Battlegirl takes on Korean

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
battlegirl
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), Spanish (C1), Japanese (beginner)

Battlegirl takes on Korean

Postby battlegirl » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:04 pm

TL;DR I started Korean on Duolingo and it has too many mistakes to be useful. But it got me started!

I've been lurking on this forum for a few months a year (?!) now, following new posts and just getting the hang of the website. It finally gave me the courage to start learning a new language, and start my very own blog!

I have been reticent, because I'm an English teacher, and learning new languages often implies a period of mix-up for me. I was afraid it'd affect my job, so I've been holding off. I already have a few languages under my belt, and the last one I got stuck on is Japanese (still beginner), but recently I started listening to K-pop, and it got me curious. I can't understand a word of what they say, and the transliterations make no sense from the point of view of any language I know.

In December, afraid of getting bored on holiday, my husband started Arabic on Duolingo. He's been making progress, so I figured I'd try Korean on that. It's been 4 days now, I finished unit 1, and here's my report:

I had tried Duolingo in the past for Japanese, so I knew how it worked. As an absolute beginner, I knew it'd at least get me going. It started off easily enough, just teaching the letters, but halfway through the unit I had to go and look up a YouTube tutorial, because things were too mixed up and I wasn't able to organize my notes. I also noticed one or two mistakes (a symbol or some pronunciation that didn't correspond!), so I needed to clear things up.

Learn Hangul in 20 Minutes 한글 Korean Alphabet How to Read and Write Korean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4k7LC91Cw

With this I was able to:
1) Check pronunciation (Duolingo seems to use a mix of AI voices...?! :shock: )
2) Get an overview of the whole alphabet
3) Write down a reference chart to study

I'm a big fan of organizing and writing things by hand when I have to study them, so I knew I had to complement sooner or later.

I then moved forward with the unit, but before I was able to finish it, I realized I could use something more mnemonic to remember the different symbols. I had found that for Japanese, and I know it works for me.

At this point YouTube started to suggest related videos, so it offered a short titled "Learn to Read Korean in 15 minutes". Through that I found the wonderful Ryan Estrada, who has created a comic with some handy mnemonics and groupings that helped me even more!

https://ryanestrada.com/learntoreadkore ... index.html

Now it was only a matter of memorizing. I finished Unit 1 of Duolingo, and patted myself on the back.

Yesterday night I started Unit 2, which started to introduce words. I knew I'd have to slow down here, so I only did one circle, and tried the second circle today. I was getting confused, so I wanted to start writing things down to help with studying. I went to the Unit 2 Guidebook. I started to copy the vocabulary I had done up to that point. And then I froze. It read:

이개미
the child's yoyo.

Even with the little I had studied so far, I knew that was wrong.

Now I'm afraid to keep using Duolingo. I'm afraid it's going to teach me wrong stuff. I'm thinking it's full of little mistakes like that, and I don't want to waste my brain learning wrong things!

Next steps: Look for alternatives. I know there's a resource page on the forum, but I haven't looked it up yet. Time to change tactics!

NOTE: One more useful website I found:
https://www.drawkorean.com/

Onwards and upwards! Thanks everyone on the forum for the inspiration!
12 x
: 1 / 1 Learning How to Create a Progress Bar:
: 1 / 1 Actually starting something to track (Progress! I started Korean!):
:D

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: Battlegirl takes on Korean

Postby tastyonions » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:17 pm

Good luck! I've thought for years that I'd like to learn Korean at some point, but people's descriptions of its difficulty leave me pretty well intimidated.

I assume you've checked out all the "Talk To Me In Korean" stuff (videos, books, and so on)?
2 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:26 pm

If you enjoy learning with apps, Lingodeer has always done much better with Asian languages than Duolingo, and has similarly fully-evolved many-lesson programs.

I cam also recommend the iOS apps by Luli Languages. I use the Japanese one that’s for kanji and my roommate uses the Korean one (we discovered them independently). Single payment, no subscription, which is quite refreshing these days.

Welcome (to the logging aspect of the forum, at least!)!!
4 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:10 pm

I recommend checking out Professor Yoon. University of ... (Can't remember). But anyway he's got links to his first and second year Korean classes. You can download the two textbooks for free.

https://youtube.com/@ProfYoonsKoreanLan ... 5l8n_sawVE

Much better than Duolingo and he has all the audio for the textbooks on his YT channel and more besides.
5 x
: 39 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

battlegirl
White Belt

Postby battlegirl » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:20 pm

Good luck! I've thought for years that I'd like to learn Korean at some point, but people's descriptions of its difficulty leave me pretty well intimidated.

I assume you've checked out all the "Talk To Me In Korean" stuff (videos, books, and so on)?

I started learning kinda like an impulse buy... Pressure on both ends made me say "Aaight, I'll download Duolingo and get started!" without researching info beforehand. Now I got buyer's remorse... :lol: But will look into the stuff you mentioned! So far, though, I can see some similarities with Japanese, which is helping me out. The writing system is somewhat similar, and the few initial words they introduced actually have some similarity with Japanese! Student, "gakusei" in Japanese, sounds vaguely familiar in Korean. Even newspaper, "shinbun" in Japanese, sounds similar enough in Korean. I just talked to a friend who is an advanced Japanese student, and he says he studied Korean with Japanese textbooks... So I guess they share some things! Still have to verify these things...

If you enjoy learning with apps, Lingodeer has always done much better with Asian languages than Duolingo, and has similarly fully-evolved many-lesson programs.

I cam also recommend the iOS apps by Luli Languages. I use the Japanese one that’s for kanji and my roommate uses the Korean one (we discovered them independently). Single payment, no subscription, which is quite refreshing these days.

Welcome (to the logging aspect of the forum, at least!)!!

Thanks for the tips! I haven't used many language learning apps, so I'm not familiar with those. Will definitely explore!! Thanks for the welcome! :P

I recommend checking out Professor Yoon. University of ... (Can't remember). But anyway he's got links to his first and second year Korean classes. You can download the two textbooks for free.

https://youtube.com/@ProfYoonsKoreanLan ... 5l8n_sawVE

Much better than Duolingo and he has all the audio for the textbooks on his YT channel and more besides.

Thank you for the tips! I haven't started researching yet and I already got tons of useful tips. Love the forum!! :!:
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 pm

You can get all of the original Talk to Me in Korean podcasts on the Internet Archive for free. Checkout the Korean language section of the Master List of Languages before you spend money! https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 19&t=17275

Good advice for your husband's Arabic learning too. https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 19&t=4944/
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Picaboo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native). Korean (upper intermediate). French (early intermediate), Japanese (early beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19516

Postby Picaboo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:10 pm

Good luck with Korean. It is a very slow language to acquire and the resources available are good but pale in comparison to Japanese. I dont know how you like to study but here are some resources:

Somewhat decent Comprehensible Input for beginners:
www.youtube.com/@speakthatkoreanrightnow7837/videos
www.youtube.com/@ComprehensibleInputKorean

Good podcasts:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnwIG51ah7k
www.youtube.com/@storytimeinkorean

Grammar reference
Korean grammar in use (A guy named Retro has a Anki deck with the sound files but it's likely copyright infringement)

And definitely get the previously mentioned TTMIK IYAGI's which are the best resource available, but they are not for beginners (at least they stumped me as a beginner). They do have 12 or so IYAGI for beginners if you subscribe.

If you are looking for anything specific, I might have a recommendation.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:05 pm

Picaboo wrote:IYAGI

That is for intermediate learners. You can get the TTMIK on the internet archive and it is for beginners.
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

battlegirl
White Belt

Postby battlegirl » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:05 pm

Thanks to all the suggestions. I started exploring:

Learn Korean! - Hangul (Android App by Luli Languages)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US
I like this, it’s an improvement over Duolingo, simpler and organized logically. And no gamification. It only does letters, but it’s good for it. I like that it includes writing practice. And it seems to be free on Android! Only strange thing is that it teaches you to write it one way, but then the font for the reading is slightly different. Reminds me of script vs cursive. Took me a beat to recognize the J in JA.

LingoDeer
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... deer&pli=1
Unlike Luli, they have lessons. I just looked at the alphabet section and did 3 lessons. This feels like they took Duolingo and removed all the excessive gamification. Much better! And the audio is from a real person, not computer-generated. It has an overview of the whole alphabet first, which is what I said I was missing from Duolingo. Looking good! Have to figure out how far I can get before I have to sign up and pay.

Prof Yoon’s Korean Language Class
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RYag4YiXUV
It took me a second to figure out where to start and how to download the book (He makes a list of books in his “about” section, but searching for those only gives you websites to buy them. The actual download link is in the video’s description.).

While searching for his info, I ran into this page on Reddit:

1 Year in Review: Prof. Yoon’s Integrated Korean
https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comment ... iew_naver/

This is a guy who has been studying Korean for the past year, has tried different resources, and he reviews each. So, more to explore.

It’s funny. When I was a child, it was so difficult to find even just one book with cassette tapes at the school’s library. Now, we’re overwhelmed with resources, and I’m spending more time deciding what to use than actually starting… :)
6 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:06 am

So I tried Lingodeer for Japanese when I first started out in January 2020, and my experience was terrible. Obviously, there's the disclaimer that it may have improved in the last four years and it may be better for Korean than Japanese, but personally I would tell everyone I know to stay away. But the part I found most amusing was this line.

battlegirl wrote: Looking good! Have to figure out how far I can get before I have to sign up and pay.

At least in the case of Japanese in 2020, you could literally only do the very first lesson before you had to subscribe and pay. It's one of the shortest free trials I've ever seen, with the possible exception of LingQ. I'm surprised you haven't run into the paywall on Lingodeer already.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”