Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 am

Sorry.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:49 am

rdearman wrote:Sorry.

I just wanted to say that (a) I don't think your use of "1st world problems" could reasonably be considered offensive, and (b) opinion pieces in the Guardian should be taken with a pinch of salt. ;)
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:04 pm

I have continued to "binge watch/listen" to French after my surge to 100 films and I've managed another 8 films in the last 2 days. I've got Star Trek NG, all 7 seasons to watch on Netflix and I've got two audiobooks for the car. I've discovered that "time on task" seems to be really beneficial for me, since I find myself now spontaneously thinking in French, and I've even been dreaming in French. So perhaps the problem with my super challenge, was I've been spreading it out. Perhaps binging is the way to go. I'll let you know after another 6 seasons of ST NG. :)
6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Binge watching definitely helped my Spanish. I tend to do a lot of binges. It might be binge watching, binge reading or even binge studying. Binges are great and very helpful, as long as you vary them and do a bit of other stuff too.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Well binge watching French is very easy, since Netflix seems to have decided that the only languages they should support are English, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, French, and Japanese. Even the series which I watched in Italian last year have been switched over to this new set of languages! So watching in Italian is becoming difficult. I managed to find only 2 series in Italian, both are short and only have one season each. GGGGGRRRRR!

I'm reading in French and binge watching star trek in French, so the French is going pretty well. :lol:

I'm actually undecided if I should just "French out" completely and ignore all the other languages, which at this point consists solely of Italian or some Anki cards in Mandarin. If I could find some decent series in Italian then I would watch them, although I can just keep watching Carabineri, and Montalbano over and over.

I really need to discover an Italian TV series which 5-10 seasons to binge watch. Any suggestions?
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Not Italian, and not as many seasons as you want but there seems to be several seasons of Arsène Lupin dubbed to Italian in the "you people over there tube". At least more than in French.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 pm

rdearman wrote:I really need to discover an Italian TV series which 5-10 seasons to binge watch. Any suggestions?
Rex?

EDIT
Il commissario Montalbano?. There's also an adaption of Pamela with many hours of video, if not many series.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:45 pm

DaveBee wrote:
rdearman wrote:I really need to discover an Italian TV series which 5-10 seasons to binge watch. Any suggestions?
Rex?

EDIT
Il commissario Montalbano?. There's also an adaption of Pamela with many hours of video, if not many series.

Thanks. :)
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:01 pm

rdearman wrote:
DaveBee wrote:
Rex?

EDIT

Thanks. :)
Even more exciting yet, for french, the 1970s TV series of Logun's Run has a french dub!
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Well, still doing the French thing at the moment. I discovered that Brun Ugle has leaped up two places above me in the SC ranks. For the longest time we've been neck and neck, but two people have come between us. :lol: I can't work out if this is because she is doing really well, or if I've just been passed by two people?

I'm not really sure how the SC bot calculates rank. I could go look at the code, but I'm not interested enough to actually dig into it. I also noticed that Reineke only seems to watch films and post to this forum. Either that or doesn't sleep. I have always thought if I could get back that 5 hours of sleep I get each night ...

Not much to report. I should complete the 10k flashcard challenge in the next month or so assuming I keep doing it regularly, which is a big if.

I've got a new tablet, and I've started using FBReader again. I was using my kindle fire for a lot of reading, but it is actually a bit of a pain in the proverbial for me because of the small size. My samsung tablet is much larger, and lets me whack up the font size so I can read comfortably. I actually prefer all the options on FBReader, but one thing I did have one the kindle (which didn't work for anything except English) was the word runner thing. Which I found really useful. I read fast anyway, but this cranked me up to about 600 wpm in English so I could whiz through some books although 500 wpm was more comfortable.

The drawback of my tablet is I can't seem to find a good digital voice, I used to use something called izona, iowna, or something like that. But can't find it again. :(
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”