Jimjams German Journey

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Re: Jimjams German Journey

Postby Jimjam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:54 am

Elenia wrote:Moving continents is always extremely hard. Well done for doing so well while you were in Germany. I'm glad that you enjoyed Germany, and I hope you are able to stay longer the next time. It's great that your mental health deteriorating hasn't negatively affected your view on German and Germany, and I'm glad that you are taking the time that you need. Good luck going forward.

Thank you for the support!
I had noticed my mental health worsening a little before leaving so moving to the other side of the planet might not have been the smartest move, but I'm glad I did it despite everything I went through. Now I often find myself reminiscing about the good parts of my experience which makes me want to go back so much more. It truly is a beautiful country, and Mannheim was just absolutely amazing and I recommend everyone to visit there.
1 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Hey Jimjam, I just wanted to say that it is great to see a friendly face on the 4k frequency list leaderboards on Memrise! It looks like two weeks in a row within top ten, pretty impressive feat. I hope things are going a bit better for you now.

Viel Erfolg!
1 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt

Postby Jimjam » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:27 am

WalkingAlone13 wrote:Hey Jimjam, I just wanted to say that it is great to see a friendly face on the 4k frequency list leaderboards on Memrise! It looks like two weeks in a row within top ten, pretty impressive feat. I hope things are going a bit better for you now.

Viel Erfolg!

Thanks for the message! I haven't really been done too much language study in the past few months but recently I've been getting back into German. I miss both the language and the country a fair bit which had been good motivation to try and get myself back on track with it. I haven't done too much so far, just starting back up with Memrise doing 25 words a day from the 4K list. I did miss some days but I've still been enjoying it surprisingly. I've also been trying to get assimil German with ease going again. I did a very quick run through all of the lessons I've already done (some like 3 times since I just keep stopping and starting the course) and now I'm up to lesson 45. This was where I was up to before I went to Germany. Other than that I haven't done too much with grammar except revising some stuff yesterday. This time I've decided to try a different approach once I've finished with assimil and gone through some more of the core grammar. I ordered a bunch of DVDs from amazon.de such as the complete true blood series, avatar the last airbender, some seasons of the Simpsons, the LOTR and Hobbit series', and I also have the Stromberg box set. I also have a number of German novels so all up I have enough, or almost enough, to do a personal super challenge. I've read about how successful others have been with this approach and I have noticed it for myself on a much smaller scale. I'm hoping that since it's a much more relaxed and entertaining approach, that it will hold my attention easier and I will be able to stick with it for longer. I did test the waters last night by watching an episode of Deutschland 83 which went about as well as I expected (not very :lol: ) but I didn't mind that my comprehension was so low. I was extremely tired and my focus waned towards the end of the episode but I enjoyed listening to the German and picking out things I can understand. When all of my DVDs arrive, hopefully in the next few days, I'll probably start by watching the Simpsons as I can already remember most of the episodes and dialogue fairly well in English so my German comprehension should be much higher.
I just remembered what gave me the excitement and determination to follow this new approach; reading Sillygoose1's logs! I went back and read through all of them from the old forum and damn was it motivating! If they can get multiple languages to such a high level of comprehension with a predominately input based method then I should, in theory, be able to do it with only 1 language! I place all blame on them :lol:

I apologise WalkingAlone as this was meant to just be a reply to you but it ended up being a full update :D I haven't wanted to update my log until I was sure I was going to actually stick to my learning as I've already posted way too many false starts on here but once I started replying to you, I couldn't stop myself. I enjoy having a place to keep track of all my attempts so I can see the successes in the middle of them all.
I'm just going to end it here before I keep on going, and believe me I will haha
2 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt

Postby Jimjam » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:20 am

Not too much to update. I've just been keeping up with my Memrise ("4000 German words by frequency" and "conversational German" which has like 350 useful phrases which are split into categories).
I received all of my German DVDs yesterday and so far it's been a great investment. I've only watched 2 episodes of the Simpsons and 1 of avatar: the last Airbender so far, both with surprising success. Thanks to my familiarity with them both, my comprehension was much higher than i expected. I was able to follow along with them and not really feel lost at all. I love random statistics so I would hazard a guess that my comprehension was around 65-70% for the Simpsons, and about 55-60% for avatar. It might not sound very high but my German has been rather unused for quite a while and even when I was in Germany I didn't have a huge vocabulary so this is a very nice outcome.
My plan now is to keep going with Memrise and to get into grammar more. I'm currently in the middle of binge watching Grimm (in English) so when I'm done with that, which should only take another 3 weeks, I will dive fully into German dubbed shows. I'm going to first watch the Simpsons and avatar (I'm not too fussed about the order since they were both at almost the same level of comprehension) then I will watch true blood, and the LOTR and Hobbit movies will be sprinkled in there. Once I'm through with those, my level should hopefully be good enough to watch and enjoy Stromberg. Thats not the whole plan of course, just the majority of the listening side. I'm going to finish assimil, or as long as I can stay focused with it, then I'm jumping into reading. First will be Alice in wonderland, then a book of short stories, both books are parallel texts, then I will try and finish Charlie and the chocolate factory (the enjoyment of it being easy wore off so now it's just a somewhat boring book), and read the little prince. Once I'm used to reading, I'm going to try going through the Harry Potter series. I'm thinking I'll try it intensively, mainly due to reading of blaurebell's successes with this, possibly only with the first book and then extensive with the rest. I'm not sure now so I'll see what i want to do when the time comes. Then I have some other books that I bought in Germany which I'm very keen to read.
Now let's see how I go sticking with this plan! So far I've been pretty consistent and have been really enjoying myself espexially now I'm incorporating fun stuff into my schedule! I just have to convince myself that studying German is more worthwhile than playing Xbox (damn you, overwatch!), or watching Netflix (in English).
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:59 am

I realise you've not been updating your log, but you still seem to be active on the forum, and your username is relevant to my post!

I recently came across "jimjams" in a TV series, and the meaning implied was not at all in line with my understanding.

I've always understood jimjams/jammies as another name for pyjamas, but the use in the TV series, and in our household dictionary when I looked it up is fear/panic, although my computer's dictionary does at least include my usage as an option :-)
jim-jams1 | ˈdʒɪmdʒamz |

plural noun informal

a fit of depression or nervousness: pre-race jim-jams.

ORIGIN
mid 16th century (originally denoting a small article or knick-knack): fanciful reduplication. The current sense dates from the late 19th century.
-------------------------
jim-jams2 | ˈdʒɪmdʒamz |

plural noun British informal

pyjamas.

ORIGIN
early 20th century: abbreviation of pie-jim-jams, alteration of pyjamas.

What does jimjams mean to you?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”