Systematiker's attempt at a log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Systematiker's attempt at a log

Postby Systematiker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:59 pm

It just doesn't end. Where did my nice calm spring go? Ah well.

Spanish
ES Reading: 2114 / 10000 ES Film: 70 / 200
I’ve been doing a lot of Spanish lately. In part, I’ve felt like I need to push here and really achieve something, because it’s tantalizingly close. I feel competent in most areas, but I do still notice a lag between my productive and receptive abilities. Of course, I also know myself, and I don’t want to burn myself out on it. Additionally, I keep noticing a bit of Catalan interference in my Spanish, since I’ve been doing Catalan daily, and since I’m about 1000% more likely to use Spanish than Catalan, I’m wanting to strengthen my Spanish as much as possible. There’s also a very real chance that next Friday, I’ll have a native speaker who has seen my CV try to test me (but that’s ok, because my CV still says “intermediate”). I’m also thinking about accents, since I do so much better with Castillian. And then finally, some stuff Reineke has been posting about subtitles got me to try out various things without them last night – actually, I almost always watch with subtitles on, even in English (or German, for that matter), so I was thinking why bother, but I decided to try some different things last night. Castillian is fine, and Colombian was fine, Rioplatense kicked my butt (I was at like 75-80% comprehension). I also tend towards distincíon, but of course I learned what I learned before going to Europe with seseo, and occasionally I’ll mix it up – but then, almost everyone I meet speaks with seseo, and I don’t know what I should do about the way I speak. Basically, I haven’t come to any conclusions, I’m just pondering. Or whining.

Catalan
CAT Reading: 0 / 10000 CAT Film : 4 / 200
I haven’t been doing much with Catalan lately besides clozemaster and podcasts, in part because things have been busy and in part because I’ve been focusing on Spanish.

Basque
I managed to get back through the first 7 lessons of Assimil, and have done a small amount of clozemaster (did I say this already?). It’s simply going to be a long road due to its difficulty and the number of other things I’m doing.

French
FR Reading: 749 / 10000 FR Film: 49 / 200
I keep going back and forth on French. I’ve watched a ton of short videos (unreflected) and listened to a bunch of podcasts, and even read some – it’s behind Spanish, and there’s more gap between reception and production. So I want to work on French, and then I do stuff, and then I feel like I should be pushing Spanish, and then I think that both of them are going to be fine in a year so why push now, and then I’m so fed up with it I go do something else.

Russian
I’m on disc 5 of MT, and that’s it. I want to buy an interlinear text I saw, it’s even a story I know (the death of Ivan Ilyich, which, interestingly, I assign to my students for another reason in a course I teach. It’s literally one of the best literary representations of the isolation of impending death and the feelings that individuals approaching death have, so I assign it in our Seelsorge unit on death to help people learn empathy and to express solidarity in the face of mortality), but I know I’m not there yet. Clozemaster is ok, it’s sort of making sense, and I could go back to Assimil if I had more time.

Swedish
SV Reading: 155 / 10000 SV Film: 29 / 200
Dang, I still haven’t even watched from Friday. Part of the problem is that safari keeps crashing when it plays video now, and I don’t know what’s causing it, but reloading the page five times in an hour gets old. I’ve kept up some podcasts, and done clozemaster, and read a bit in the Bible, though.

Danish
DK Reading: 25 / 10000 DK Film: 5 / 200
Pretty much the same as Swedish, but without the reading. Podcasts and clozemaster, until I feel like doing more.

Scottish Gaelic
I haven’t really made any progress in my courses, but doing clozemaster is making a lot of things make sense. I’ve done almost half the corpus (which isn’t huge), and how a lot of stuff works is becoming clear. I’ll probably push along slowly and return to the coursebooks, I don’t really have any timetable for this anyway.

Welsh
Clozemaster has been saving me when I haven’t been doing SSiW. I also started the first chapter of a text (1960 TY) which confused me for a good hour on the pronoun forms (yr wyf i yn dysgu vs. dw i’n dysgu, for example)

Latin
LAT Reading: 50 / 10000
Plugging along on the reading, but not consistently.

Ancient Greek
GK Reading: 20 / 10000
Same story as Latin.

Hebrew
I’ve not done much, but I got my SRS reviews caught up, so perhaps I’ll get back to something this week.

Arabic
I’m on disc 4 of the MT foundation, and I swear I’m missing stuff. There’s words I don’t know, but the students know, and I can’t recall them having been introduced. This may also be because I’m stretching it out so far.

Korean
Uff, nothing.

Finnish
Hey, I forgot this last time! Whoops. It’s ok, all I’ve been doing is clozemaster anyway.

Dutch
All this clozemaster love has led me to do a bit of it in Dutch as well. It’s low-pressure, I like maintaining my streak, and it’s helping. A little bit is better than nothing.

Scots
SCO Reading: 7 / 10000
Yup, I’ve not been doing anything here.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:33 pm

I considered switching dialects in Spanish too, but decided against in the end. I was afraid if I tried to switch my seseo for a ceceo, I'd end up with a seceo or a ceseo, or just talking like thith.

Strangely, I had no trouble with the Argentinian telenovela I watched, even though that's supposed to be a difficult dialect. Maybe that telenovela wasn't typical for the dialect. My hardest dialect so far is actually Castilian, but I'm getting better at it. I don't have any trouble with understanding the Spanish people I've spoken to in real life, but I find it difficult on TV.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 pm

I haven't managed last week's På Spåret either, actually...
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:30 pm

I think I got 25 (or thereabouts).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Postby outcast » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:03 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I considered switching dialects in Spanish too, but decided against in the end. I was afraid if I tried to switch my seseo for a ceceo, I'd end up with a seceo or a ceseo, or just talking like thith.

Strangely, I had no trouble with the Argentinian telenovela I watched, even though that's supposed to be a difficult dialect. Maybe that telenovela wasn't typical for the dialect. My hardest dialect so far is actually Castilian, but I'm getting better at it. I don't have any trouble with understanding the Spanish people I've spoken to in real life, but I find it difficult on TV.

It depends what you mean by "telenovela". Sometimes it does happen that if it was a real "Latin style" telenovela (which never have been massively popular in Argentina), sometimes the actors DO speak a bit stilted, which an accent that remains clearly coastal Argentine, but the use of slang is noticeably reduced if the intention is foreign distribution as well. If it is more of a comedy sitcom or police series, they usually will go full-blown on the slang and even pepper lunfardo expressions, if the setting is a working-class environment (which often it is).
1 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:52 am

Every time I visit your log I have an internal struggle about whether or not I should add two more languages to my routine :lol:

Keep up the good work. It's inspiring.
5 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:34 pm

outcast wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I considered switching dialects in Spanish too, but decided against in the end. I was afraid if I tried to switch my seseo for a ceceo, I'd end up with a seceo or a ceseo, or just talking like thith.

It depends what you mean by "telenovela". Sometimes it does happen that if it was a real "Latin style" telenovela (which never have been massively popular in Argentina), sometimes the actors DO speak a bit stilted, which an accent that remains clearly coastal Argentine, but the use of slang is noticeably reduced if the intention is foreign distribution as well. If it is more of a comedy sitcom or police series, they usually will go full-blown on the slang and even pepper lunfardo expressions, if the setting is a working-class environment (which often it is).

That's probably what got me - I didn't think it was too crazy in Llamame Francisco, though that was clearly for a wide audience, but historia de un clan was hard. I've also realized that El Marginal, which I bailed on a while back, was probably hard for the same reasons. Well, that's what practice is for. I turned on he Spanish subtitles to finish the episode last night, but then to make myself feel better I watched an episode of La Niña without subtitles and only missed one phrase.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Fortheo wrote:Every time I visit your log I have an internal struggle about whether or not I should add two more languages to my routine :lol:

Keep up the good work. It's inspiring.

Thanks! And here I was feelin bad about not doing much in some of these in the last couple of weeks.
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:19 am

I'm still around! There are many logs I'd like to have commented on, but I've only been getting on briefly and reading new posts.

We're currently the plague house, so I probably won't be properly back until next week - mostly, I've been doing Spanish and playing with Russian stuff when I've had empty space. I lost my clozemaster streak, and most things have ground to a halt, so it's stuff I can do without much brain-power (English, German, Spanish) or the little breaks have been Russian (why, I don't know). Swedish and Danish are very much not possible at the moment ("If I can understand half of it, the other half gives me a headache!" - not me).

I've managed to escape the illness so far, this time by following my trusty anti-illness regimen (passed on by my father-in-law). I'm sure it has no scientific basis, but it works for me (ahem, certain medical squirrels may wish to whack me for this): double my calorie intake, and kill it with alcohol. "Eat, drink, and be healthy" :D

Oh, I do have a reading and L-R plan for hitting these target numbers, based on my use of the Bible and some helpful Bible-reading plans, but I'll write more about that another time.
5 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 am

Systematiker wrote:double my calorie intake
You may want to develop a language study routine you can do while exercising. :-)
2 x

Return to “Language logs”