Lucy 祝子琭's log 「EN, FR, ZH, JP, IT」

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zhuzilu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Galician (N)

English (C1-2), French (Upper-int), Chinese (Int),

Learning: Italian & Japanese

Stand-by: Korean & Portuguese

Lived in: Reims, France (4 months)
Durham, UK (1 year)
Taipei, Taiwan (6 months)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2618

Re: Lucy 祝子琭's log // Super challenge「EN, FR, ZH」// TAC // Japanese & Korean false beginner

Postby zhuzilu » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm finally free! So I'll be having more time to learn languages, I still have to work full time and have a life, so I'm not completely free, but who is it?

Okay.. I've been wandering about studying Japanese or Korean, which one should I choose.... and all those topics, and I want to go for Japanese, I've already started to relearn hiragana, almost everything learned. I need to learn Katakana. Besides, I've also download a Noken N5 deck with the kanji + hiragana + romaji, it's a good exercise to practice reading the kana and at the same time get familiar with kanji, I would say an 90% of the kanji that I've seen I'm familiar with, so that's nice! :) I'm also doing memrise for japanese, I don't know why, because it's mostly the same deck, but I like to use the multiple choice answers as a change, although I think I'll be sticking to Anki.

For the SuperChallenge, the last few weeks I've been reading/watching:
- The girl on the train in English. I really didn't like it, it wasn't a really page-turner, it got me all bored since the beginning and it was quite obvious how it was going to end.
- Orange is the New Black (English). As every season I binge-watched it in a weekend, sometimes it was quite slow-paced, but some other parts were quite thrilling, and the end was... well devastating, but amazing at the same time. Although, I won't be watching it again, until I binge-watch Season 5. I don't think this is a TV series worth rewatching...
- Fresh Off the Boat (English). I love this TV series, it's one of my favourites at the moment, I can't wait for it to get dubbed in Spanish, because I've got a ton of friends that don't like watching things in English, so sad...
- The Mindy Project: this series used to be amazing, right now it's bearable, but well I don't know... It's kind of starting to decline... Sadly because I really love Mindy Kaling. Hope it'll get better!

- In French, I've only watched Friends and Malcolm haha, not really french at all.... But I don't really know what to watch, I should be searching a bit more, although I really like Friends and Malcolm and I'm enjoying rewatching them, so maybe I'll keep doing it a little bit more.

- In Chinese, I've started a new drama today, it's a Taiwanese drama Bromance 愛上哥們, it's plain ridiculous hahaha, with those fake fights, and drama moments, but I'll be sticking with it. That's the best part of dramas or tv series, you have a looong time to get used to the characters and their voices, as opposed to a film. Also, I'm watching it in Viki, and it's so funny to read the comments at the same time, this time the comments are mostly written in English and French so it's good practise on the side haha.
I also watched 誰的青春不迷茫 Yesterday once more, It was also this kind of ridiculous teen drama vibe, but I quite like it, so I recommend you to watch it.

So my goals for this week are:
- Reviewing Anki everyday for the Kana and the N5 kanji. (JA)
- Studying Anki HSK 5 and HSK 6 list (ZH)
- Doing a couple of Assimil Japanese lessons a day (JA)
- Finish reading Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore (EN)
- Watch a couple more episodes of Bromance 愛上哥們 (ZH)
0 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023
English
Books: 0 / 50
Films: 0 / 50

Chinese

Italian

Olekander
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (Native), French, Russian.
Studied: Latin, Catalan, Spanish, Mandarin, Czech, Ukrainian

Studying: Turkish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2995

Re: Lucy 祝子琭's log // Super challenge「EN, FR, ZH」// TAC // Japanese & Korean false beginner

Postby Olekander » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:15 pm

zhuzilu wrote:
Olekander wrote:Best of luck with your challenge!!

I've noticed you're a native speaker of Galego, I'm sure a lot of people here would love for you to recommend any good learning materials!!

Thanks for inspiring me to do it, actually I had a lot of fun looking for resources. I definitely found more than I was expecting! So if you get tired of studying Catalán, or want to start with Galician, check the post ;) hehehe

http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3127

Ciao Lucy! Unha lingua nunca é abondo!

Sorry I didn't reply to the previous post. I certainly should have done!

I actually haven't studied Catalan in over 8 years now or even more, was first year of uni and I'm 25 now. I'm weighing up what language to study next. I'm currently only focusing on Russian, but that's to get to a level so I can read full blown novels without a dictionary. conversationally I'm fine so I'm not particularly worried. Wondering what to start next. I think it may well be Catalan again. Although I'm certainly going to dabble in Galego now that you've put all those lovely resources in a post!!! moitas grazas!
1 x
Да нет. :roll:

: 1000 / 1000 1,000 Russian words: started 15/06/2016 :)
: 15 / 365 365 scriptorium transcriptions: started 19/06/2016
: 2 / 1010 Russian books: 4/06/2016
: 3 / 2121 units of Parla.cat

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:37 am

Ciao Lucy! Unha lingua nunca é abondo!

Sorry I didn't reply to the previous post. I certainly should have done!

I actually haven't studied Catalan in over 8 years now or even more, was first year of uni and I'm 25 now. I'm weighing up what language to study next. I'm currently only focusing on Russian, but that's to get to a level so I can read full blown novels without a dictionary. conversationally I'm fine so I'm not particularly worried. Wondering what to start next. I think it may well be Catalan again. Although I'm certainly going to dabble in Galego now that you've put all those lovely resources in a post!!! moitas grazas!

No worries! I'm so glad that you're interested in the language :)
So many languages so little time! :lol: Where did you study Catalan? Which Uni did you attend? I went to Durham last year and they also have Catalan courses, it's really amazing!
0 x
English

Chinese

Italian

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:02 am

The past few days I've been hooked with this Taiwanese Drama "愛上哥們" (Bromance) hahahaha and it's seriously the most ridiculous drama ever. The plot itself is completely absurd. A couple go to a fortune teller person to ask for the fortune of their baby, and the fortune teller guy told them that he would have lots of fortune and luck, but they messed up in someone way, because they finally got a girl, and the fortune teller told them that if the baby was a girl, she would have the worst luck ever... And she'll die.... Then, he offered the only solution which was to raise the baby as a boy until she was 26 years old, after her 26th birthday she could be a woman.... hahahaha Okay....

Then the gender bender character which name sounds like "Piano", gets in a lot (and I truly say "A LOT") of embarrasing situations :lol:
And even in the first episode you could see how Piano kind of "marries" to the other main character, that he has just met and he's the heir of a triad mafia leader. It's not really a marriage but it looks like, it's supposed to be a ceremony in a temple in which they swear eternal friendship or something with a blood oath hahaha And then they call each other 拜拜兄弟 baibai xiongdi¡. It means sworn brothers. 拜拜 baibai is when you offer something to a deity or in Taiwan when they "pray" with the joss sticks at temples.

tl:dr If you enjoy watching absurd dramas with some sort of LGTB content (just sort of) and lots of funny/ridiculous drama moments, corny and cheesy cryings, fake staged triad mafia fights, then go watch it.

Apart from that, my goals for the month of July for the Superchallenge are:

• Chinese: Reach 1125 minutes (Films) and 627 pages (Books)
  • English: Reach 1125 min (Films) and 627 pages (Books)
  • French: Reach 2250 minutes (Films) and 1251 pages (Books)

Actually, in English I've reached the level of September in films and the level of August in Books. So I shouldn't be touching any English, until the end of summer. Although I'm reading a book right now "Annie on my mind" and I'll probably finish it, because it's so lovely, it's a lesbian love story, so cute and it was written in 1982, way before I was even born. I love it! :)

For Chinese films, I'm almost done and especially now that I'm watching this drama, I'll get through it quite easily. I should put more energy into reading!

As for french, I really need to find a TV series that I love so I can binge watch, I've watched already some seasons of Malcolm in the middle and Friends, but I'll prefer to watch a French one.... And for the books I'll have more time to read from now on. So it wouldn't be really hard...
0 x
English

Chinese

Italian

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:00 pm

I've just finished watching 愛上哥們 Bromance, that was intense.... I went from 250 minutes to 1800 minutes in 12 days, hahaha. My listening comprehension improved quite a lot. I actually loved this drama, but it was taking over my life!! It's way too addicting and I couldn't do any other things.

Now that I have more free time, and that the film part of the SC is more even (all my challenges are about 20 films), I need to focus more on reading, specially in Chinese and French.

Also, I want to use some time to dive into Japanese.

So my goals for last week were:
- Reviewing Anki everyday for the Kana and the N5 kanji. (JA) [50% I did it a couple of days]
- Studying Anki HSK 5 and HSK 6 list (ZH) [50% I did a couple of days]
- Doing a couple of Assimil Japanese lessons a day (JA) [50% I did it a couple of days]
- Finish reading Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore (EN) [DONE, and started reading another book]
- Watch a couple more episodes of Bromance 愛上哥們 (ZH) ["A couple" LOL completely DONE]

And this week (I know it's Tuesday but I mean this week starting last yesterday), my goals would be:
- (EVERY DAY) Anki: N5 deck, HSK5 and HSK6 decks. (JA-ZH)
- (EVERY DAY) Assimil: review previous lessons and learn 3 new ones (JA)
- Read at least 20+ pages of the book 小时代1.0
- Watch 1 or 2 episodes of a new Taiwanese drama 料理高校生 Love Cuisine
- Finish reading "Annie on my mind" (Already done, I finished it yesterday)
- Watch some Friends in French

And that's all! So basically I want to focus on reading in Chinese + kickstarting Japanese! :)
1 x
English

Chinese

Italian

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:49 pm

I haven't posted in 2 weeks, but the goals for the previous weeks were:

- (EVERY DAY) Anki: N5 deck, HSK5 and HSK6 decks. (JA-ZH) Did it almost everyday, I would say 70% of the days
- (EVERY DAY) Assimil: review previous lessons and learn 3 new ones (JA) I haven't followed it everyday, I'm on lesson 15
- Read at least 20+ pages of the book 小时代1.0 Done! I read more than 30, and I'm on my way to another chapter
- Watch 1 or 2 episodes of a new Taiwanese drama 料理高校生 Love Cuisine Well... the 1 or 2 ep turned out to be 10+ :lol:
- Finish reading "Annie on my mind" (Already done, I finished it yesterday) I had already done it
- Watch some Friends in French Watched a few, need to find something more interesting. I love Friends don't get me wrong, but I'm not a huge fan of their French voices...

My goals for this week (until Sunday):
- (EVERY DAY) Watch something in French (FR)
- Read at least 20+ more pages of the book 小时代1.0 (ZH)
- Watch [just] 1 or 2 episodes of 料理高校生 Love Cuisine (ZH)
- Finish reading "Harry Potter and the cursed child" and "Fun home" (EN)
- Read 40 pages of Le Monde de Narnia (FR)
1 x
English

Chinese

Italian

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:56 pm

zhuzilu wrote:My goals for this week (until Sunday):
- (EVERY DAY) Anki: N5 deck, HSK5 and HSK6 decks. (JA-ZH) Half of the days
- (EVERY DAY) Assimil: review previous lessons and learn 3 new ones (JA) A couple of days, not much
- (EVERY DAY) Watch something in French (FR) Success! Watched all the 3rd season of Friends
- Read at least 20+ more pages of the book 小时代1.0 (ZH) Success! Read 41 pages
- Watch [just] 1 or 2 episodes of 料理高校生 Love Cuisine (ZH) Well... Shamelessly I demolished them in a few days
- Finish reading "Harry Potter and the cursed child" and "Fun home" (EN) Half success I finished the HP one but not the other
- Read 40 pages of Le Monde de Narnia (FR) I don't think I have read more than 10 pages...

Okay, so again 2 weeks have passed, Let's check what I've done.

This is what I've read and watch in the last weeks:

- Harry Potter and the cursed child by J.K. Rowling: Amazing! I mean... It's Harry Potter... Even tough I'm not a fan of theatre and the story structure, the plot itself and everything was really nice.
- Simon vs the homo sapiens agenda by becky albertalli: I'm going through a phase of reading all LGTBQ related, this book was quite popular on goodreads, but I seriously don't know... Well,... I guess for a YA novel is not bad... Although I seriously enjoy reading about LGTBQ characters and stories, growing up there weren't that many LGTBQ things apart from Dykes to watch out for (which I think I read when I was 10, and almost didn't get anything hahaha)
- Same Difference and Other Stories by Derek Kirk Kim: Graphic novel. I've read a review in which they compared it with Fun Home (which I'm reading right now), Persepolis and American Born Chinese. And .... not even close! Persepolis and ABC are one of my all time favourite graphic novels!
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz: Another LGTBQ book, this was way better than the other one.
- In English I watched some terrible movies: Finding Dory, Date and switch, Annie (the newer one). I'm not even going to bother to talk about them.

I watched also the new Netflix series "Stranger things" and I loved it, I watched in Spanish though... Because my girlfriend doesn't like to read subtitles, but still even in Spanish it was amazing, that 80's vibe, and all the paranormal things that happen, that kid's squad, it was so entertaining. I watched it in a day.

- I kept reading that 小时代1.0 Tiny Times 1.0 book, it's not a masterpiece, but well I'm more or less enjoying it.
- I read this full mini story 這樣的我 , 是否能夠喜歡那樣的你 (The Way That We Are, Can We Still Fall in Love), 32 pages, and I like it better, maybe because it was easier for my level, I didn't have to search every two characters and it has a list of characters. I found it in Fluentu's blog, they describe it as "A modern romance exploring the lives and complicated love stories of urban working millennials".
So if you want to start reading some chinese, this is a good one. This is the link https://www.wattpad.com/story/51676603-%E9%80%99%E6%A8%A3%E7%9A%84%E6%88%91-%E6%98%AF%E5%90%A6%E8%83%BD%E5%A4%A0%E5%96%9C%E6%AD%A1%E9%82%A3%E6%A8%A3%E7%9A%84%E4%BD%A0
- 料理高校生 Love cuisine, amazing Taiwanese Drama hahaha, well not really.... If you want to learn more about cuisine and watch some childish 30-something characters painfully slowly take bad decisions and finally fall in love, then watch this one. It's addictive.
- I also watched 致青春:原來你還在這裡 never gone, really bad, I didn't like it at all... It was better 致我們終將逝去的青春 So Young.

- Finally, Friends in French. So funny, although I'm getting tired of it, because I don't like the French voices...
- Also, started watching Les revenants the 2nd season, but I completely forgot about the 1st season, because I watched it for the last SC, and it's not as good, and it's quite slow... So I need to find some other French films or tv series...

My goals for this week (until Sunday):
- (EVERY DAY) Watch something in French (FR)
- Read at least 20+ more pages of the book 小时代1.0 (ZH)
- Finish reading "Fun home" and some other books (EN)
- Read 40 pages of Le Monde de Narnia (FR)

Quite similar to previous ones, but I'll try to do them this week.
2 x
English

Chinese

Italian

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:24 pm

I admire your daily goals! Do you mind sharing a little bit more detail about when, exactly, you do your Anki, Assimil, and videos? I haven't developed a good daily routine yet, myself.
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:44 am

arthaey wrote:I admire your daily goals! Do you mind sharing a little bit more detail about when, exactly, you do your Anki, Assimil, and videos? I haven't developed a good daily routine yet, myself.

Thank you very much! But I still need to do more, I mean the goals are mostly weekly, as for my daily routine, I mostly do Anki in my spare time (walking somewhere, waiting for things, and such and it's only about 15minutes/everyday), then at my work sometimes I have 3-4 "free" hours, in which I can read and that's when I do my reading. As for the Assimil, I do it in my lunch break with my headphones, and after work I just watch some TV/films. And that's mostly what I from Monday to Thursday then on the weekends I'm in my hometown hanging around enjoying the last bits of summer...

When the school year starts again I'll be more focused on doing more Japanese things and getting more "pure" studying done... I hope! hehe
2 x
English

Chinese

Italian

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:50 am

zhuzilu wrote:My goals for this week (until Sunday):
- (EVERY DAY) Anki: N5 deck, HSK5 and HSK6 decks. (JA-ZH) I have only done it for a couple of days. 20%
- (EVERY DAY) Assimil: review previous lessons and learn 3 new ones (JA) Fail 0%
- (EVERY DAY) Watch something in French (FR) nothing
- Read at least 20+ more pages of the book 小时代1.0 (ZH) nothing
- Finish reading "Fun home" and some other books (EN) Done and started reading the BFG
- Read 40 pages of Le Monde de Narnia (FR) Nothing

Well, I failed quite miserably, I truly need to find some books + films that interest me to watch in French, because I've been mostly watching some dubbed shows that I have watched in Spanish and English, and I don't get really excited about them... Because the voices doesn't sound funny to me. Maybe I should try watching non-comedy things... I don't know...

As for Japanese I haven't done any of my goals, but I've been reading this notes in Japanese. They are in Spanish so if you are a native speaker of Spanish, or learning Spanish and Japanese, check them out.
https://bokunoshumi.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/apuntes1.pdf

I don't think I'll be doing much this week, because I'm going to Barcelona, so I'll try to read/watch something in French, English and Chinese.
0 x
English

Chinese

Italian

Return to “Language logs”