Kida's Japanese Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Kida_4000061
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner/ lower intermediate), & French (Very Basic & mostly forgotten)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2190

Re: Kida's Japanese Log

Postby Kida_4000061 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:36 am

Goals for week 6:
-Complete Elementary School Kanji (Done!)
-Finish and take notes on chapter 1 of Strategies for Reading Japanese (Nope)
-Try out some vocabulary strategies (Nope)

I have finish cutting out Elementary School Kanji, and started the Jouyou Kanji. I also decided to cut back on the amount card that I am cutting out, so I can dedicate more time to studying.

I had not made any progress in Strategies for Reading Japanese, because I realized my knowledge of verbs was lacking and needed improvement before moving on in the book. I ordered The Handbook for Japanese Verbs to help with this problem.

Also, I have been looking in to making my own Lietner box, lately, for studying Kanji and only Kanji. I am still in process of planning what I am going to do with it before trying it out.

Goals for Week 7:
-Work on Verb book, if shows up next week
-Cut out Kanji everyday
-Finalize Lietner Box Plan

Optional Goals:
-Continue Transcription of Real Japanese

EDIT: I forgot mention that I got another book for Spanish called Spanish at Sight by Clark Stillman and Alexander Gode. It is very basic reader.
0 x
Real Japanese Transcription: 5 / 13
The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: 0 / 2
The Loom of Language: 3 / 12

Kida_4000061
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner/ lower intermediate), & French (Very Basic & mostly forgotten)

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:04 am

Goals for Week 7:
-Work on Verb book, if shows up next week (No book, nothing there)
-Cut out Kanji everyday (I didn't do any this week.)
-Finalize Lietner Box Plan (Looked at a spacing, no final plan.)

Optional Goals:
-Continue Transcription of Real Japanese (Thought about it)

I am waiting for 3 books: the verb book, a prefix and suffix book, and a 500 word frequency book. I organized some of my Japanese stuff on my computer. I got my first denshi jisho, Canon Wordtank IDP-700G, and I can't wait start using it.

Goals for Week 8:
-Work on Verb book, according to tracking it should be here this week or the next week
-Continue Transcribing Real Japanese & make a supplementary document
-Cut 3-4 pages of Kanji cards
-Enjoy using my new dictionary
0 x

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:34 am

I got my first denshi jisho, Canon Wordtank IDP-700G, and I can't wait start using it.

Google tells me "denshi jisho" でんしじしょ means "electronic dictionary". I am curious - what is it? is it like a smartphone? what are the advantages of using it over a pocket dictionary or a dictionary app on a computer?
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Zireael wrote:
I got my first denshi jisho, Canon Wordtank IDP-700G, and I can't wait start using it.

Google tells me "denshi jisho" でんしじしょ means "electronic dictionary". I am curious - what is it? is it like a smartphone? what are the advantages of using it over a pocket dictionary or a dictionary app on a computer?

It's literally an electronic dictionary xD it's not a smartphone. For that model, it looks like can search English and Japanese words. Advantages would be you don't have go flipping through a pocket dictionary or need WiFi to use it. Also no distractions as it is just a dictionary and has no pop upstar to pull you away from studying xP
0 x
Gone

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Rotasu wrote:It's literally an electronic dictionary xD it's not a smartphone. For that model, it looks like can search English and Japanese words. Advantages would be you don't have go flipping through a pocket dictionary or need WiFi to use it. Also no distractions as it is just a dictionary and has no pop upstar to pull you away from studying xP

As Rotasu said, it is just a dictionary. It does have a calculator function, however. The dictionary has 7 different modes: Japanese-Japanese Dictionary, Kanji look up in Japanese(reading, radical name, and stoke count for kanji and radicals), 4-Kanji idioms in Japanese, Japanese-English Dictionary, English-Japanese Dictionary, English Conversion, and calculator.

The advantages for me was it is a simple dictionary, does not take up much space(about size of a household sponge), only 2 functions (Dictionary & Calculator), very inexspensive for a denshi jisho (about $30, most go for $100+), and I don't have switch between apps constantly to look stuff up.

If you want to look at the manual, Canon Japan has the Canon Wordtank Dictionaries' manuals available on for free online: http://cweb.canon.jp/manual/dictionary/index.html

My denshi jisho's manual: http://cweb.canon.jp/manual/dictionary/pdf/idp700g.pdf
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:09 am

Goals for Week 8:
-Work on Verb book, according to tracking it should be here this week or the next week (I recieved on Thursday, and read the introduction.)
-Continue Transcribing Real Japanese & make a supplementary document (Nope)
-Cut 3-4 pages of Kanji cards (I cut 2 pages this week.)
-Enjoy using my new dictionary (I haven't touched it.)

Misc:
-Finished Ch 7 of Beginner's Japanese Script and started chapter 8.

So lately, I have been planning ahead for future study.
Here is my current plan in order:
1. Complete the Handbook of Japanese Verbs
2. Continue Strategies for Reading Japanese
3. Start reading book that I have the English version either A Home for Hamtaro & Other Stories or Eragon.
4: Then read one of my many Japanese books

Also, I finally am moving forward in my Lietner Box. I have the spacing planned out. I just need to make a schedule. Also, I am going to start memorizing the Kanji Key 210.

Goals for week 9:
-Make Lietner Box schedule
-Get through part one of The Handbook of Japanese Verbs
-Create physical flashcards for the Kanji Key 210
Optional Goals:
-Make supplementary document for Read Real Japanese
-Memorize the first column of The Most Important Kanji Keys from Kanji Key 210
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:34 am

Goals for week 9:
-Make Lietner Box schedule (Maybe? I have kind of forgotten.)
-Get through part one of The Handbook of Japanese Verbs (Almost, I have a couple pages left.)
-Create physical flashcards for the Kanji Key 210 (Nothing.)
Optional Goals:
-Make supplementary document for Read Real Japanese(Nope.)
-Memorize the first column of The Most Important Kanji Keys from Kanji Key 210 (Nope.)

I got 大辞林 for my iPad, and my Japanese versions of Eragon and Eldest should be here soon. I have the English version for both books. 3 of 4 books are available, except Inheritance, in Japanese as well as other languages: German, Spanish, French, Catalan,and Italian. I made cards to practice conjugating godan verbs.

Goals for week 10:
-Study for 30 minutes a day
-Continue working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs
Option Goal:
--Make supplementary document for Read Real Japanese
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:44 am

Goals for week 10:
-Study for 30 minutes a day (I wish)
-Continue working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs (Done it)
Option Goal:
--Make supplementary document for Read Real Japanese (I completely forgot about this.)

Saturday, I finished the first section in The Handbook of Japanese Verbs. Today, I started next section with plans to be done with it by the end of the week.

On side note, I got hands on a copy of The Loom of Language for Language, and a copy of In Other Words: A Coursebook on Translation for $6 each. Also, I started reading The Loom of Language and I enjoy the writing style. So far I have made it through the first two sections of introduction.
Goals for week 11:
-Make notes and verb list based on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs
-Continue reading The Loom of Language (one section every night)
Optional Goals:
-Study for 15 minutes a day
-Explore 大辞林
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:29 pm

Goals for week 11:
-Continue working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs (Yes, I did little)
-Make notes and verb list based on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs (I start it, but was not satisfied. I am going to attempt it, again)
-Continue reading The Loom of Language (one section every night) (Done!)
Optional Goals:
-Study for 15 minutes a day (...maybe?)
-Explore 大辞林(I haven't touched it.)

Compared to previous weeks, I have actually accomplished a fair amount. I finished chapter 8 of Beginner's Japanese Script and only have 2 more chapter left. I cut out 2 pages flash cards. I resumed worked on the transcription of Real Japanese, finally. I finished the first chapter of The Loom of Language. I looked a Ogden's Basic English, mentioned in The Loom of Langauge. I also tried a Swadesh basic word list for Japanese, but stopped once I realized how many words carried the same meaning.

Swadesh word list is similar to Ogden's Basic English. It used to compare languages in linguistics.
Here is the one that I was using: http://pamanyungan.sites.yale.edu/sites ... mField.pdf

On side note, for those that are interested I found a website that has Swadesh lists in different languages.
Link: http://ielex.mpi.nl./meaning/I/languagelist/all/

Goals for Week 12:
-Continue that Transcription of Real Japanese
--Continue reading The Loom of Language (one section every night)
Optional Goals:
-Cut out Kanji flash cards
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:45 am

Goals for Week 12:
-Continue working on The Handbook of Japanese Verbs -I forgot about it
-Continue that Transcription of Real Japanese -Just finished day 8 of month 9
--Continue reading The Loom of Language (one section every night)-Skipped on night
Optional Goals:
-Cut out Kanji flash cards

I have been busy, so Japanese is going slow. It should pick up in the next couple weeks. I am almost done with chapter 2 of The Loom of Language. The history of writing and spelling was quite interesting. It made appreciate how regular the Japanese Hiragana and Katakana are in term of spelling and reading. Also, I had slight frustration with transcription. It took 1.5 hours to find the word for the sound of ringing, which is カランカラン.

Goals for week 13:
-Continue that Transcription of Real Japanese
-Continue reading The Loom of Language
Optional Goals:
-Finish flashcards for Chapter 8 of Beginner Japanese Scripts
-Practice reading Japanese dictionary definitions in Japanese
0 x

Return to “Language logs”