Sooniye TAC 2016 Wanderlust (Es, Hr, Fr, Eu)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sooniye
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (Adv), Spanish (~A2-B1), Croatian (~A1), French (~A1), Basque (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1981

Sooniye TAC 2016 Wanderlust (Es, Hr, Fr, Eu)

Postby Sooniye » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:28 am

A new year, new opportunities and challenges. After some serious thinking I have decided that I will participate in this year’s TAC, so therefore I will start this log.

I will embrace the wanderluster in me, but my focus, atleast as I start out, will be Croatian and Spanish. French will be in the background as well. I hope to find many interesting twists and turns and broaden my knowledge in these languages, their history and culture.

Some things that I want to work on:

• Spanish output. I really need to work on producing the language, both writing and talking. I am considering taking part in the output challenge.
• I want to work very hard with Croatian to increase my understanding so that I can start watching TV in Croatian.

My focus might of course change to other aspects and/or other languages.
Last edited by Sooniye on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Sooniye TAC 2016 (Spanish, Croatian, French)

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 am

Yay, I always get excited when there is another person learning Croatian :) Good luck!
2 x

Sooniye
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (Adv), Spanish (~A2-B1), Croatian (~A1), French (~A1), Basque (A0)

Postby Sooniye » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks for you kind words, Radioclare! Your amazing progress in Croatian is truly an inspiration :)

Spanish

I have continued to watch Seis hermanas, even though it feels rather strange to no longer report to the SC bot ;) I love the show, it is my guilty pleasure :D
I have decided to return to watch Isabel again. I stopped because there was no way to pause and then come back to watch later, you have to watch the episode in one go. But I really liked it so I have decided I will give it another try. I stopped watching in the early episodes of temporada dos.

Croatian

I have been working with BCS. I restarted it a week ago and today I finished the first chapter. I guess it was rather easy, considering that I have been doing this chapter two times before :lol:

Other

Me and my husband went to the opera a week ago, we saw Eugen Onegin. Obviously I enjoyed it, since it was in another language; Russian! Without the translation I would have been lost but it was rather cool to here and there hear a word and understand it from Croatian.
2 x

Sooniye
White Belt

Postby Sooniye » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:09 am

Some days ago I received something wonderful for the wanderluster in me. My mother-in-law put up a film on a window and the instructions that followed were in 15 languages! :D

These days I am mostly working with Croatian, I feel that I am in a flow at the moment. And I also have an agenda! If I keep up the good work I might be able to persuade my husband that we should get a Croatian TV-channel at home. 8-)
1 x

Jinx
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (adv), varying levels of French, Esperanto, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Croatian, Catalan, Mandarin, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16835

Postby Jinx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:30 am

Hi Sooniye, I see we share a lot of target languages. Good luck with all your studies! I will be following your log. :)
1 x
Feel free to add me on Goodreads.
Pronouns: she/her.
Corrections welcome!

Sooniye
White Belt

Postby Sooniye » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks Jinx for stopping by! :) I wish you the best of luck with your studies as well. I will also follow your log. :)

Croatian

I have mostly been working with Croatian these last couple of days. I finished chapter two of BCS. I am starting to get the hang of a larger vocabulary but I struggle a bit with some of the grammar. I need to review the grammar from the chapters and also look up the grammar elsewhere, to get another point of view on it. I am checking out the site http://www.easy-croatian.com/ at the moment. I have only started yesterday but hopefully it will help out where I feel I can't grasp the grammar.

I have noticed that I understand more and more of what is spoken by my in-laws. It feels good, but as of yet, they do not know that I study Croatian, I hope to surprise them when I can produce some more sentences of my own in the right context. As it is now they are super impressed by me saying "ciao", so their expectations can not be that high. :lol:

Other

I have been wanderlusting... During the time when I have been tearing my hair over the Croatian grammar which I can't grasp (which most likely will turn out to be super simple) I have been visiting with a flirt of mine which I have been trying to resist for very long. Basque. I have spent all my Croatian free time with learning the basics of Basque grammar and vocabulary. So far I love it. The grammar is so beautiful and it just feels amazing learning words that are completely new and unknown. I am signed up on everything I could find on the Internet, but I plan on buying The Basque Language: A Practical Introduction. I just need to work a bit harder with Croatian first before I can treat myself with the purchase.
3 x

Sooniye
White Belt

Re: Sooniye TAC 2016 Wanderlust (Es, Hr, Fr, Eu)

Postby Sooniye » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 pm

I have been having a couple of rough days, so haven't studied that much.

Spanish

I watched two episodes of Seis hermanas. I really need to catch up with it, as it is now I get spoiled all the time on Facebook and Twitter. :(
I would like to work on some output soon, but well, we shall see.

French

Not much at all. Just the daily Memrise and started working on my tree in Duolingo again.

Croatian

I have only been studying grammar besides Memrise. I think I am starting to understand adjectives in accusative. But I need to study it a bit more to fully grasp it.

Basque

Yes, I am hooked! :D I finished a course on Memrise and have others going. I also finished the first unit on Ikasten. Learning vocabulary is a bit tricky at the moment, but I'm sure it will get easier once I am more used to the language.
0 x

Sooniye
White Belt

Postby Sooniye » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:47 pm

Besides Memrise I have only been working with Croatian and Basque.

Croatian

I have finished chapter three and four in BCS. The grammar is piling up now, I need to review, so I started doing that today. I just want to get to the part where I can start reading actual books and watch TV. But there is a lot of hard work to be done before that.
I am also participating in the 6WC. I have decided to only list the work I do in the language I signed up with, which is Croatian. I find it too stressful to log everything in all languages I do so usually I just stop all together. So, I only log most of what I do in Croatian. So far it feels alright.

Basque

I have finished unit 2 on Ikasten. The vocabulary is hard. I have problems to make them stick, but I have started to see some patterns atleast. So hopefully things will get better. I really want to buy that grammar book now soon. But was thinking I will wait to the end of the month, even though I want it now :(
0 x

Sooniye
White Belt

Postby Sooniye » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00 pm

I have been sick so have not had the energy for doing much at all, including studying languages. Hopefully I am soon well again.

I have not much to report. I have been reviewing grammar in Croatian. I did some exercises and got full score on them, but still it feels like I am not getting the hang on adjective endings in the different cases. I'm not sure if I am over-thinking things, making them more complicated than they really are. :?

My husband has ordered a gift for me, since I have not been feeling well he told me what it was to cheer me up. It's called Standard Basque: A Progressive Grammar. I am so looking forward to it! :)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Get well soon!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”