant I had to do both versions to get the benfit of the audio. I'm still proceeding well based on my former experience, but I notice the curve getting a bit sharper.

Swedish
SV Reading: 155 / 10000 SV Film: 28 / 200
Not loads of progress here, in part because for a couple things I'm not counting pages until I'm done with the book. It also occured to me - hey, SVT's website has other shows too! I didn't watch much, a lot of what looked interesting is geoblocked. Clozemaster as well for those small spaces.

Danish
DK Reading: 25 / 10000 DK Film: 3 / 200
I'm treading water here for the moment, basically just the daily podcast and Clozemaster.

Scottish Gaelic
I've done nothing since Wednesday, though I did get a movie in Gàidhlig to watch.

Welsh
Also nothing since Wednesday.

Latin
LAT Reading: 20 / 10000
Continuing the trend, nothing since Wednesday.

Ancient Greek
GK Reading: 15 / 10000
Nothing since Wednesday.

Hebrew
As I said Thursday, re-introducing Pimsleur is going OK. Otherwise, no progress.

Finnish
I've made it through lesson 5 of Assimil, and when listening to the audio I can follow it (or I remember it, one of the two).

Arabic
No progress.

Korean
No progress.

Scots
No progress.

Dutch
Read a bit of news.

Temptation
Apparently, El Ministerio del Tiempo has been adapted in Portugal, and it looks like a pretty straight-up copy. I watched the trailer, and it looks like the characters are the same, and just the thumbnails from the first few episodes (on Youtube, but probably also on the RTP site) look like many of the same storylines. I'm super tempted to watch it and see how much I can catch, especially since I'll already be familiar with the storyline. I'm not exactly ready to add another language - as you can see, all it takes is a couple unusual days to totally throw my schedule for the ones I have. But then I think about the videos Expug posted for children, and I think about how little effort it would take to get passive comprehension (and who says I have to work on it actively right now), and I'm tempted. Maybe if I get everything else done in a day, and get halfway back on track this weekend, I might try an episode out.
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:55 pm

Have you seen På spåret yet? I got 22 points this time (one more than the losing team).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:59 am

Hey, sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere, but which Assimil version are you using for Russian?
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:40 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Have you seen På spåret yet? I got 22 points this time (one more than the losing team).

I looked last night and the svt site didn't show a new episode, I thought maybe they skipped this week for some reason. I'll have to watch it!

Fortheo wrote:Hey, sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere, but which Assimil version are you using for Russian?

I have the old Le Russe sans peine from the 50s (no date) and the English-vector version from 1951. I only have the audio for the latter, though. So far it matched 5/7 times.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:02 am

It's better than it looks: or, why I picked 10k pages and 200 hours.

This is more of a meta-update, to explain a thought process for anyone who is interested. The tracking numbers seem kind of random; the pages are the old SC (or a double of the current one), but what relation do they have to film/audiobooks/whatever? And why did I go from 100 90-minute films to 200 hours?

Because they're equal, and because it's half of what I'm doing. Check this out:

Given average reading speeds and average words per page for novels, 10k pages falls somewhere between 250-300 hours, depending on language and ability. Let's say it's only 200, for math and to lowball.

That's 400 hours in each target language I'm tracking like this, right?

Well, add in the large amount of listening I do. Danish is probably the language I listen to least - and I know I'm doing at least two hours weekly (Danish is also easy to count, I have 20 minutes six days a week and 70 on Sundays; again, I'm rounding down to 120 minutes as a minimum figure). Through 2017, that's another 100 hours. That should give me 500+ hours in each full-count target language in 2017, and none of them are languages that I'm a beginner in (and for Spanish or French, well, look back at the numbers from when I stopped tracking it. It's significantly more, looking at a total of 700-800 input hours).

And that's all rounded down.

So even when it looks like I'm making no progress, I've got my listening, and I've got all year.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:56 am

This is the episode you're looking for:
http://www.svtplay.se/video/12085658/pa ... -avsnitt-8
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 am

I didn't keep count, and I also played with my boyfriend, so I don't know how well I did. Together, we got 23 points. I think I got full pott twice, so six points from me.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:15 am

Time to feel good about myself: 30 points! I went 10-8-0 on the destinations, though, so that helped a lot.

Actually, there were a couple of times I was lost language-wise, so it was a good episode in terms of the game, less so in terms of my comprehension.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:47 am

This week has been extremely busy, so I've basically been absent - I've slipped on to read a bit, but even now, I've got a lot to catch up on.

Here's an attempt at an update, for the bit I've done. I can't find my bars right now, I'll update them later:

Spanish
I finished a book, started another one, listened a bunch and spoke several times. I even needed it with a student, surprisingly (ok, we could have done without it, but it made things way easier). I actually noticed some interference from Catalan in my Spanish a couple of times this week, which is not a bad thing for Catalan, but not necessarily something I want for Spanish.

Catalan
I'm on lesson 21 of Assimil, but mostly I've been doing clozemaster and listening to podcasts. 14-day streak and 14% of the corpus. Good understanding of podcasts. I've also had to look up a ton of food words in Spanish where I didn't know it in either language for Assimil.

Basque
After some bumps, I've re-re-revised through lesson 6 of Assimil, and it's starting to stick. I've done a bit of clozemaster as well, and it's going fair; I'll be working in some Gorka and some other SRS in the coming week.

French
After finishing Ainsi soient-ils (what the hell was that ending, by the way? Everything is hanging!) I started something else, the name of which I can't remember right now because it's been a week. I've tried to do a bit more reading as well, and really chipped away at my backlog of podcasts.

Russian
I'm on lesson 9 of Assimil, but basically I do each one twice, once through French with no audio and once through English with audio and different text. I've also finished the 3rd disk of Michel Thomas. I've started doing clozemaster as well, which is going OK, but half the time I don't know what I'm getting.

Swedish
A few podcasts and a tiny bit of reading. Keeping with my lack of watching from like, Tuesday on, I haven't watched this week's episode yet. I've tried the German-origin clozemaster, and it's at least more fun than trying to do SRS when you already know everything. The desire to keep a streak going is getting me to do it.

Danish
I didn't even manage to make the daily stuff every day in Danish, though I did manage clozemaster. The "5 minutes" aspect of it really is helping me out. I'm seriously considering mostly focussing on reading here, and going ahead to what I want to read in the language anyway; I can probably hack it.

Latin
Thankfully, Latin never seems to really wither if I ignore it, and boy, did it get ignored this week.

Ancient Greek
I might have read a verse this week, but that would be it.

Hebrew
I think I remember doing some SRS earlier in the week, but otherwise nothing.

Arabic
Nothing

Korean
Nothing

Welsh
I started lesson 8 of SSiW, but didn't finish it. I've also started doing Welsh in clozemaster, and it's working out really well for me.

Scottish Gaelic
I've begun the next chapter in both TYG and CSG, but not gotten more than a page in. I've also played over a third of the corpus for Gàidhlig in clozemaster, and that's helped immensely.

Dutch
Nothing

Scots
Nothing here either

Anything else?
There's a German writing course that I haven't started, and a bunch of other intersting stuff that I just don't have time for at the moment. Sigh.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”