Enjoying a cup of coffee (or six) in 2024

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Re: Enjoying a cup of coffee (or six) in 2024

Postby MaggieMae » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:13 am

Cavesa wrote:In general, the native German speakers tend to know much better French than vice versa, so people say that many such situations end up in French! I hear all the time francophones saying stuff like "oh, I had German at school, I should be officially B2. But I've forgotten it all and hope to never use it again!", which is pretty sad in a plurilingual country. The italophones usually also speak either French or German, even though I have no doubts there will be many monolinguals too, I see just a rather specific sample.

The Swiss are the best at expecting French from immigrants and pretty good at expecting it from other foreigners here too. It is not perfect, of course, but much better than in France or Belgium. So, I am a bit surprised to hear this from you, but you are not the only person telling me. I simply don't encounter it so much. Clearly, a longer time of observation is needed.

Yeah, I have no clue what it's like over there, as I've never set foot west of Basel or Wallis. That's pretty much my experience with the German speakers here, though, as soon as my German was good enough that they stopped automatically switching to English. We're expected to learn German and to understand Swiss German, even if they don't want us to learn to speak it, and they really look down on people who have been here more than 5-10 years and can't speak it. But French to them it's something they're forced to learn in school, it's hated, and many of them willingly forget what they've learned. Many find English easier than French, so maybe that's where we have this feeling of English being preferred. There is a large population who can speak French, but, just as many German speakers do with English, they claim they only know a little bit, despite being conversationally fluent, or at least. But, take into consideration that I live in Ostschweiz, nearly as far from bilingual cantons as you can get.

But yay for apartment finding! Congrats!
5 x
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (beginner)
SC 24/25
: 0 / 100 Books 0/100
: 0 / 100 Films 0/100

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:35 am

Cavesa wrote:In the last two weeks, I had energy only for some input.

In German, I was bored by the Vampire Diaries (the same things making them good as not hard practice are making the series boring as hell at time. It makes me consider that perhaps the 13 episode series were an improvement to such 22 episode diluted stuff). Instead I've watched a few other dubbings. 8 episodes (40min each) of The Gentlemen. Rather amusing, but still a bit pessimistic. Is it just my algorythm on Netflix, or are there far too many series about drug cartels these days? :-D I had a bit higher expectations here, but it was not bad.

And 1h55min of the movie Gray Man. If you are interested: not too original, Ryan Gosling is ok, and Prague is there in the role of Prague (a pretty big part of the Small Town side of the river with Rudolfinum, and several streets I know so well, and there are a few more places), Vienna (That's the Prague main train station, the Wilson train station), Berlin (the Alexanderplatz tower is artificially added behind the new building of the National Museum. you can also see there a side of the old building of the National Museum, the whole place is just above the Wenceslas square, by the metro Muzeum). It's funny. You can even here a few tiny bits of Czech from the policemen. The German dubbing was ok.

Overall, I am pretty content that I can watch all this new stuff rather comfortably. I get more and more details without much of an effort, and I can watch stuff to relax. That's cool.
ARD have lots of German radio dramas, perhaps you'd like some of those?
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 5th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:09 pm

Just a simple count:
to complete the two doubles and a half, I need weekly (87 weeks):
257 pages
517 min
ambitious....

But if I set the minimum as doing the two doubles:
230 pages
414 min
That sounds much more reasonable and much more like the pace I was keeping back when I was doing the original French SC before my C2 exam, while in medschool.

I'll keep the two double challenges as the "minimum" I really want. Spanish will wait its turn

Just a bit hard, when some shows are very tempting to see in original, such as the Bridgerton. It would just be weird to watch a show about England in a different language.

Oh, and I was not reasonably comfortable with the otherwise great looking Excel table someone shared on the SC thread. So, for tracking stuff, I am again signing up for the wonderful tool: pacemaker.press, which I highly recommend.
DaveAgain wrote:ARD have lots of German radio dramas, perhaps you'd like some of those?

Thanks! I'll have a look at that!
MaggieMae wrote:Yeah, I have no clue what it's like over there, as I've never set foot west of Basel or Wallis. That's pretty much my experience with the German speakers here, though, as soon as my German was good enough that they stopped automatically switching to English. We're expected to learn German and to understand Swiss German, even if they don't want us to learn to speak it, and they really look down on people who have been here more than 5-10 years and can't speak it. But French to them it's something they're forced to learn in school, it's hated, and many of them willingly forget what they've learned. Many find English easier than French, so maybe that's where we have this feeling of English being preferred. There is a large population who can speak French, but, just as many German speakers do with English, they claim they only know a little bit, despite being conversationally fluent, or at least. But, take into consideration that I live in Ostschweiz, nearly as far from bilingual cantons as you can get.

But yay for apartment finding! Congrats!

Thanks!

Well, curiously, I do not get a lot of switching to English here in the Switzerland, even though many people tell me about it. Even German natives, in situations I needed English in, had to be asked. It really depends on where you are.

What shocks me, are the people expecting to be fully catered to in Portuguese, Turkish, or yet another language, but I already wrote about that.

It is really sad that the country of several languages creates hate towards the languages in schools. I had seen the same hate towards German on the francophone side, people openly saying they hope never to speak a word of German ever again, and relieved to have forgotten a lot. Only the italophones (the most minoritiesed group, unless you count the special case of Romansh) are often fluent in either German and French, definitely intend to speak it, but are usually relieved, content, and sometimes a bit flattered that we can just speak in Italian.

We'll see in the new canton.
8 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:14 pm

Cavesa wrote:Just a bit hard, when some shows are very tempting to see in original, such as the Bridgerton. It would just be weird to watch a show about England in a different language.

Bridgerton is alternative history, so just pretend that England lost the war, and watch it in German.
5 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Cavesa
Black Belt - 5th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:09 am

jeffers wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Just a bit hard, when some shows are very tempting to see in original, such as the Bridgerton. It would just be weird to watch a show about England in a different language.

Bridgerton is alternative history, so just pretend that England lost the war, and watch it in German.

Which one? In most cases, I couldn't watch it in that alternative history, as my ancestors would have bene wiped out :-D
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:51 pm

DaveAgain wrote:ARD have lots of German radio dramas, perhaps you'd like some of those?

Thanks! Some day soon I'll need something else than Librivox, that's for sure.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:48 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Some day soon I'll need something else than Librivox, that's for sure.
I was reminded of you the other day, a French YouTuber described her practice of listening to Librivox audio books while walking ... she's a Lindqvist-ian! I thought :-)
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:11 pm

DaveAgain wrote:I was reminded of you the other day, a French YouTuber described her practice of listening to Librivox audio books while walking ... she's a Lindqvist-ian! I thought :-)

... and soon we'll take over the world. ;)
9 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Cavesa
Black Belt - 5th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:16 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:... and soon we'll take over the world. ;)

Good. It could do with some taking over by people making audiobooks a priority.

Now, I was supposed to be on a vacation this week. It turned into a staycation at home. Loving it, even if it was not the plan (the plan was Paris). Reading in Czech, so that I can purely focus on reading for SC from the 1.5. on, watching some movies (we finally saw the Dune 2 a few days ago!!! And I love the double subtitles in cinemas so much!), playing the Heroes of Might and Magic 5 in German. Picking tv shows for the Super Challenge (my list on Netflix is like my "to be read" book shelf. There's enough stuff for years!).

From time to time, I get attacked by nostalgia, procrastination, or whatever it is. And I revisit stuff I used to like. In case of the LL world, it's some blogs, learning resources, etc. But quite often, I am a bit disappointed. Or a lot.

In terms of blogs, there is this unfortunate repetitive evolution. A blog gets very good, then the person decides to make a living of it, and later they hire a ton of different people writing shitty posts drawn from the first few units of a coursebook. So, instead of wonderful and unique articles on "how I got to high level Arabic" or "how much progress you can do in three months", you get a ton of "how to say Hi in Spanish" trash.

The Mezzofanti Guild has gone this dark path. So has the Fluent in three months. AJATT is now weird too.

And about the resources: some are even better, then I remember them. Linguno is growing and I really like it. Clozemaster is evolving.

A suprise: while Duolingo is still overalltrash, it has a good script learning thing.

Some disappoint a bit. Stagnation in the awesome Kwiziq (still no third language), and Speakly, and Speechling. And Language Transfer.

Some disappoint a lot: Memrise has clearly gone the Duo path: from hero to zero. They are getting rid of the valuable part: good platform for user made courses, and they want to do just their trash courses.

Am I getting too old? too nostalgic? too much of a procrastinator?
15 x

Tumlare
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Swedish (B2+, main focus)
German (dabbling; goal: A1 by August)

Studied in the past but can no longer speak: French, Japanese, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19877

Postby Tumlare » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:53 pm

Cavesa wrote:Am I getting too old? too nostalgic? too much of a procrastinator?

No, just the continual enshittification of the internet.

Memrise still stings. I am looking forward to revisiting Clozemaster when they update the Swedish and French tracks though!
6 x
SC Swedish listening: : 374 / 18000 374/18000 minutes
SC Swedish reading: : 82 / 10000 82/10000 pages

SC French listening: : 0 / 4500 0/4500 minutes
SC French reading: : 0 / 2500 0/2500 pages

Return to “Language logs”