I Like Languages [German, French, Urdu]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Emma's 2016 Log [Year Abroad (Deutschland)]

Postby Elenia » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:32 pm

EmmaC02 wrote:So I have my schedule made for this first semester, and I made some questionable decisions. I decided (half out of necessity) to take all but 1 of my classes in German. I also couldn't pick between Swedish and Russian, so I made the silly decision to take both... Either this semester will really see me flourish, or it'll end with me disintegrating into a ball of stress. Either or. :lol:

Always take the silly option, that way your regrets will be more interesting!

That aside - I'm feeling benevolent and also regretful that I missed out on chatting with a beginner in Swedish. If you want some non-school Swedish chat, hit me up. I'm a learner of questionable quality, but it might be fun :)
3 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Postby EmmaC02 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Elenia wrote:
EmmaC02 wrote:So I have my schedule made for this first semester, and I made some questionable decisions. I decided (half out of necessity) to take all but 1 of my classes in German. I also couldn't pick between Swedish and Russian, so I made the silly decision to take both... Either this semester will really see me flourish, or it'll end with me disintegrating into a ball of stress. Either or. :lol:

Always take the silly option, that way your regrets will be more interesting!

That aside - I'm feeling benevolent and also regretful that I missed out on chatting with a beginner in Swedish. If you want some non-school Swedish chat, hit me up. I'm a learner of questionable quality, but it might be fun :)

There is no method to this madness, let me tell ya! Thank you for the offer! I will definitely keep that in mind for when I'm at a suitable enough level to waste your time. ;) I offer you the same thing for German!
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:58 pm

EmmaC02 wrote:[...] waste your time [...]

Hey! I am perfectly capable of wasting my own time, thank you very much! Any language activity done with someone else is likely to cause a 100% rise in my productivity. It'd mean breaking my streak of lazy days but this is a sacrifice I'm willing to make... ;)

EDIT: Thank you for the German offer, btw! I'm totally willing to take you up on it! I'm motivated by the fact that I could understand the German in the video of Cristina and Richard Simcott that rdearman posted. I warn you, though: I can't string a sentence together!
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:21 pm

So I've officially been in Germany a month now, and I can't believe how quickly the time has gone by. I definitely feel as though my German has improved, and I'm finally able to write (with a little assistance from a dictionary) about things that interest me. We had a writing assignment about multiculturalism and identity politics, and the Canadian in me just ate it right up. It feels nice to be able to speak about more than just the superficial now.

I've been too busy to be homesick, although I'm still not used to the days when I'm completely alone. I found a dog that lives right outside of a friend's apartment that I can pet and visit when I miss mine. All in all, I feel good. A lot of my friends and I tend to organise "family dinners" as well, so we're never alone too often.

My only complaint is that since I've been so busy, not only with lessons, but also with friends, that I haven't done too much self study. I'd like to make a concerted effort to start reading more in German. Sometimes I still get a little frustrated with my vocabulary, and I'd like to start remedying that.

Another thing I need to familiarise myself with, is how essays are written in Germany. Chances are it's very similar to in English, but I definitely need to make sure the process is clear, before the university semester starts.
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Re: I Like Languages [DE, SV, RU]

Postby EmmaC02 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:53 pm

Today was crazy. I just attended a university political science lecture in a foreign language, and understood it. Granted, I'm quite familiar with the content in English, but I still chalk this up as a win. Here's hoping that this success continues...
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: I Like Languages [DE, SV, RU]

Postby Systematiker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Hey, so I've just seen your log for the first time - you made a lot of progress quickly! Tübingen is a great city, too, it's only about a half hour from where my parents-in-law live so I used to go there a fair bit. I actually almost moved there instead of back to the US.

Keep up the good effort!
2 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Re: I Like Languages [DE, SV,]

Postby EmmaC02 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:57 pm

Alright so things are continuing to go well. Luckily even for my lectures/seminars in German, most of the readings are in English. This really helps me stay on top of the new vocabulary, because I already know what we are talking about in class (provided I be a good student and actually do the readings ahead of time). I'm still slightly worried about writing academic papers in German, but considering all of the professors are proficient in English, I'm sure worst-case scenario, I can ask to write in English. University in Germany seems to be, surprisingly, a whole lot more flexible than in Canada, especially for an exchange student.

I'm also really loving how relatively small this university is. There are only two professors of International Relations, which means I end up taking 2 or 3 of their classes every semester, and will really be able to develop a relationship with them. That will surely come in handy in the future.

Over the weekend I need to write a short ~150 word story in German, as well as a small introduction in Swedish. I will post those in a couple of days! Swedish, by the way, is incredibly transparent. It's shocking how much I can understand.
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:09 am

Woops, leider habe ich komplett vergessen, meine Geschichte hier zu schreiben. Sorry! Na ja, ich kann ganz schnell etwas schreiben. Dienstag war verrückt... genauso wie Brexit 2.0. Ich werde nichts über meine Meinung schreiben, sondern möchte ich sagen, wie interessant ich diese 2016 Anti-Establishment Bewegung finde. Ich habe nie gedacht, dass beide diese Ereignisse (Brexit und Trump) passieren könnten, aber jetzt ist es in dieser Zeitpunkt eine Wirklichkeit. Ich glaube, dass es ja wichtig ist, diese Ergebnisse zu forschen und untersuchen, um herauszufinden, wieso sie passiert sind. Hoffentlich könnten wir mit unseren Forschungsergebnisse dann versuchen, Lösungen zu finden. Jetzt sind wir alle zu aufgeteilt, und niemand möchte der anderen Stellung zuhören, und ich finde das ganz schlimm. Wir sollen versuchen, einander zu verstehen und unsere Lebenserfahrungen zu teilen. Ich weiß, dass es einfacher zu sagen ist als zu tun, aber ich habe eine leise Hoffnung, dass es möglich ist. Entschuldigung, wenn ich was falsch geschrieben habe. Es ist jetzt spät und ich möchte ein bissle chillen. :P
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Postby EmmaC02 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Neulich habe ich begonnen, darüber nachzudenken, ob ich in Deutschland bleiben möchte. Ich erforsche Universitäten in Deutschland, besonders in Berlin. Die Freie Universität Berlin scheint wie es mir sehr gut passen würde. Ich könnte mein Studium an der Universität fortfahren, also werde ich nicht alles wiederholen müssen. Es gibt viele Vorteile. Zuerst interessiere ich mich für Europapolitik, und eigentlich gibt es keinen besseren Ort als Berlin, wenn man interessiert sich dafür. In Berlin gibt es nicht nur Arbeitsmöglichkeiten, sondern auch Forschungsmöglichkeiten (Think-Tanks). Für mich ist das wichtig, weil ich einen Masterstudiengang in der Zukunft besuchen will. Das heißt, dass ich relevante Arbeitserfahrung brauchen werde, um akzeptiert zu werden. In den Augen der Universitäten ist es auch eine wünschenswert Fähigkeit, mehrsprachig zu sein, und in Europa sind Englisch, Französisch, und Deutsch vielleicht am wichtigsten. Also macht es denn Sinn, dass einen Abschluss von einer deutschen Universität sehr gut aussehen würde.

Alles klingt ganz toll, aber, wenn ich an einer deutschen Universität studieren möchte, muss ich eine Prüfung bestehen, die TestDaF (und vielleicht auch DSH) heiß. Ich habe mich überlegt, ob ich die Prüfung im Juni schreiben soll, aber ich bin nicht sicher. Ich soll mehr Selbstvertrauen haben, weil ich alles in meinen Kurse verstehen, aber ich fühle mich wie ich könnte es nicht schaffen. Ich würde noch viel Zeit haben, um mein Deutsch zu verbessern, und ich könnte mich darauf konzentrieren, besonders auf meinen Wortschatz, da er ja klein ist. Mal sehen... vielleicht spreche ich darüber mit meiner Lehrerin.

Recently I've started to think about whether I want to stay in Germany. I'm researching universities in Germany, especially in Berlin. The Free University of Berlin seems like it would suit me well. I could continue my degree at the university, so I wouldn't have to repeat everything. There are many advantages. First of all, I'm interested in European Politics, and there is really no place better than Berlin when you're interested in that. In Berlin there are not only employment opportunities, but also research opportunities (Think-Tanks). That is important for me, because I want to do a Master's program in the future. That means that I will need relevant work experience in order to be accepted. In the eyes of universities it is also a desirable trait to be multilingual, and in Europe, German, French and English are perhaps the most important. So it makes sense, that a degree from a German university would look good.

Everything sounds good, but if I want to study at a German university, then I have to pass the TestDaf (and maybe the DSH as well). I have considered whether I should write the test in June, but I'm not sure. I should have more confidence as I understand everything in my courses, but I feel like I couldn't do it. I would have a lot of time to improve my German, and I could really concentrate on it; especially on my vocabulary, because it is obviously small. We'll see... maybe I'll speak with my teacher about it.
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt

Re: I Like Languages [German, French, Urdu]

Postby EmmaC02 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:34 am

It's been a hot minute.... but I'm back in Canada now (a little earlier than anticipated), and I'm fairly pleased with how my German has developed. I'd say my listening and reading are at a solid B2, with my speaking and writing somewhere between B1 and B2. My goal for now is to hopefully maintain that, while also refreshing my French. My French has really taken a hit, because now every time I want to say something in French, the German comes to my mind automatically. I need to program my brain to handle 2 second languages.

That being said, I'm adding a 3rd language, Hindi-Urdu, because why not. I kind of want a change from European languages, something different and challenging. There are multiple things that I'm excited about with Hindi-Urdu. First, I find both of the scripts absolutely gorgeous. Second, Bollywood and Lollywood! Third, an insight into cultures, societies, and politics that I have never really understood. Fourth, a challenge! There are no classes at all where I live, so I'll truly be learning by myself.

I've yet to tackle a language as different from my native one as Hindi-Urdu, so wish me luck!
6 x

Return to “Language logs”