Systematiker's attempt at a log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: Systematiker's attempt at a log

Postby tastyonions » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Do you ever see "Aryan" and "Arian" get switched? I bet that would be an easy mix-up to make. :)
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:05 pm

tastyonions wrote:Do you ever see "Aryan" and "Arian" get switched? I bet that would be an easy mix-up to make. :)

That's another one!
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:00 pm

I feel like I've done a lot this week, though maybe I haven't. Here's the current stand:

Spanish
I've read a lot, and gotten back into watching some stuff. I went back to Ministerio del Tiempo, which I can now do much better, and I'm watching along in that. I wanted to start a show that Cavesa recommended, but it seems to be geoblocked for the US. Oh well. Some occasional good insights from laddering as well.

Catalan
For some reason, Catalan has my attention this week. The discovery of some great music, the regularity (and clarity) of doing Assiml, and just something about it have got me. I'm doing Assimil as if I'm already in the active phase, translating blind in both directions, and putting everything by phrase or sentence into quizlet. When I've got extra time, its Radio Catalunya. I even started watching Gran Nord, for which I have Ogrim to thank, I think. I was looking for something else and came across the recommendation; it even has reasonably accurate Catalan subtitles. There's the occasional turn of phrase that I don't get, but otherwise, I'm having no trouble watching. Now, I've just got to make sure that TV in Catalan doesn't tank my SC languages...

Basque
I've also been quite enamoured with Basque this week. I put the brakes on a bit, and restrained myself to just Assimil and SRS, because I'm sure I'm about to hit a more difficult patch. As I mentioned earlier, I even had a short conversation in Basque this week.

French
Back to watching Ainsi soient-ils, and doing a bit of reading. Some of the laddering is helping, as well. I already dread finishing the season, though, I've only got a couple episodes left, and then I don't know what I'll watch.

Russian
I'm on lesson 4 of Assimil. I re-did the first three one day, after getting the (mostly matching) audio, and I'm probably only going to manage weekdays. Nothing new yet, so it's moving right along.

Swedish
På spåret tonight! I haven't been doing any watching in Swedish other than that, weekly, but I've been reading more. Rather less podcasting, though.

Danish
Daily Morgonandagten and social media, but otherwise not too much.

Ancient Greek
Reading through 1 Peter, I'm actually still pretty good. I think the plan here is to keep at this to maintain.

Latin
Reading Augustine, not having to look anything up yet, but it's only about 5 lines a day.

Hebrew
SRS work, and I tried the first lesson of Assimil. No progress on the Jenni course.

Arabic
I've done the first two lessons of Assimil, and it moves very slowly. That's ok, maybe it works best that way. Sure takes pressure off, in any case, and I get the benefit of doing it through French.

Korean
After saying I was going to back off on Pimsleur, I did one each day anyway. I tried the first lesson of Assimil Coreen, it's ok, I'll keep doing it on weekdays probably.

Scottish Gaelic
I'm through chapter 2 of CSG and chapter 2 of TYSG, with almost everything in quizlet as well. Moving right along.

Welsh
I only did the one lesson of SSiW this week, and put it into SRS, but I may do lesson 7 this weekend.

Finnish
Having waited on the audio, I've only done lesson 1 of Assimil so far, but I think I can probably do one daily on weekdays, starting Monday.

Scots
Still reading a chapter a day from the Acks

Dutch
Nothing, I'm afraid, since the podcast I listened to on Monday. I've got all my listening as SC film time, as per the rules, so it looks like I'm OK there, but I still need to do a bit more, at least weekly, to make that target.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:33 pm

We lost power and internet last night, and the internet was gone for a while, so everything is up in the air - which means I still have not watched Avsnitt 7 of På spåret. No one spoil it yet, haha.

I did spend some time with other materials, and came to a couple of realizations: first, I'm going to start doing more than one Assimil lesson in Catalan each day. I'll probably overlap and go back, so it won't be double progress, but I'm limiting myself artifically. This morning, I tried out clozemaster for the first time, and there's a lot of language pairings there that work for me. I can do CAT-ES without problem, and I'm good enough to do Gàidhlig-English as well. I can guess my way through Cymraeg, but I'm not good enough to do Basque (yet!).

This post is now going to be abbreviated, as I've been informed that there's another band of storm coming (on an island, that kind of matters, so that's probably it for the internet for a while).
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:24 pm

What is Basque like? Is it truly so completely different to the other european langauges? what is so different, and has it got some similarities as well?
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Systematiker wrote:We lost power and internet last night, and the internet was gone for a while, so everything is up in the air - which means I still have not watched Avsnitt 7 of På spåret. No one spoil it yet, haha.

I got 25 points, which was lower than the other teams. No spoiler, but you definitely know the answer to one of the questions (as does everybody else on this forum).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Systematiker wrote:
tastyonions wrote:Do you ever see "Aryan" and "Arian" get switched? I bet that would be an easy mix-up to make. :)

That's another one!

Not to mention Arion (and the dolphin), if you're reading Herodotus.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:43 pm

I got three points. I should have got four but I changed my mind at the last moment to the wrong answer. Not that it would have made much difference anyway.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Only 11 points this time around.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---