I Like Languages [German, French, Urdu]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
~Mg~
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (B2), French (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2370

Re: Emma's 2016 Log [de, fr, + more to come]

Postby ~Mg~ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:37 pm

EmmaC02 wrote:Hallo Leute...

Leider war ich in letzter Zeit doch sehr beschäftigt. Ich habe fast kein Deutsch gelernt! (you can't "do/machen" a language in German) Zumindest habe ich mit einigen Muttersprachlern gesprochen. Es war anders als hier zu schreiben, weil es zwangloser war, ein Gespräch zu führen. Ich hatte so wenig Zeit zu antworten, dass ich schnell denken musste. Ich hoffe, dass mein Deutsch bald natürlich heraus kommen wird, und ich glaube, dass diese Gespräche in dieser Hinsicht sehr hilfreich sein werden! Es gibt immer noch Dinge über Deutsch, die ich nicht verstehe, aber ich lerne jeden Tag etwas neues dazu! Demnächst werde ich sicher einen großen Durchbruch schaffen!

Yikes...ich habe meinen Beitrag laut gelesen, und jetzt möchte ich einen Ersatz für ,,dass'' finden! :D
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Re: Emma's 2016 Log [de, fr, + more to come]

Postby EmmaC02 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:48 pm

I feel like I should post a quick update now, as I've been AMA a little. University has made it tough for me to post, but I wanted to write down a quick one, and then I'll come back for real once my exams are over in a few weeks.

French

So I had my French exemption exam, and it went exactly how I expected it to. The first day was the listening and reading comprehension, along with the writing. I think I did very well on the two comprehension sections, and I think I did good enough on the writing section. So after day 1, I was pleased with myself. I was absolutely dreading the spoken interview though, and with good reason. It was horrible. I honestly don't think my spoken French was ready anyways, but it certainly didn't help that I just shut down. It was so so frustrating, because on the way home I was very quickly formulating answers to the questions, once the pressure was off. For some reason I just froze.

I'm going to be taking a break from French for the next little while. I'll have to retake the test during my last year of university, although luckily only the spoken part (providing I did as well as I thought on the other parts). But for now, I need a break from French as the interview crushed my spirits, and my attention needs to be given elsewhere.

German

I've been keeping up a pretty steady pace of German learning. Once my exams are over, I'll be able to throw myself in way more. That being said, even with the amount of time I've spent studying until now, I've hit a few milestones. First, I can comfortably watch a TV show dubbed in German that I'm familiar with, without subtitles, and understand maybe 70% of it. Second, I can comfortably read B1 readers. Third, I catch myself thinking in Denglish often, and speaking in English like I'd speak in German.

My weakest point right now is probably my vocabulary. I definitely need to beef that up. I'm going to have to take a look at different vocabulary learning methods.

Anyways, this was just meant to be a quick, not-so-detailed update, so I'll leave it at that. I'll get back to my normal posting at the end of my exams. :)
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Re: Emma's 2016 Log [Summer of German]

Postby EmmaC02 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:52 am

I am officially done my exams, done my post-exam partying, and back from my post-exam trip to Toronto. Over the time I've been gone, I've spent a lot of time preparing for and thinking about my upcoming year in Germany. Now that I'm having to do things like writing German e-mails to potential roommates, it's becoming real. It's made me realise my priorities, and my new thread title reflects that. Apart from a Super Challenge in French, my summer will be German, German, and more German.

I'm currently signed up for a Double Super Challenge in German, as well as the Output Challenge. I'm well behind on the Output Challenge, mainly because most of my writing has been casual chat with natives, and I'm too lazy to count words. I'm going to try to immerse myself in the language, using English only when I'm out with friends/at work/watching the NHL Playoffs. ;)

Tomorrow night I'll start my (almost) daily posts again. If I don't, and you read this, SHAME ME.
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:26 am

I figured I would start off a little slow today, as far as 'formal' learning goes. I spent a large portion of the day chatting casually in German, and watched a little over 3 and a half Super Challenge movies. We aren't very far into this Super Challenge, but I'm already starting to see and understand the benefits. It's quite exciting, although I know at some point the progress will slow dramatically.

Tomorrow I hope to get back into the swing of Assimil, as well as potentially something like DLI or even Glossika. My main goal for this month is to increase my comprehension as well as my vocabulary, with my secondary goal being improving my pronunciation. Luckily I feel as though the Super Challenge perfectly suits these goals!

I've been watching a lot of German video games on Youtube. Video games aren't really my thing, never have been, but I find the videos very useful. They always have the subtitles turned on in game, so I can follow along easier and look up words I don't know but see often. Also, the commentary from the person playing is naturally casual and colloquial, but not too filled with regionalisms as their audience is widespread. The other thing is that it's helping me to internalise how to describe movement, which I find tough. All the her, hin, raus, da, dort, etc.

Anyways, until tomorrow!
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:56 am

Just a quick examination of a few sentences I wrote in a quick introduction about myself, as well as a few verbs I want to remember to write sentences with.

Ich lerne Deutsch seit 4,5 Monaten, deshalb mache ich immer dumme Fehlern.
- Deshalb... therefore.... Ive been learning German for 4.5 months, therefore I always make stupid mistakes.
- Die Fehlern (akk. pl.) -- no article -- adjective takes ''e'' ending.

Hoffentlich kann ich im Sommer mein Deutsch verbessern, da ich natürlich auf Deutsch in Deutschland sprechen werden will!
- Da... since... Hopefully I can improve my German in the summer, since naturally I want to speak German in Germany!

Ich habe schon ein unausgereiftes Sprachgefühl, aber es fehlt an einem großen Wortschatz und guter Grammatik.
- Das Sprachgefühl (akk. sing.) -- indefinite article -- adjective takes ''es'' ending.
- Es fehlt an... to lack in... I already have an immature feeling for the language, but lack a large vocabulary and good grammar.
- an etw. dat mangeln -- to lack in something..... could also work in this context
- Der Wortschatz (dat. sing.) -- indefinite article -- adjective takes ''en'' ending.
- Die Grammatik (dat. sing.) -- no article -- adjective takes ''er'' ending.

Verwenden – to use
Austauschen – to exchange, to swap
Weglassen – to omit
Erledigen – to sort out, to settle
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

Unknown vocabulary from Chapter 1 of Schöne Augen, a B1 graded reader. As expected, the majority of the words I had to look up were verbs!

Der Geruch – Die Gerüche
- Er mag den Geruch von… He likes the smell of…

Sich bewegen – sich bewegt
- Ein Vorhang bewegt sich sanft vor einem geöffneten Fenster… A curtain gently moves in front of an open window…

Sich trennen von – sich getrennt von
- Sie will sich von ihm trennen… She wants part with (to break up with) him…

Aushalten – ausgehalten
- …weil sie die vielen Streitereien und sein dauerndes Misstrauen nicht mehr aushält… because she can’t bear the many quarrels and the constant mistrust any longer…

Zögern – gezögert
- Er zögert… He hesitates…

Sich umblicken – sich umgeblickt
-Carsten blickt sich um… Carsten looked around (himself)…
1 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Sat May 14, 2016 1:52 am

Emma, ich bin eifersüchtig, weil du sehr schnell lernen kannst!

You have learnt more in 4 months than I did in a year and a half :oops:

Good job, and keep it up!!

PS: I like the Deutsch notes in the last two posts!
0 x
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:53 am

Gemuse wrote:Emma, ich bin eifersüchtig, weil du sehr schnell lernen kannst!

You have learnt more in 4 months than I did in a year and a half :oops:

Good job, and keep it up!!

PS: I like the Deutsch notes in the last two posts!

Danke, Gemuse! Vielleicht habe ich schnellen Fortschritt gemacht aber in diesen Monaten habe ich einfach so viel Zeit auf Deutsch verwendet, dass man sagen konnte, dass ich schon ein Jahr Deutsch gelernt habe. :lol: Ich bin auch in Eile, weil ich Anfang September nach Deutschland ziehen!

Ich bin erfreut zu hören, dass du meine Notizen magst. Eigentlich werde ich von deinem Log inspiriert! Ich dachte, dass es nützlich ausgesehen. Deshalb habe ich es probiert! :D Keep up the good work yourself!
0 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Sat May 14, 2016 4:34 am

EmmaC02 wrote:Danke, Gemuse! Vielleicht habe ich schnellen Fortschritt gemacht aber in diesen Monaten habe ich einfach so viel Zeit auf Deutsch verwendet, dass man sagen konnte, dass ich schon ein Jahr Deutsch gelernt habe. :lol: Ich bin auch in Eile, weil ich Anfang September nach Deutschland ziehen!

Ich bin erfreut zu hören, dass du meine Notizen magst. Eigentlich werde ich von deinem Log inspiriert! Ich dachte, dass es nützlich ausgesehen. Deshalb habe ich es probiert! :D Keep up the good work yourself!

Ich freue mich sehr auch, dass meine Lognotizen dich inspiriert hat!

Ich habe ein paar Fragen:

"Eigentlich werde ich von deinem Log inspiriert!"
Should this be:
Eigentlich habe ich von deinem Log inspiriert

You used werde with the Partizip form..

..."dass es nützlich ausgesehen"
Should this be:
dass es nützlich ausgesehen hat

I am in Deutschland, and I barely know any German :oops:
0 x
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:57 am

Gemuse wrote:
EmmaC02 wrote:Danke, Gemuse! Vielleicht habe ich schnellen Fortschritt gemacht aber in diesen Monaten habe ich einfach so viel Zeit auf Deutsch verwendet, dass man sagen konnte, dass ich schon ein Jahr Deutsch gelernt habe. :lol: Ich bin auch in Eile, weil ich Anfang September nach Deutschland ziehen!

Ich freue mich sehr auch, dass meine Lognotizen dich inspiriert hat!

Ich habe ein paar Fragen:

"Eigentlich werde ich von deinem Log inspiriert!"
Should this be:
Eigentlich habe ich von deinem Log inspiriert

You used werde with the Partizip form..

..."dass es nützlich ausgesehen"
Should this be:
dass es nützlich ausgesehen hat

I am in Deutschland, and I barely know any German :oops:

1. I was trying to use werden as "to become" and "inspiriert" as an adjective!
Sample sentences on linguee seem to suggest that I could have said either, "Eigentlich werde/bin ich von deinem Log inspiriert."
Maybe it would have been better for me to say, "Eigentlich wurde ich von deinem Log inspiriert." Hopefully a native can shed some light!

2. I definitely messed that up... I had originally written "aussah", but then replaced it with "ausgesehen" and totally forgot to add in the haben/sein :lol:

Where abouts in Germany, if you don't mind me asking?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”