dampingwire's JP & DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

dampingwire's JP & DE

Postby dampingwire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:42 pm

This is going to be my log to track whatever I do for the 2016 TAC.

Update:

This was for TAC 2016, but now it's just going to be JP and DE (and whatever else gets added in later).
Last edited by dampingwire on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Previous Japanese logs

Postby dampingwire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:42 pm

Until now I've only been keeping logs for Japanese.

This is my main My Japanese log.

This is my TAC 2013 log.

This is my TAC 2014 log.

This is my TAC 2015 log.

The East Asian Languages TAC 2016 team log is here.

The German TAC 2016 team log is here.
Last edited by dampingwire on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Resources for Japanese

Postby dampingwire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Here are the resources I listed in my JP TAC 2014.

If I find any other resource lists in my logs I'll link them above. Anything below is a Japanese resource that I use during 2016.

This looks like an NHK series teaching Business English.

Japanese Pronunciation for Communication!

A live Japanese radio station that I'm quite enjoying.

A set of Nihongo no Mori youtube videos for N2 grammar and N2 kanji.

NHK news podcasts, some radio podcasts and weather reports.

NHK for schools and the more advanced NHK 高校講座 (Kokokoza).

Udemy N2 and N1 courses (paid for but £10/£15 each at almost all times).

Some Japanese audio books and the Sōseki Project.
Last edited by dampingwire on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 10 times in total.
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Resources for German

Postby dampingwire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Place-holder for German resources I use.
Last edited by dampingwire on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Things watched and read

Postby dampingwire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:44 pm

During TAC 2014 I watched and read these things for Japanese.

During 2015 I worked through this bunch of Japanese books and videos.

2016 Japanese Video

1.天皇の料理番12 episodes
2.銭の戦争11 episodes
3.天使のわけまえ5 episodes
4.テラフォーマーズ13 episodes
5.ボンビーメン, 貧乏男子9 episodes
6.織田信奈の野望12 episodes
7.ドラゴン桜11 episodes
8.ファースト クラス10 episodes
9.レック10 episodes
10.垃圾律師, 弁護士のくず12 episodes
11.あしたがあるから10 episodes
12.薔薇のない花屋11 episodes
13.富豪刑事デラックス 210 episodes
14.コールセンターの恋人10 episodes
15.エースをねらえ!11 episodes

2016 Japanese Books

2017 Japanese Video

1.潜入捜査アイドル・刑事ダンス12 episodes
2.Great Teacher Onizuka (1999)Film
3.おとこめし10 episodes
4.偽装の夫婦10 episodes
5.時をかける少女5 episodes
6.ふるさと再生 日本の昔ばなしep 192 - 258
7.スミカスミレ~45歳若返った女8 episodes
8.カルテット10 episodes
9.東京タラレバ娘10 episodes
10.嘘の戦争10 episodes

2018 Japanese Video

1.明日の約束10 episodes
Last edited by dampingwire on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 27 times in total.
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

TAC Targets for Japanese and German

Postby dampingwire » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:44 pm

Place-holder for whatever targets I may set for me for TAC 2016.
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Initial plans for Japanese Study

Postby dampingwire » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 am

I don't have a plan for German yet, but here is what I think I'll do (or at least, start out doing) for Japanese.

I want to concentrate on Reading and Listening.

If I look at how much study time I can manage in a week, based on a brief analysis of my spreadsheet for last year, then it's about 17 hours/week. That's not including time where all I can do is listen to audio (for example during the commute) ... what I'm tracking is time where I can choose any activity at all.

If I allow about 5 hours/week for German, that leaves me with about 12 hours/week for Japanese.

At the moment Anki eats up about 1 hour/day, 7 days/week. I also have a tutorial which, with preparation, takes up perhaps 2 hours/week. That only leaves me 3 hours or so in which I can choose what to do. That's not really going to let me direct my study very much.

So I'm going to de-prioritise Anki, at least to start with. I'll get other things done first (generally) and then fit in as much Anki as I feel I can manage.

My starting plan is to try to do these things regularly:

* Reading of novels (intensive): 30 minutes/day, 5 days/week
    * Listening (intensive): 30 minutes/day, 5 days/week
    * NHK News: 2 articles/day, 5 days/week

I'd like to try to do each of these activities 5 times each week rather than (for example) reading for 2 hours on Saturday to try to meet a target. I'd prefer to develop some useful habits.

Anki will just fit in where it can and if my reviews spiral out of control I'll either aggressively prune or just limit my review time regardless.

Mondays will still be mostly dedicated to my tutorial: the hour of preparation beforehand makes the whole experience much more rewarding and effective. I usually spend half an hour afterwards reviewing and making notes: I'll keep that going to. I've deliberately set my targets to 5 days/week to give me some available time for the weekly tutorial and anything else that crops up and seems helpful.

Other things that I plan to fit in wherever there is some spare time:

* Work through 日本語総まとめ N3 文法, completing the exercises and reviewing any exposed weak points. Currently I'm going through a Week of grammar points on one day, doing the exercises the next and reviewing and consolidating the day after that.
    * I plan to do the same for 新完全マスター N3 文法.
    * Work through 新完全マスター N2 読解. I have about 70 pages worth to get through.
    * Work through 新完全マスター N3 & N2 聴解, paying more attention this time :-)

That's probably more than enough to fill the year. If working through the N3 文法 books goes well, I'll probably try the N2 ones too. At some point I want to try mining sentences from them. 日本語総まとめ won't take too long (as it's really quite light) but 新完全マスター has plenty of meat and I may not have either the time or the energy to tackle that!

I would like to start working through Kanji In Context thoroughly too, but I don't want to line up so much work that I have no hope of finishing it.
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Plans for German

Postby dampingwire » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:32 pm

I have no real target for German. My son has just started to study it at school so I thought I'd have a go in case I'm called on for any help!

I have Pimsleur I which I'll start using soon: it may replace the Japanese during the daily commute or I might do Japanese on the way in and German on the way back.

From the library I have TY Complete German and TY German Grammar. I was mildly surprised that, although there are quite a few German audio courses on the shelf, there aren't as many different book-based courses nor as many graded readers as there are for both French and Spanish. (Or maybe there are but they've mostly been loaned out).

Anyway, I have enough to get started.

In a week or two I'll go hunting for audio on the net.
1 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Re: dampingwire's 2016 TAC - JP & DE

Postby gsbod » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Good luck with your German studies. It's a pretty cool language to pick up after Japanese because there are some interesting parallels here and there. I think German word order would have been quite a challenge were I not already used to the mental somersaults Japanese required of me.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Pimsleur. I found it helped quite a bit when starting out in Japanese, however I gave up on the German one after about the third lesson, where it was demanding I hear the difference between "Deutscher" and "Deutsche". I still can't differentiate that one aurally, although at least it doesn't seem to have held me back in other respects!
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt

Re: dampingwire's 2016 TAC - JP & DE

Postby dampingwire » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:13 pm

gsbod wrote:Good luck with your German studies. It's a pretty cool language to pick up after Japanese because there are some interesting parallels here and there. I think German word order would have been quite a challenge were I not already used to the mental somersaults Japanese required of me.

Thanks. Yes, I do think the rigours of Japanese will help with "the unexpected" when it crops up in German. I've quite a laggard so far and just haven't really got going yet.

gsbod wrote:I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Pimsleur. I found it helped quite a bit when starting out in Japanese, however I gave up on the German one after about the third lesson, where it was demanding I hear the difference between "Deutscher" and "Deutsche". I still can't differentiate that one aurally, although at least it doesn't seem to have held me back in other respects!

I have Pimsleur from the library now (not sure yet if it is Pimsleur I or I,II and III ... I've yet to look and they change the packaging so often that the title no longer means anything to me :-) I do remember that when I started Japanese I found it very useful but that when I went to review it maybe 9 months later it seemed tediously slow. I expect (perhaps even hope for!) the same with German.

I think I need to sit down and start reviewing the vocabulary from TY Complete German Chapter 1.It clearly is supposed to have associated audio but there is no CD in the book and nothing to suggest that there ever was one, just a bunch of listening exercises spread throughout the book with a pretty blue icon so I know for sure that I am missing something :D .

I've just stumbled across this site that offers a beginner's course and has a seemingly comprehensive pronunciation guide.

Hopefully I can get some traction going over the next few days and begin to make some progress!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”