wwiding's French log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
wwiding
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2151

Re: wwiding's French log

Postby wwiding » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:21 pm

Fortheo wrote:
wwiding wrote:Main Goal:
Assimil NFWE

Completed Today:
Lesson 54

Next Step:
Scriptorium and Shadow Lesson 55

Secondary Goal:
Harry Potter in French

Completed Today:
Scriptorium on a page of chapter 15

Next Step:
Read chapter 16

Notes:
After a few days of testing grammatical rules with anki, I've decided the results are well worth it. I use cloze deletion on grammatical definitions and examples. I think I need to start mining sentences and phrases as well, but I'm not sure what types of phrases and sentences I want to mine. Maybe sentences that express syntax and structure, or that are grammatically different from English would be good. I'm going to take some sentences from the "Easy French" series as well as various books, tv shows, and movies.
So far, I haven't really been memorizing vocabulary because I wanted to see how much I could remember from exposure alone but I think I'm going to start adding vocab words to anki, color coded blue for masculine and pink for feminine.

I found that using anki for grammar exercises was extremely helpful and perhaps the only way I could truly ingrain those stubborn grammar rules into my long term memory. I used Practice Makes Perfect: complete french Grammar and I'd input the exercises into anki while using the closed deletion option to focus on the grammar points. It is really useful, but inputting cards into anki is very time consuming, so I eventually stopped.

Long story short: If you find that it's helping you, then I'd definitely stick with it! especially with the stubborn grammar rules.

I'll check the book out, thanks for the suggestion. I'd love an easy to read grammar book to mine sentences from.
0 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Marais wrote:
Fortheo wrote:
I found that using anki for grammar exercises was extremely helpful and perhaps the only way I could truly ingrain those stubborn grammar rules into my long term memory. I used Practice Makes Perfect: complete french Grammar and I'd input the exercises into anki while using the closed deletion option to focus on the grammar points. It is really useful, but inputting cards into anki is very time consuming, so I eventually stopped.

Long story short: If you find that it's helping you, then I'd definitely stick with it! especially with the stubborn grammar rules.

I don't like grammar books and stuff usually but i must admit the McGraw Hill series are really very good. The verb book (looks exactly the same as the grammar one but is thinner) is also very very good. They do a German sentence builder one too but i'm not sure about if they have this one in French or not.

I'll check out the series and probably use it for anki cards.
0 x

Marais

Postby Marais » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Ps, what is scriptorium ? I googled but found nothing.
0 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:28 am

Marais wrote:Ps, what is scriptorium ? I googled but found nothing.

http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Scriptorium
That's probably the best resource for language learners that want to learn scriptorium. Scriptorium seems to be hit or miss for people, they love it or hate it. For me, it helps me slow down and notice things I would otherwise miss.
0 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:38 am

wwiding wrote:

That's probably the best resource for language learners that want to learn scriptorium. Scriptorium seems to be hit or miss for people, they love it or hate it. For me, it helps me slow down and notice things I would otherwise miss.

Thanks for sharing that; I may have to try it out with Assimil: using french

How's harry potter going? Are you feeling more comfortable with it now than you were in the first few chapters?
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:15 pm

Fortheo wrote:
wwiding wrote:

Thanks for sharing that; I may have to try it out with Assimil: using french

How's harry potter going? Are you feeling more comfortable with it now than you were in the first few chapters?

I'm a lot more comfortable with it now. I'll be on book 2 shortly! Reading Harry Potter has made a big difference in my listening abilities and it's much easier to figure out where I am in the book than it was in the first half. Even if I don't understand everything, I at least know where I'm at. When I do book two, I'm going to add sentences I find interesting to anki to see how that aides in my understanding.
0 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:18 pm

Main Goal:
Assimil NFWE

Completed Today:
Lesson 55

Next Step:
Scriptorium and Shadow Lesson 56

Secondary Goal:
Harry Potter in French

Completed Today:
Read chapter 16

Next Step:
Scriptorium on a page of chapter 16

Notes:
Scriptorium is going well. I really need to up my memorization of vocabulary using anki. I've fallen in love with it for grammar practice and I think it'll really make a difference in my active recall of words as well.
0 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:31 pm

A quick note: I'm on overtime at work all week to train for my new position(I tend to move through a company quickly) so I won't be focusing on HP or assimil because I'd like to spend time with my girlfriend too. With that being said, I'm going to continue using, and adding cards to, my anki deck. I'll also continue to watch French videos on YouTube. I may do HP and Assimilated when I can find the time though.
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Hello, I'm a new member of this forum (but an old member of its predecessor) and a big fan of studying French. I'll be interested to see how you progress in your studies. I also can't resist giving you two suggestions for once you've finished Assimil: check out the book Le Petit Nicolas and the audiobook of the same, and start listening to the podcast L'avis de Marie.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:19 am

jeffers wrote:Hello, I'm a new member of this forum (but an old member of its predecessor) and a big fan of studying French. I'll be interested to see how you progress in your studies. I also can't resist giving you two suggestions for once you've finished Assimil: check out the book Le Petit Nicolas and the audiobook of the same, and start listening to the podcast L'avis de Marie.

Thanks, I've added your suggestions to my list!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”