Snow's Korean and Spanish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Snow
Orange Belt
Languages: Tagalog (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Korean (upper beginner)

Re: Snow's Spanish and Korean log

Postby Snow » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:35 am

2 meetings left for my Korean and Chinese classes. 1 for lecture and the other for the final exams. I'm pretty confident with my Korean while I'm a bit disappointed with my Chinese. Vocabulary doesn't seem to stick in my brain. I need to do some serious drilling the old school way- pen and paper. I want to try SRS like Anki, Memrise or Quizlet but knowing my perfectionist nature, I will just spend a lot of time tinkering with the technical details and end up not doing what I'm supposed to do: learning vocab.

I so can't wait to be over and done with this semester. I'll never take two classes in one sem again. I cannot deal with the pressure. I'm also dropping Chinese for a while. Aside from getting turned off of the language [no] thanks to this current class that I'm taking, I just don't have enough ties with the Chinese culture. All I want is to be able to read light novels. I don't find most of the dramas and movies interesting nor entertaining.

I'm going to focus on my current love, Korean. We're inseparable now. At the moment, it's the only language that I want to reach advanced fluency in. I'll continue with my Korean classes until the last level offered by the school. I like the speaking practice that I get. Right now, 10 3-hour sessions are way cheaper than hiring an italki tutor. I'll look into hiring a private tutor eventually when I'm done with all the levels.

But, of course, what's a language learner's life without some wanderlust? I'm thinking of dabbling in Japanese. I like how each character corresponds to a sound, just like Korean. Culture-wise, I like some mangas, dramas, and movies. I love the food and I plan to visit Japan again. Hoping to reach at least basic fluency, around N3? But I'm not going to take a class anymore. I want to learn on my own pace.

Also, I originally planned to push my dying B2 Spanish to an active C1 by taking the DELE November next year. But after a bit of self-reflection, I've decided not to pursue it for now. Maybe in the (far) future, but definitely not right now. I fell out of love with Spanish but I still hold onto it because of economic and sentimental reasons. Planning to immerse myself in morr native content instead.

Okay so TLDR; Korean is my one true love, aiming for advanced fluency. Japanese on the side til basic fluency. Spanish immersion for maintenance. On hold until further notice: Chinese and French.

I'm glad that I've narrowed down my to-learn list to only five. Yet even with only five left, I still feel overwhelmed.

Next update will probably be after my exams. Wish me luck, especially in Chinese.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Snow's Korean log

Postby MamaPata » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Good luck! It sounds like you're being really sensible about it all and putting the work in! I look forward to hearing that you've made it through all the exams. :)
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Snow
Orange Belt
Languages: Tagalog (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Korean (upper beginner)

Postby Snow » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks, MamaPata! I love your picture btw.

So both exams are done. Results aren't out yet but I have an idea of how I did in both. Korean exam was hard... I studied the textbook from front to back so I was confident that I would do well. Unfortunately, the teacher added grammar points that weren't discussed in class. I'm really pissed off. I hope my score would be enough to go on to level 3. And I hope that the next class won't be taught by my teacher from level 2. He can be a bit condescending sometimes.

Chinese exam turned out pretty easy! I worried for nothing. I did better in Chinese than in Korean. Even though I wasn't completely satisfied with how the class was handled, it was a good enough introduction to Mandarin. Unfortunately for Mandarin, I'm dropping it forever. My initial interest in the language has waned; the honeymoon phase is over.

I'm replacing it with Japanese! Heh, I never learn... I signed up for the 6 week challenge to study Japanese. I'm going to self-study. No more classes for me except in Korean. My goals for the 6WC are: (1) to learn hiragana and katakana, (2) to study the first six chapters of Genki I, and (3) to L-R my manga Chii's Sweet Home. I'd also want to study Japanese cursive handwriting. Looks difficult to decipher, yet very interesting.

I like the idea of the 6WC. I think it's a good strategy for those who have wanderlust. Study one language per cycle (aside from one's main languages) then decide if it's worth studying long-term.

I also have a side project of finishing the first two Ewha textbooks. I expect to be done before level 3 starts in September. Note to self: buy only necessary books!

My language list is down to four: Korean, Spanish, Japanese, and French. Starting to get more and more realistic. For now, Korean is my main language, Spanish is on immersion mode, and Japanese is for dabbling.

Week 31 goals:
Japanese
[ ] memorize hiragana and katakana

Spanish
[ ] read 30 pages of Retrato en sepia
[ ] watch 5 episodes of El Internado

Korean
[ ] watch my weekly shows
[ ] check out TTMIK drama phrases series
[ ] get my books back from friend
1 x

Snow
Orange Belt

Postby Snow » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:16 am

I passed my classes! I'm excited for the next level in Korean and I've already started going through Sogang 2A so that I'll be prepared when the class starts in September. :lol: So far, it's just a review of the previous lessons from the first level. It's funny that the book teaches how to spell only now (how each letter is pronounced).

In my previous post, I mentioned that I joined the 6 Week Challenge. Unfortunately, I don't feel like studying Japanese at this moment. I find the language interesting but I don't have super strong ties with its culture. The attraction is just superficial to me. However, I like reading about people studying Japanese and how they progress in levels (I'm now in N3 blahblah, I'm using N2 materials now, etc etc). I feel as if there's no progression like that in Korean. There are only 2 TOPIK exams, I and II. I don't read about learners studying level 3 grammar or level 5 word list. It seems frustrating and intimidating to me, yet I still like learning Korean the most! Anyway, I still haven't dropped out from 6WC because who knows when I'll change my mind again.

Spanish, meh. I have the first Harry Potter in my Kindle so maybe, just maybe, I will read it soon. The thing is, even in English I feel like I've already outgrown my Harry Potter phase. When I was young I really loved the series and I reread it many times but now I feel like I'm too old for it.

No more weekly goals for me. I always procrastinate anyway.

'Maybe' goals:
ES: read HP, watch El Internado ep 1
KO: continue advanced study of Sogang 2A, watch shows

Remember, keep things fun!
2 x

Snow
Orange Belt

Postby Snow » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:50 pm

I signed up for the Finnish group challenge, which starts this month. I thought about getting Assimil Finnois but I'm not financially okay atm and I just booked a flight to somewhere for March 2017. -_- So yeah, I'll be using free resources like FSI and finnishpod (?) and hope that I'd be able to match my groupmates' progress.

Not as much Korean studying as I'd like but at least I'm in unit 3 already. I hope to finish unit 3 before next Saturday (start of class, yay!) and review 1-3. Then I'll continue with 1 chapter/week.

I came across Korean webnovels yesterday and although my level is still way too low for those now, I'm excited to read in the future, especially period ones! I really like reading Chinese period webnovels and that's why I wanted to learn Mandarin before. Now that I found Korean stories, I don't have to worry about learning Mandarin. :P

I still have a little crush on Mandarin. I'm watching Scarlet Heart (Chinese version) on Viki and I like how the Chinese subs are shown along with the English subs. I can recognize a few basic characters that I learned in class like wo, shi, ni, bu, jie(jie), xie(xie). I think when I pick up Mandarin again, I'll focus on character recognition, too. But that's something for year 2020 maybe.

Right now, my mind is for Korean, Finnish, and job hunting only! I don't want additional stress although I do worry about the state of my Spanish and how it would affect my job search. I'm hoping to just wing it when the time comes!
3 x

Snow
Orange Belt

Postby Snow » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Finnish
I think I have commitment phobia. While I like the idea behind the Finnish group project, I feel that it came at the wrong time for me. Right now, I don't feel a connection with Finnish even though it's one of the languages on my to-learn list. So for now, Finnish is officially on hold.

Korean
My life may be totally chaotic atm but I still like making time for Korean. It's the only language that I don't get tired of. I feel frustrated that I still have a LOT to learn but I'm taking it slowly, diligently working through my book. I finally finished Unit 3 of Sogang 2A and I'll be reviewing Unit 1 so that I'll be a smart cookie in class this Saturday. :lol:

Spanish
There was a recent thread about learning a language that you don't love where the language being discussed is Spanish. No, I haven't written it but I feel the same as Xenops (the OP). I can't really just drop Spanish because 1) I need it for work. Silly me majored in Spanish and I don't have a technical skill. I try to find jobs that require Spanish so that I can live happily ever after, 2) pride. I had B2 skills once. Now I think my skills have downgraded to a shaky B1 and it's killing me. But I can't find something that I really like about Spanish, Spain, and other Spanish-speaking countries. I tried reading books, watching TV series and movies, listening to music, etc. Nothing made a great impression. What to do???
0 x

Snow
Orange Belt

Postby Snow » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:36 pm

I was/am a silly girl..
0 x

Snow
Orange Belt

Postby Snow » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:29 am

Long time no update! I'm still learning Korean. Classes are still going well, however I missed one class and will miss another because... I'm here in Korea for a short vacation. :lol:

I was able to use my basic Korean to buy a Harry Potter book for 3,000 won. I asked the ajumma, 책 얼마예요? and she replied with a long, detailed description of the pricing and book sequence. Some HP books in Korean are divided into 2 parts o_o. I bought the part 1 of the first book.

I wonder if the Koreans think of me as a foreigner or a local. Last night I was on my way back to my hostel and a Korean lady approached me and said 죄송한데요... (insert a Korean sentence that was said quickly). I said, sorry I'm not Korean.

I'm so glad to have this opportunity to visit the country of my L2. I hope one day I could also visit a Spanish-speaking country.
2 x

Snow
Orange Belt

Postby Snow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:47 am

Haven't updated in a while. I'm still learning Korean! I've been studying on and off since January last year, but starting February this year, I've been studying daily, except for 1 whole week in March because I went to Korea again for vacation. :lol:

My second trip to Korea was a bit disappointing because I still couldn't produce decent Korean to communicate with native speakers. I was stuck with using very simple sentences and it was really hard to understand natives when they talked to me in Korean. I could only understand a few words or phrases and had to rely heavily on the context. I guess I need to improve my listening comprehension.

I've been diligently studying with textbooks because I wanted to reach intermediate level asap and pass at least TOPIK level 4 this October, but thanks to my trip, I decided to reevaluate my reasons for learning Korean. I originally wanted to be able to watch Korean dramas without subtitle, which then branched out to other forms of Korean media, like variety shows, kpop, etc. I'm not particularly interested in reading Korean literature or manhwas or webtoons. Reaching TOPIK level 4 this year would be nice (because I am hoping to apply for a scholarship next year) but I'm not gonna rush anymore. I'm still going to study with textbooks because I find that it works for me, gives me structure, lessens my anxiety, and teaches me grammar and vocabulary in context. But after the 3B book, I'm branching out to native/semi-native material like TTMIK Iyagi, GLOSS, songs, shows, etc.

Currently, I'm looking for ways on how to improve my active listening skills. I'm still watching kdramas and varieties with English subs. Which would be more useful: subs2srs or just plain diving into unsubbed shows? I'm also torn about using Anki for vocabulary. Evita has a very nice premade deck for vocab (and sentences) which I already tried but I found that I learn best when I encounter vocab on my own. Of course, premade decks have their advantages. Check out Japanese learning forums and they're all about core decks. I guess it works, but not for me?

Spanish
I have to delay working on GdUdE C because I'm currently reviewing for a Korean exam, and I don't want to overwhelm my poor brain. One of the things I've learned about myself is that I can't multitask. Multitasking gives me anxiety. So I prefer to work on one thing at a time, like one language, one book, one project, etc. Anyway, in the meantime, I'm doing 30 exp a day on Duolingo which is good enough to refresh my long buried Spanish.
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Snow wrote:Currently, I'm looking for ways on how to improve my active listening skills. I'm still watching kdramas and varieties with English subs. Which would be more useful: subs2srs or just plain diving into unsubbed shows?

Maybe you could try what I'm doing:

I study with k-dramas, watching the same 20 minutes segment three times. For me there are 3 key factors for deciding which drama to study with: 1) It should be a present-day drama. 2) It should have a story that really interests me. 3) It should be a drama I have not seen before. (if you like variety shows more, then you could adapt this to fit variety TV).

Here is my daily plan of study and how it works:

Early Morning
- Drama A (subbed and no-subbed)
- Drama B (no-subbed)
Night
- Drama B (subbed and no-subbed)
- Drama A (no-subbed)

1) The first time a watch a segment (no-subbed), I pay special attention to the sounds and the way actors move their mouths in order to produce those sounds. I also pay attention to the different levels of formality that characters use between them. This is a focused mode.

2) The second time (with english subs) I just try to enjoy the drama. I think more on story-related terms than on language learning. This is a somehow diffuse mode that sometimes allows me to make interesting connections between meaning and the actual usage of words and expressions.

3) The third and final time (no-subbed) I try to see how much I can understand and connect now that I know what they are saying. I also try to imitate the mouth movements from the actors as a practice to get my language production muscles accustomed to pronouncing Korean.

If at any time I get really curious about something (a word, an expression, etc.), I pause the video and look for it on the internet. Sometimes I get really interesting answers, and sometimes I can't even find the word or expression (probably because I'm not hearing it right, or maybe because it is a very informal or rare form of the language).

Also, if you are interested in kpop, you may like this website: Learn Korean through K-POP

The author of the website also made some study cards on Memrise.
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Return to “Language logs”