tiia's log (FIN, SPA, SWE, EUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish)

Postby tiia » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Well, I haven't been updating anything for a while. My project at the university is slowly coming to an end. Basically I'll get some kind of problem, if I don't hand it in until next tuesday. I've noticed the last days how super productive I can be at nighttimes, although being somehow tired.
So if been fighting mostly with LaTeX the last days and that the results of my work are not as I want them to be. At least I know now, what I would do differently next time. :? Since after this project there is only my thesis left, there will be such a "next time", and the experience might be actually useful. I can even imagine that this is the main purpose of those projects. - Making sure the student avoids certain mistakes in the final thesis.

Registration for language classes started today and I'm again on the waiting list for people, who have done too many courses already. :D I thought I would be fast, but obviously signing up in less than 5sec after the registration opened, only got me on the second position of that list. (Yes, you have to be that fast sometimes.)
But I guess that this time I will have a place in the course for sure. There are not too many students at this level anymore - and many of them actually end up on the same waiting list.

I'll neglect my goal of writing every time something in Spanish (and Finnish) today.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Well I really have some content for an update this time. :)
First, I finished my project at the university and I finished Harry Potter 4 before the weekend. Then I also got the place in the language class that starts tomorrow. I also couldn't resist to buy some Spanish excercise book, when going to a book store. It's mainly about verbs and tenses and I hope to pick out some tasks every now and then.

This weekend I was on a trip with exchange students. That was absolutely spontaneus, because someone else got sick and I had to replace him. There were a lot of Spanish students and one person from Finland. So basically I spoke all the languages I know, but I really had problems to speak Finnish after hearing so much Spanish first.

El español fue también muy útil, porque la gente española era muy difícil. Algunos nunca nos escuchaban y por eso fue una excursión muy, muy dura totalmente. Pero había también unas personas amables. :)

En oikeesti tiiä, mitä voisin kirjoittaa tänään suomeksi. Ehkä, että mietin, minkä kirjan luen seuraavaks. No mut se todennäköisesti on Teemestarin kirja, eli melkein selvä se on.
2 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:24 pm

Time for an update.
I spoke with another Finn this week for about 2 hours. Even though he's learning German we only spoke Finnish. (I even offered him to speak German as well.) Lucky me. :D But I noticed I'm making way too many stupid mistakes. I know the grammar... Damn it.

The Spanish class started the day after my last post. We finally started doing way more interesting tasks, like writing a story in groups. We got pictures and had to take turns: Drawing a card and of course continuing the story. You never knew what card comes next, except at the end where we cheated a bit. The story got quite messed up as there were ships, castles, a dragon, pirates, but also karaoke singing and a weird mexican guy.
Especially in the first lesson I noticed most people there speak a lot more than I do, but oh.. well I, too, can speak more than I thought. Still it's probably not as much as the rest as I haven't spent any longer period in a Spanish speaking country (nor do I have a Spanish speaking boyfriend). But the level feels quite adequate and bringing me further.
And I have a reason to get out of bed two* times a week. :D
*and a third time due to uni sport.

I also picked up my Spanish certificates and noticed the switched the numbers on the last one. - The grades are right, but the amount of lessons etc. is somehow switched. I'm still thinking whether I should tell them or not...

Koska meidän internettijuttu on niin kuin se just on, mietin tänään, että katson taas vähän yle areenasta. Lopuksi katsoin perjantain uutiset ja Teekkarikulttuurin Tähdistön (Retuperän WBK ja Polyteknikkojen Kuoro) toisen puolen. Onpa mä nähny RWBK niin usein vaihtovuonna, kun ne tuli teekkarijuhliin. En tiiä, voiko joku ystävistäni Saksassa ymmärtää, miksi katsoin sitä.
(Saa korjata.)

En español practicamos un poco el indefinido e imperfecto y ayer también el subjuntivo presente. El curso se tratará todavía mucho más de subjuntivo en los otros tiempos. Además me practicamos expressiones como "me parece" o "me resulta" en la semana pasada.
El tema ahora es muy facíl: "las lenguas y yo". Pero creo que es útil para communicarse más fluidamente. Y como ya he escrito en inglés, no es la unica cosa en el curso. Narrar las historias fue muy divertido.
No he leído más de la novela "Abdel", pero no he leído mucho en finés tampoco.
(Correcciones son bienvenidos.)
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Re: tiia's log (Finnish, Spanish) - My personal travel challenge

Postby tiia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:57 pm

I have not yet written about my travel challenge I set some time ago. I call it "30 before 30", meaning I want to have travelled to 30 different countries before turning 30. I'm not sure whether to include Germany there or not. But I probably will for three reasons:
- I don't have so much time left until my 30th birthday. It's easier that way.
- When I lived a year in Finland I travelled to Germany once.
- I've been travelling within Germany several times already.
What happens, if I don't make it? I will change it to "31 before 31" and when I still don't get that done to "32 before 32" and so on.

I will only count countries where I've stayed for at least 24h, so there are three countries where I've crossed the border already that do not count yet (Mexico, Denmark, Poland). However I'm solving the issue with Poland next week, going there the first time for more than 24h.

Because I can already count 20 countries right now, there are only ten left for the next 2.5 years. Most of them will be probably somewhere in Europe, at least there are still enough countries left. I have already several destinations in mind and I'm somehow excited to visit them one day.

"Unfortunately" I will also travel to some countries, where I've already been to, just because I don't want to wait for so long to see those places again. But hopefully I can combine them with some "new" country.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Sounds like a fun challenge! I've only been to eleven by your criteria, and that is counting England, Scotland and Wales (which I think is probably cheating...)
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:47 pm

Elenia wrote:Sounds like a fun challenge! I've only been to eleven by your criteria, and that is counting England, Scotland and Wales (which I think is probably cheating...)

Yeah, I'd count them all as UK. Visited London, when I was ehm... maybe nine? Someday I should go there again, because my memories are so messed up. There are just fragments of the city in my mind, but I have no idea how to get from one fragment to another.
I probably had had the same issue with Berlin, but I've been there so often later on, that it's not such a problem anymore.

Luckily my parents like travelling, so I have some kind of advantage here. To be honest, without so many places visited already, I wouldn't have had the idea of making such a challenge.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:57 pm

tiia wrote:
Elenia wrote:Sounds like a fun challenge! I've only been to eleven by your criteria, and that is counting England, Scotland and Wales (which I think is probably cheating...)

Yeah, I'd count them all as UK. Visited London, when I was ehm... maybe nine? Someday I should go there again, because my memories are so messed up. There are just fragments of the city in my mind, but I have no idea how to get from one fragment to another.
I probably had had the same issue with Berlin, but I've been there so often later on, that it's not such a problem anymore.

Luckily my parents like travelling, so I have some kind of advantage here. To be honest, without so many places visited already, I wouldn't have had the idea of making such a challenge.

Well, if you want any hints or tips, I'm (probably not) your girl (but at least I can try)!
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Edit: Well, it's more than a year now. So that's what I'll leave of the original post:

Please, do not directly quote this post. (I want to leave myself the possibility to delete it someday.)

Please, don't tell me "everything will turn out fine". There's absolutely no question that something went totally wrong.
Last edited by tiia on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt

Postby tiia » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:17 pm

As addition to the previous post: I got two more emails today. The one from yesterday turned out to be more about how to avoid such issues in the future. And I did not mess up my studies completely. I passed. Not even that bad. (And there is no suitable smilie.)
Still don't really feel happy, but it probabaly takes time for me to realise.

And I'm right now in the city of dwarves! Hundreds of sweet little dwarves. :) Some of them even get additional clothes during the winter time. This one I found next to the university.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:09 am

I remember once being so surprised about actually passing that it took me a good few months to realise it and not be afraid of them realising they made a mistake. Well done on passing, I hope you're able to wind down soon.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”