Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Rdearman (FR, IT, ZH) 2016/17 - The way of the lazy fist.

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:26 am

Don't blame me. I've hardly done any SC related work lately. I've been wondering too how it calculates rank. I can't make any sense of it. I think you should find out and tell us.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:03 pm

rdearman wrote:I'm not really sure how the SC bot calculates rank. I could go look at the code, but I'm not interested enough to actually dig into it.

I didn't even know it calculated rank at all, thanks for pointing that out. I'm not that far behind you :D - and there's nobody between you and Brun Ugle as far as I can see
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Still rocking along on the French Binge watching. This appears to have no discernable effect whatsoever. But I'm piling through a nice modern French novel about spies and nuclear bombs and such. I suppose I am getting a little better at "self-talk" in French. I find myself occasionally talking to myself in very bad French. :D

Today I was listening to French radio (actually Belgium) and I've decided newscasters are speaking at a much quicker rate than what I'm listening to on the TV series. So I'm not sure if I should be also listening to the radio in order to drive up the comprehension of French "at speed". Although they speak quickly they are very articulate and I can seem to recognise words and word boundaries better.

All of this binge watching has made me very aware of the differences between the subtitles and what is being said in the TV series I'm watching (Star Trek NG, and Iron Fist). I've gone back and watched an episode in English with the sub-titles and it seems they are taking liberties with the French dubbing and the French sub-titles in equal measure. It isn't a problem, just that I now notice it, so I suppose I am getting a little better.

I'm also re-re-re-re-watching "Valérian et Laureline". This is a French cartoon, in French with no subtitles. I'm picking up more than the other times I've watched it, but it still isn't like I'm watching something in English. Will it ever be that easy? Who knows. I'm dipping in and out of "Hero Corp" but this seems to be a lot harder than the other stuff I watch in French. Probably due to the mumbling, slang, and colloquial speaking.
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:23 pm

rdearman wrote:Still rocking along on the French Binge watching. This appears to have no discernable effect whatsoever. But I'm piling through a nice modern French novel about spies and nuclear bombs and such. I suppose I am getting a little better at "self-talk" in French. I find myself occasionally talking to myself in very bad French. :D

What is the name of the French novel?

In regards to binge-watching, I've been watching Maigret and A French Village (Un Village Français). Both have several years of episodes, both are in French and both have English subtitles. Currently I have all six DVDs from A French Village and four sets (24 episodes) of Maigret. A French Village was done only recently, the Maigret episodes are from the MHz Networks of episodes begun in the early 90s (to be clear, with Bruno Cremer as Maigret). Both came to me through American Amazon, but I would hope they are available in your neck of the woods.

That said, I myself could not binge watch Maigret because some of the episodes end in much too somber a tone. I need a respite. I did binge watch A French Village when it first came, even though the quality IMHO drops as the seasons go by.

The French is too fast in both series for me to follow, except for the occasional phrase or short sentence. Though just from that I can tell the Maigret subtitles are usually accurate but not always exact.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
rdearman wrote:Still rocking along on the French Binge watching. This appears to have no discernable effect whatsoever. But I'm piling through a nice modern French novel about spies and nuclear bombs and such. I suppose I am getting a little better at "self-talk" in French. I find myself occasionally talking to myself in very bad French. :D

In regards to binge-watching, I've been watching Maigret and A French Village (Un Village Français). Both have several years of episodes, both are in French and both have English subtitles. Currently I have all six DVDs from A French Village and four sets (24 episodes) of Maigret. A French Village was done only recently, the Maigret episodes are from the MHz Networks of episodes begun in the early 90s (to be clear, with Bruno Cremer as Maigret). Both came to me through American Amazon, but I would hope they are available in your neck of the woods.

That said, I myself could not binge watch Maigret because some of the episodes end in much too somber a tone. I need a respite. I did binge watch A French Village when it first came, even though the quality IMHO drops as the seasons go by.

The French is too fast in both series for me to follow, except for the occasional phrase or short sentence. Though just from that I can tell the Maigret subtitles are usually accurate but not always exact.

Are you seriously telling me that 'A French Village' is not available on Amazon.com with English subtitles? I watched the majority of this series a couple years ago now and had to use a 3rd party website (as some other French learners on here and HTLAL had too) with a guy who had added his own subtitles. Are all seasons available with English subtitles? My wife would be interested (the EN subtitles no longer are necessarily needed for myself). Any French subtitles too?
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:41 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:I did binge watch A French Village when it first came, even though the quality IMHO drops as the seasons go by.
I agree with that. The first series was good, from then on OK. Audrey Fleurot's character (Doctor's wife) completely changed.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Are you seriously telling me that 'A French Village' is not available on Amazon.com with English subtitles? I watched the majority of this series a couple years ago now and had to use a 3rd party website (as some other French learners on here and HTLAL had too) with a guy who had added his own subtitles. Are all seasons available with English subtitles? My wife would be interested (the EN subtitles no longer are necessarily needed for myself). Any French subtitles too?

You gave me a heart attack, Peter. How badly did I, I wondered, mangle my post. Then I realized you meant "now available" instead of "not available."
So. Answer. Yes. Seriously.
I have 5 sets of DVDs. The last set is labeled Season 5, but I think all six seasons of the French original are on the 5 DVD sets.

No French subtitles have turned up in my searches.

Edited to add answer about subtitles in French.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sas-160-Gd-Aur ... 2360532480

Aurore noire.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:23 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

You gave me a heart attack, Peter. How badly did I, I wondered, mangle my post. Then I realized you meant "now available" instead of "not available."
So. Answer. Yes. Seriously.
I have 5 sets of DVDs. The last set is labeled Season 5, but I think all six seasons of the French original are on the 5 DVD sets.

No French subtitles have turned up in my searches.

Edited to add answer about subtitles in French.

Oops, sorry Mork! Bad typo. Thanks for your reply, i'll consider purchasing it perhaps, on va voir.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

Still working on the French but I'm feeling a bit guilty about allowing my Italian to backslide. I'm looking at taking a holiday in Italy in June, so really I should flip back to binge watching Italian. Only problem of course is I don't have any new/interesting series to watch. Although on Netflix there is a single series in Italian I could watch. I have a ton of books to read in Italian and French, but reading always seems to be more difficult to fit into my schedule.

I'm thinking I might try to rip Italian DVD I own to audio and put into a set of CD's to listen to in the car, courtesy of emk's substudy tool. How many times I can listen to the soundtrack of the hobbit is questionable! One of my friends in Italy is going to try to find me some audio books and DVD's in a charity shop in Rome. Fingers crossed!

I am missing the word runner thing on the kindle, so I've loaded a book to read on it. I'm thinking I'll put French on the tablet, and Italian on the kindle. One other thing I've discovered is if I edit the metadata for the ebook in Calibre to English, then the kindle will allow me to use the word-runner program with it. Only drawback is it then will not use the Italian dictionary for lookups. Not a bad thing for extensive reading I suppose.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”