[2016] A Spoonful of Spanish [TAC] (feat. Italian, Esperanto & more)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

[2016] A Spoonful of Spanish [TAC] (feat. Italian, Esperanto & more)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Hello everyone, and welcome to my 2016 log!
Previous log: Spoon's Space for Spanish, 'speranto and... Italian.

Introduction
My name is Cherrelle, so you can call me that or just Spoon, I don't mind either way. I am a native English speaker from the north of England and I am currently unemployed, having graduated in July and struggled to find employment thus far. I spend a lot of my time these days looking for jobs, and the rest of the time I try to focus on language learning. My other interests include books, video games and comedy, as well as a current fascination about Ancient Egypt.

I decided to create a new log this year because I wanted somewhere more organised and just generally minty fresh to log my language learning. I have also taken the opportunity to write more comprehensive stories about my languages past and present. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Languages I am currently studying (+stories)
Image Spanish: As the title of my log suggests, Spanish will be my focus for the year. I have a BA in Spanish Studies which included a year abroad in a Spanish-speaking country (I spent mine in Santiago de Compostela, working as an English assistant in a secondary school), and I dedicated four years of my life to learning and improving all aspects of my proficiency in the language, so I would say I am an advanced Spanish 'user'. Or at least, I was. Since finishing university in July and moving back in with my family, my Spanish has atrophied somewhat, but I have been too excited about finally being able to do more Italian to really notice it until recently.

So, in 2016 I need to regularly engage with Spanish in a variety of ways, in order to return to the level of proficiency I had, and to push on from there. In my 2015 log, I started setting myself weekly goals with this outcome in mind, which will continue shortly. This year, I will be incorporating more focussed reading and listening into my schedule, while making some time for speaking and writing. I am also taking part in the Output Challenge, and this time I intend to complete it. 8-)

Image Italian: I began incorporating Italian gradually into my life during my year abroad, when I started watching some Youtube videos and listening to random podcasts. Obviously, already being proficient in Spanish helped me out immensely and I was able to comfortably understand a lot in quite a short time.

In the final year of my degree, I took a level 2 Italian class and I found myself an Italian language exchange partner. I quickly found that the class I was taking was way too easy for me, as it focussed on grammar I could learn myself, with very little contact with native materials or conversation practice, so I spoke to the lecturer and she suggested I attended some of the degree-level Italian classes, where things may be more suited to my level. I did attend several, where I learned a lot and enjoyed myself greatly, but I couldn't go to too many because I had my own classes to go to, where my Spanish was already showing faint signs of Italian interference, so I had to stop attending the Italian classes towards the end of the year.

Now that I have my Spanish qualification and a bit more freedom as to what I study, I have been reading a few things in Italian and listening to more Italian radio, but I am still experiencing too much Italian interference in my Spanish for my liking. Therefore, Italian has to once again take a back seat to Spanish, until the latter becomes a regularly (more) important part of my daily life again. That said, I do want to see some improvement in all areas of Italian this year, too, so I will have to squeeze it in somewhere.

Image Esperanto: I have started learning Esperanto a couple of times, but it was at around the middle of 2015 when I acquired a serious interest in the language, started the Duolingo course and began watching Evildea's videos on Youtube. I went to a meetup and spoke to some other esperantists there, and that was when I knew there was no going back. Yeah, I haven't actually 'studied' anything for a few months, and the only things I listen to are Evildea's videos, but those are helping me maintain the language and learn a fair bit of vocabulary (how much I could actually produce myself I don't know, but I recognise it!).

I want to return to (and finish) the Duolingo course this year and try listening to some Radio Verda or something. I have a lot of things bookmarked but I never find the time to read/listen to them. Perhaps 2016 will be the year. :)

Briefly Studied:
As I have recently added this category to my languages information as appears below my profile picture, I thought I would explain it a bit further.

Portuguese - I studied Brazilian Portuguese during my first two years at university, in classes like those I took for Italian (in year 1 I did level 1 and in year 2, level 2). There, I learned all the essential grammar (no subjunctives, etc.) and a fair bit of vocabulary, largely helped along by my knowledge of Spanish. From then on, I have continued to watch Youtube videos in Brazilian Portuguese, and my understanding is pretty good as a result, but I have next to no ability to speak the language.

I love the sound of Brazilian Portuguese, and I did like learning it, but I think I will leave speaking it to the Brazilians (and other enthusiastic speakers) and look/listen on passively/receptively. I am having enough problem with interference between Italian and Spanish. I don't want to add another romance language into the mix.

Galician - As I mentioned above, I spent my year abroad in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia and as such, I heard a lot of Galician in my day to day life. Already knowing Spanish and some Portuguese meant I pretty much understood the language when it was spoken to me, but I had no idea how to speak it. At the end of my time in Santiago, I took a month-long Galician language and culture course. I was placed in the intermediate class after doing a placement test which allowed me to skip all the basic explanations and get stuck-in speaking the language with my classmates. Myself and the other (inter)national students spoke (almost) nothing but (our version of) Galician for the entirety of the three and a bit weeks that the course lasted, so I learned a lot and became basically proficient. The only problem was that when I returned to university, I had to push all the Galician out and focus on Spanish again (are you noticing the pattern here?).

Galician is a lovely-sounding language, and I had a lot of fun with it. I frequently listen (and sing) to Galician music and I occasionally write messages to the friends I met on that course in "Galician", but other than that, it doesn't have any real use in my life, and I am scared about negatively influencing my Spanish, so I don't think I will be doing any more serious study in that language, at least in the near future.

Future:
The more I write in this post about how little time I have and how much of it I will need to dedicate to Spanish this year, the less I feel I should even be talking about adding other languages to my repertoire, but wanderlust is getting the better of me, and there are three languages I am itching to try out: German, Modern Greek and Basque

Summary: Goals for 2016
Spanish (TAC) - Read lots of books; watch/listen to more films/podcasts; write and speak enough to complete the Output Challenge.
Italian - Engage with as much input as possible and don't shy away from any opportunities for output.
Esperanto - Finish the Duolingo course, read something and listen to something new.
German, Greek, Basque - Satisfy my curiosity and have fun!
8 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Re: [2016] A Spoonful of Spanish [TAC] (feat. Italian, Esperanto & more)

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:52 pm

This year, I am taking on several challenges:
Output Challenge
To complete this challenge, I have to write 50,000 words and record myself speaking for 50 hours over the course of the year. This is my third attempt at the Output Challenge, but this time I intend to complete it. You can see my progress by looking at the bars in my signature. :)

TAC
This is my first time taking part in a Total Annihilation Challenge, and my main language of choice is Spanish. :D I will be watching/listening to plenty of Spanish-language films, TV programmes and podcasts for the input, while doing the output challenge will mostly cover my output for the year. Keeping with the spirit of TAC, I am a member of La Manada, this year's Intermediate/Advanced Spanish TAC team, and I am hoping that the community spirit therein will push me to do even more than I would have done on my own.

I am also doing a mini-TAC in Esperanto and I'm in Team Esperanto. I am not sure how much time I will be dedicating to this language, but being part of that team will probably persuade me to do some more Duolingo than usual and even practise writing from time to time. :mrgreen:

Music Challenge
Last, but not least, I am going to have another go at Serpent's Music Challenge. Starting this week, I will try to find a new album per week and listen to it at least twice. I will be spreading this challenge over several languages so as to discover more music in each, as I am generally the kind of person who just sticks to a handful of artists (even in my L1)

Spanish book club/Club de lectura:
The Spanish book club that I am currently in charge of has started reading our second book, 'Como agua para chocolate' by Laura Esquivel, this month. I am excited to find out what everyone (including myself) thinks about the book as it goes on and I hope this book is more of a success than the last :lol:

Befriend me on Goodreads.
Correct me on Lang-8.
Shame me on Duolingo.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:41 pm

After that huge first post (sorry about that :oops: ) and a bit of housekeeping, it's time to crack on with the updates!

The first few days of this year have been quite productive on the language front.

Image Spanish:
- So far, I have stuck to my daily goals of writing 150 words or filling one page of my 'diary' and recording my voice for at least 10 minutes. Thus far, I have written 587 words and recorded 33 minutes of speech.

- On New Year's day, I travelled to my grandparents' house on foot and listened to two episodes of Nadie sabe nada while I walked, each of which lasted around 50 minutes. Catalan comedians, Andreu Buenafuente and Berto Romero take "questions" (submitted to the Cadena SER website by their listeners) from a box and improvise the "answers". I have used quotation marks here because the audience don't always propose questions and the presenters don't always give an answer. NSN is quickly becoming my favourite podcast of the moment. I love listening to it as I walk, even though I often have to stifle my laughter, which gets me many confused stares from my fellow pedestrians. :?

- As I mentioned in my previous post, I have recently started reading Como agua para chocolate with the club de lectura we have here in the Spanish sub-forum. I am going to save my detailed opinion about the first two chapters for the club thread, but I will say that (as I wrote on Goodreads) I have shed tears twice already, but I am loving it!

- I am also trying to finish as many of the books in my 'currently reading' shelf on Goodreads as I can by the end of January, so I'm still plugging away with Historia de los Egipcios (and Voi siete qui, which is in Italian).

In other news, you may recall that in my old log I briefly mentioned the Tumblr language chat groups on kik which I used to chat (mainly in Italian) with other learners and the odd native. Well, due to a kik update which prevented new members from joining the groups, they have been moved over to Telegram, a new (apparently ultra-encoded/safe, ultra-quick) instant messaging service which gives WhatsApp a run for its money. Here is the list of all of the individual language chats. They are generally a good place to get a bit of practice in, but beware, the Spanish group and the General one can get a bit hectic at times, due to some particularly "enthusiastic" members. :?

Weekly goals coming tomorrow!
4 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 am

Spoonary wrote:In other news, you may recall that in my old log I briefly mentioned the Tumblr language chat groups on kik which I used to chat (mainly in Italian) with other learners and the odd native. Well, due to a kik update which prevented new members from joining the groups, they have been moved over to Telegram, a new (apparently ultra-encoded/safe, ultra-quick) instant messaging service which gives WhatsApp a run for its money. Here is the list of all of the individual language chats. They are generally a good place to get a bit of practice in, but beware, the Spanish group and the General one can get a bit hectic at times, due to some particularly "enthusiastic" members. :?

Ooh, thanks so much for sharing this! I briefly checked it out last night and it seems awesome for getting some practice for my active skills. :D
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:35 pm

You're welcome Yuurei! I hope it works out for you and I might even see you around in one of the rooms sometime :)

As promised yesterday, it's time to get back to setting myself weekly goals. For the last few weeks of last year, I felt having weekly goals really helped me to keep track of my language activity and gave me a feeling of achievement at the end of a successful week that helped push me on into the next one. With that in mind, I aim to set myself a few goals every week for the foreseeable future.

Goals for w/c 4/1/2016:
Goal #1 (Image Reading) - Read 1 chapter of Historia de los Egipcios.
Goal #2 (Image Writing) - Write at least 150 words/a page in my 'diary' each day.
Goal #3 (Image Listening) - Listen to a podcast/watch an episode of a TV series.
Goal #4 (Image Speaking) - Record 10 minutes of self-talk per day.
Goal #5 (Image Duolingo) - Make 3 skills gold on the Esperanto tree.
Goal #6 (Music) - Find a new album and listen to it twice.

This week's goals are a bit easy, as I am focussing on doing my daily output activities for the output challenge and I don't want to overwhelm myself with other "compulsory" activities so early in the year. 8-)

Edit: I forgot about the music challenge so I had to add a goal. :lol:
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Well, it's time to report back with the outcome of this week's goals and my general language activity for the week.

Goals for w/c 4/1/2016 RESULTS:
#1 - Complete! - I wanted to read 1 chapter of Historia de los egipcios this week and I read 2. I kind of knew I would be able to read 2 because I did so the last time I made weekly goals, but this book is a bit heavy-going at times, with it being history, so I didn't want to push it. Still, I only have 4 chapters to go so not long now!

#2 - Complete! - I have gotten off to a great start with the output challenge this week. I have been mainly writing a page in my diary each day to maintain steady progress, although one day I did the La Manada January challenge which put me a day ahead, so that's great. :)

#3 - Complete! - I listened to a 2 hour episode of Porque Podcast - ¿Por qué ese boom del fenómeno zombi? which was quite fun to listen to while I travelled to my old university on Wednesday to sort out some paperwork. I also listened to 2-3 hours of Radio Nacional (RNE) on Friday, which included an interesting feature about legumes (lentils, chickpeas etc.). :geek:

#4 - Complete! - I have done 7 random self-talk recordings this week and at the moment, I am still struggling to speak consistently well for the entire 10ish minutes. I have short moments of lucidity and then I go back to the babbling for the majority of the time. Hopefully this will improve over time as I get back into my stride.

#5 - Complete! - I am doing pretty well with Esperanto on Duolingo this week (for me). I have made 8 skills gold and I am almost up to the point where I will be actually doing new lessons and not just strengthening previous skills.

#6 - Complete! - The album I have discovered for this week is Finisterra by Mägo de Oz. Now, I am not usually a fan of metal, but the folky instruments (accordion = love!) used by Mägo de Oz create a unique sound that I enjoy. In this way, they remind me a lot of Saltatio Mortis, a German folk/metal band which I really like, despite not being able to understand most of their lyrics (yet). The album in question comes on 2 CDs, has 20 songs and pretty much counts as 2 albums, but I still listened to the whole thing twice and identified a few songs that I liked more than the rest: La danza del fuego, Hasta que el cuerpo aguante, El Señor de los Gramillos, Fiesta pagana (OMG this song!), El que quiera entender que entienda and Los renglones torcidos de Dios.

Other activities:

Image While I was at the university library, I found a book called Como aprendes el Euskera fácilmente which was full of Assimil-style lessons with phrases in Basque on one side and Spanish on the other. I don't have borrowing rights at the library any more (and I can't afford to pay for them :oops: ) so I couldn't bring the book home but I did a couple of lessons while I was there and started to work out some tiny bits and pieces about the language. I guess this means Basque is going to be my first wanderlust language this year.

Image I also did a teensy bit of Italian grammar work the other day, using that grammar booklet I have talked about before (that I got from university). I did the rest of the exercises about ci and ne and the whole section about comparisons. Doing this work has shown me that my Italian grammar is ok, but I am still a bit shaky about a lot of it, so I need to do some more serious study!

Now it's time to set my goals for next week. For the most part, they will be the same as those from this week, but here they are anyway.

Goals for w/c 11/1/2016:
Goal #1 (Image Reading) - Read 2 chapters of Historia de los Egipcios and 2 chapters of Como agua para chocolate.
Goal #2 (Image Writing) - Write at least 150 words/a page in my 'diary' each day.
Goal #3 (Image Speaking) - Record 10-15 minutes of self-talk per day.
Goal #4 (Image Listening) - Listen to a podcast and watch an episode of a TV series.
Goal #5 (Image Duolingo) - Make all current skills gold on the Esperanto tree.
Goal #6 (Music) - Find a new album and listen to it twice.
Last edited by Spoonary on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:36 pm

Impressive! You've started really strong in 2016!

Spoonary wrote:
#3 - Complete! - I listened to a 2 hour episode of Porque Podcast - ¿Por qué este boom del fenóneno zombi? which was quite fun to listen to while I travelled to my old university on Wednesday to sort out some paperwork.

¡Muchísimas gracias por la recomendación! ¡Me encantó este podcast! I listened to 45 minutes today - what a fun topic. I'll definitely finish this episode and listen to some of their other episodes as well.

(Y tengo que decir que conozco todos sus ejemplos de zombis, salvo la manga japonesa.)
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:55 pm

Gracias Stelle :D Y de nada.

Stelle wrote:(Y tengo que decir que conozco todos sus ejemplos de zombis, salvo la manga japonesa.)

Sabía que tu, como "súperfan" de los no-muertos que eres, conocerías a (casi) todas las cosas mencionadas. :lol:

A mí me gusta Porque Podcast y me alegro de que te guste a tí también. Sólo he escuchado algunos de los capítulos disponibles, pero te puedo recomendar Porqué a los españoles nos cuestan tanto los idiomas (por razones obvias), que fue el primer podcast suyo que escuché.

Edit: Shaun of the Dead ≠ Zombies Party
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:51 am

Spoonary wrote:Image While I was at the university library, I found a book called Como aprendes el Euskera fácilmente which was full of Assimil-style lessons with phrases in Basque on one side and Spanish on the other. I don't have borrowing rights at the library any more (and I can't afford to pay for them :oops: ) so I couldn't bring the book home but I did a couple of lessons while I was there and started to work out some tiny bits and pieces about the language. I guess this means Basque is going to be my first wanderlust language this year.

If you want any help/resources for studying Basque, please let me know. Basque (alongside Mandarin) is my focus language, i'm currently working my way through the Ikasten course but recently stumbled across a great resource with tons of short dialogs with transcripts and exercises, organized from A1-C2. I've only done a couple as i'm putting most of my effort into the (also free) Ikasten.net course, but once i've finished that it seems like a great way to improve your listening skills. Basque grammar is really great, though there are a painfully large amount of verb forms that require memorizing. Sentence structure surprisingly often reminds me of Mandarin.

Btw, is the book you found (cómo aprender el euskera fácilmente) in Batua?
0 x

jennybenny25
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), BSL (Lvl2), French (Beginner A1), Spanish (Beginner), Turkish (Beginner), Japanese (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1743&p=17622#p17586

Postby jennybenny25 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 am

Wow such a great start on the studying :) im dabbling in spanish but my main languages at mo is BSL and french :P

Following your log and journey- good luck! I too am on duolingo if want to follow?

x
0 x
SpanishDuolingo: 20 / 64

SC Films: 1 / 50

SC Books: 0 / 50

Outputchallenge: 220 / 50000

FirstSpanishReader: 5 / 29

CoffeeBreakSpanishSeason1: 10 / 40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FirstFrenchReader: 15 / 29

Writing: 243 / 1000

FrenchDuolingo: 29 / 78

CoffeeBreakFrenchSeason1: 15 / 40

LiveFrench: 2 / 25

Return to “Language logs”