KO+

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
wnint
White Belt
Languages: English

KO+

Postby wnint » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Hello everyone! 8-) I see there are a bunch of Korean logs here, I hope there is room for one more!

I’ve been working on Korean on and off for close to four years now. I’ve haven’t been very systematic and basically all of my practice have been input. The same method worked pretty well for learning English but I feel that the difference between my passive and active skills is too big now. I’ll therefore try to do some writing although I don’t want to set a specific goal. I think my passive level is B2, speaking probably at A2 and writing at B1.

I'll try to do updates every other week. Between updates I'll keep stalking all you other Korean learners in here! :)

Korean:
Goals:
Passive C1
Writing B2
Speaking -
1500 new words + all unknown words in the books I will read.

Method:
> 5 min memrise/day (I’m starting with this course: http://www.memrise.com/course/368149/topik-37)
30-60 min podcasts/day (I found 유인나의 볼륨을 높여요 in Evita’s log, starting with that one, thanks!)
1 movie/week (Korean subtitles when available, I will use the koreanfilm channel on youtube a lot, highly recommended! https://www.youtube.com/user/KoreanFilm)
> 30 min news/week (using the KORTV iPhone app)
> 30 min grammar review/week (이화 5/6, Grammar in Use Intermediate/Advanced)
> Satisfy the wanderlust by starting to dabble in Japanese and Russian through Korean.
Read at least 1 book (starting with 나는 나를 파괴할 권리가 있다 by 김영하)

Japanese/Russian
Goals:
Learn som basic grammar points and a few hundred words for each language. As Japanese will most likely be my next language I will try to prioritise it. If I find Russian very enjoyable that might change.

Method:
Textbooks, movies, maybe a memrise course and finally a couple of youtube beginner courses: https://youtu.be/X-GsKOyvGYY
Last edited by wnint on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:10 am, edited 6 times in total.
1 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: wnint - KR>JP>RU

Postby Rotasu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm thinking of starting Korean so I'll be looking at your log for tips xP Hope to see an update on your log for Week 3 :D
0 x
Gone

wnint
White Belt

Re: KO+

Postby wnint » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Rotasu wrote:I'm thinking of starting Korean so I'll be looking at your log for tips xP Hope to see an update on your log for Week 3 :D
Good to hear! I'll definitely keep an eye on your log. How will you begin with Korean? I read in your log but couldn't find anything about it. :) Maybe I should try to join the the East Asian TAC team, might make it easier to keep track of what everyone is doing.

I forgot to attach this last time: http://oi65.tinypic.com/atvrqc.jpg
Last edited by wnint on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:52 pm

wnint wrote:
Rotasu wrote:I'm thinking of starting Korean so I'll be looking at your log for tips xP Hope to see an update on your log for Week 3 :D
Good to hear! I'll definitely keep an eye on your log. How will you begin with Korean? I read in your log but couldn't find anything about it. :) Maybe I should try to join the the East Asian TAC team, might make it easier to keep track of what everyone is doing.

I forgot to attach this last time: http://oi65.tinypic.com/atvrqc.jpg

Haven't started just yet. Waiting to see if I have a little time on side for it while I'm in college. I have no idea how to start xD I want to start with hangul but every site I check explains it differently x.x I dont know if I should learn each part or all the combination of letters there @_@ Any recommendations?
0 x
Gone

wnint
White Belt

Postby wnint » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:30 pm

Rotasu wrote:Haven't started just yet. Waiting to see if I have a little time on side for it while I'm in college. I have no idea how to start xD I want to start with hangul but every site I check explains it differently x.x I dont know if I should learn each part or all the combination of letters there @_@ Any recommendations?
Alright! I remember i used this playlist on youtube:

https://youtu.be/djB05a4ntQ4?list=PLADEE2A4DE3FB01E6

I don't know if it's the quickest way. But I don't think it worth doing a lot of research as it takes so little time to learn it.
2 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:11 pm

wnint wrote:
Rotasu wrote:Haven't started just yet. Waiting to see if I have a little time on side for it while I'm in college. I have no idea how to start xD I want to start with hangul but every site I check explains it differently x.x I dont know if I should learn each part or all the combination of letters there @_@ Any recommendations?
Alright! I remember i used this playlist on youtube:

https://youtu.be/djB05a4ntQ4?list=PLADEE2A4DE3FB01E6

I don't know if it's the quickest way. But I don't think it worth doing a lot of research as it takes so little time to learn it.

Thank you for linking this. Just finish my first run through it. I liked how the guy taught and how he didn't making it boring :)
0 x
Gone

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Re: wnint - KR>JP>RU (TAC)

Postby druckfehler » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:04 am

I saw the photo of your Korean books. It looks similar to what I have lying around.

I think the Korean Grammar in Use books are pretty good. I should study with them regularly, but haven't used them much yet. Have you started using them? How do you like them?

I think it's cool that you're going to start learning new languages through Korean. I also plan to do that with Chinese. But who knows when I will have the time to start a new language... This one keeps getting postponed.

By the way, do you plan on taking a TOPIK test as well?
0 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

wnint
White Belt

Postby wnint » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Rotasu wrote:Thank you for linking this. Just finish my first run through it. I liked how the guy taught and how he didn't making it boring :)
That's great. :) Maybe you already know where to go from there but I'll just drop some links that might be useful:

talktomeinkorean.com (you probably already know this one...)
howtostudiekorean.com
http://www.language.berkeley.edu/Korean/10/
twochois.com (place to buy korean books if you don't want to go through a korean (only) site such as kyobobook.co.kr)

Turns out I didn't have as many sites saved as I thought. Hopefully one or two were new to you at least. Regarding books, I like the Grammar in Use series. It is available in Japanese also I think if you want to do that.

druckfehler wrote:I saw the photo of your Korean books. It looks similar to what I have lying around.

I think the Korean Grammar in Use books are pretty good. I should study with them regularly, but haven't used them much yet. Have you started using them? How do you like them?

I think it's cool that you're going to start learning new languages through Korean. I also plan to do that with Chinese. But who knows when I will have the time to start a new language... This one keeps getting postponed.

By the way, do you plan on taking a TOPIK test as well?
I'm not really a fan of doing the exercises in textbooks, but I like to skim through them once in a while. I prefer the The Grammar in Use-series over the Ehwa-series I think. Clear examples and nice pictures. ^^ I've just started looking through the Japanese textbook (굿모닝 독한 edit: 굿모닝 독학...). It looks promising so far, might be an alternative for your Chinese studies?

It like the idea of learning L(n) with L(n-1). In the case of Japanese or Chinese through Korean it is probably not such a bad idea. For Russian maybe not the most effective though. Before settling on Japanese I was also considering Chinese. I thought Japanese would be a little bit easier (not sure if that was correct) and went with that. Any specific reason you are thinking about Chinese?

edit: Topik. I don't know if I can take the test here in Stockholm. But I think I will try it when I'm sure I'll pass level 5 (in 1-2 years I guess...). Would be nice to have on the resumé.
1 x

wnint
White Belt

Re: KO+

Postby wnint » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:00 pm

Updating my to-do list:

> 10 min memrise/day (starting with this course: http://www.memrise.com/course/368149/topik-37)
> 45 min podcasts 5 days a week
> 1 movie/week
> 30 min news/week
> 20 min grammar review/week (이화 5/6, Grammar in Use Intermediate/Advanced)
> 20 min Japanese and Russian through Korean week.
> 1 book
Rewatch Misaeng and Secret Garden (without subtitles)

Unnecessary statistics
195h podcasts
78h movies
42h dramas
26h news
Tot: 341h

18h grammar
18h Japanese/Russian
Definitely more than 40h for books/random reading
Tot: 76h

Grand total: 417h

-------------------------------------------

Update 1 Week 1-3:

Korean
Didn’t completely reach my goals (the Korean grammar part). I blame misaeng-style working hours for that. Otherwise a good start. I’ve always felt my listening was lagging far behind my reading. And I haven’t practiced almost anything for the last 6 months or so (except for movies). Somehow I seem to have improved a lot however. Little bit strange but of course I’m very happy about it. Three movies: 미술관 옆 동물원 (1998), 왕십리 (1976) and 겨울야자 (1977). I liked the second one by far the most. Great cinematography and an interesting story. I did have some problem with 미술관 옆 동물원 which at times was difficult to understand without subtitles. Often when I can't understand, a mild panic starts to spread which really isn't helping. I guess I need to learn to take it easy in these situations. No specific goals for the coming weeks except I might start watching Secret Garden.

Japanese
I think I recognise half of the hiragana characters now. I don't think I would be able to reproduce more than a few though. The goal for the next two weeks is two pin down the remaining characters and possible start with katakana.
Last edited by wnint on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:10 pm

wnint wrote:굿모닝 독학... It looks promising so far, might be an alternative for your Chinese studies?
... Any specific reason you are thinking about Chinese?

Thanks for recommending the series! Anything mentioning 독학 sounds good :) I bought some Chinese textbooks the last time I was in Korea. I think they are called 중국어 마스터. They were recommended by the 언니 I shared a flat with for my month's stay. She majored in Chinese and used those in her classes. I'm not sure how well they'll work for studying by oneself, though. If there are problems I'll just try out the textbook you recommend. Did you buy it online?
I got into studying Korean through TV dramas. When I was a lazy university student I had a year where I watched countless Asian TV series. Mostly Korean, but also some Japanese and Chinese. I think I just fell in love with the sound of Chinese. For some reason, it sounds really elegant to my ears (when it doesn't sound shrill, that is :D).

wnint wrote:Often when I can't understand, a mild panic starts to spread which really isn't helping.

I have these moments too - especially when I'm very motivated to learn more Korean. When I'm lazy, I more or less ignore the parts I don't understand. With dramas, not understanding something is usually not such a big deal. It can be more annoying when watching movies because you feel you are missing a big part of the storyline... In these situations I always had to remind myself about how much I can already understand.

If you only do half of your weekly to-do I'm sure you'll improve by leaps and bounds :)
1 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

Return to “Language logs”