Nandemonai's log (Mandarin, German, Tadoku)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Nandemonai
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch/Flemish (N), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
Actively studying: Mandarin (intermediate), German (beginner)
On break: Korean (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1684

Re: Nandemonai's log (Japanese, Korean, Mandarin)

Postby Nandemonai » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Another week has passed and thus it's time to post another status update. It's been a very good week for me. I've finally caught up with Anki for all my languages and can now again start adding new words every day. I'll play if safe for now and will not start with too many new words a day. I'll start with five a day/language and increase that gradually to something I can manage without too much effort.

I ended up not doing much Korean this week. I guess I needed a break or something. Instead I got a bit too much into the Tadoku contest and read a lot of Japanese. I've never read this many pages of Japanese light novels in one single week. I'm at 700 book pages which is a record for myself already, and that's very motivating. I finished Kino no Tabi 4 and Full Metal Panic 1. Kino was pretty straightforward but FMP had some military vocabulary I was unfamiliar with before I read it. I got more used to it after the first 100 pages and then got through it in no time. I really want to read the next one now but I've gotta restrain myself from buying more books before reading the ones I already got. I'm now reading No Game No Life 2, GJ-bu 1, Mushoku Tensei 1, and Kino no Tabi 5. I've found that reading multiple books at once is helping me a lot in my overall volume of reading. I just start reading another book once I get a little bored with the one I'm reading. By the time I get back to it I'm much more motivated to read more.

Tomorrow I'll be preparing some materials for the following two weeks. Starting next weekend I'll be going on a snowboarding trip in Switzerland for a week and won't be able to do as much reading as I'd like to. I'll then be most likely focusing on Anki. My update for next week might be a little late depending on my internet connection over there.

Stats for 2016#01:
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:09 am

Nandemonai wrote: I'm now reading No Game No Life 2, GJ-bu 1, Mushoku Tensei 1, and Kino no Tabi 5.

First question, are you a boy or girl. Second question, how are you liking the No Game No Life series. Do the novels have the same amount of fanservice as the anime? When I first saw the anime trailer, I was so excited but once I found out that it was full of mostly fanservice, I was so disappointed. The plot is so interesting and was a breath of fresh air when it came out because it was a different take on the whole getting trapped in a game trope. As a girl that loves psychological stuff, I really wish the writer had made it a more serious light novel.

Do you have any plans to stop using Anki, maybe after getting N1, or do you still see a benefit to using it in the future?
0 x
Gone

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:01 am

Rotasu wrote:
Nandemonai wrote: I'm now reading No Game No Life 2, GJ-bu 1, Mushoku Tensei 1, and Kino no Tabi 5.

First question, are you a boy or girl. Second question, how are you liking the No Game No Life series. Do the novels have the same amount of fanservice as the anime? When I first saw the anime trailer, I was so excited but once I found out that it was full of mostly fanservice, I was so disappointed. The plot is so interesting and was a breath of fresh air when it came out because it was a different take on the whole getting trapped in a game trope. As a girl that loves psychological stuff, I really wish the writer had made it a more serious light novel.

Do you have any plans to stop using Anki, maybe after getting N1, or do you still see a benefit to using it in the future?

I'm male, but I don't like the series for the fanservice. I really liked the story in the anime and I've sort of just become immune to fanservice at this point, I just don't "mind it". I also really liked the art style used in the anime.

I don't plan to stop using Anki any time soon. It has really helped me and there's still a lot for me to learn. My vocabulary is rather limited at the moment. I'd still be using it for my other, weaker, languages anyway so it's not a lot of effort to keep up with my Japanese decks.
1 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Nandemonai wrote:Tomorrow I'll be preparing some materials for the following two weeks. Starting next weekend I'll be going on a snowboarding trip in Switzerland for a week and won't be able to do as much reading as I'd like to. I'll then be most likely focusing on Anki. My update for next week might be a little late depending on my internet connection over there.

How was your snowboarding trip in Switzerland? Were you able to get much studying done? xP
0 x
Gone

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Rotasu wrote:How was your snowboarding trip in Switzerland? Were you able to get much studying done? xP

Pretty great, was able to get in some studying & reading in before going to bed. We also stayed at home for one day to take a break, so that also meant I had a little more time to study.

I'll post an update about the past two weeks tomorrow or on Monday.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:30 am

Week 2 & 3 update:

I've been a bit busy with real life but I've still got some study time in the past two weeks. I've managed to keep first place on Tadoku for quite a while now without really having to put much effort into reading. I've finished 無職転生1 and GJ部1. I really loved the first one, but really had to slug through the latter one as it just didn't interest me at all. I've started 化物語・上 and とらドラ1but I will probably focus on the other two I've started first. Manga wise I'm now reading ハカイジュウ. Got through the first 8 volumes so far, and I have to say, it's been a while since a manga has gotten me this hooked on it. It's a relatively easy read for me, there are just a couple scenes with distorted speech that might be hard to read for a beginner.

My approach to Anki has been very successful so far. I manage to keep my reviews under control and add 10 cards per language (30 total) almost daily. I'll be keeping this up for at least another month to smooth out the review peaks and will then review if I can kick it up a notch slightly for Korean or Mandarin. I've also started reviewing my RTK deck again with a limit of 20 per day. It'll take a couple months to catch up at this rate as I have a 1000 something reviews, but it's the only way I can think of to smooth out the review hell of this deck.

End of week 3 Anki stats:
JP MATURE: 8770
JP YOUNG: 512
ZH MATURE: 959
ZH YOUNG: 238
KR MATURE: 268
KR YOUNG: 152
TOTAL MATURE: 9997
TOTAL YOUNG: 902

Stats for 2016#02:

Stats for 2016#03:

Goals for week 4:
  • JP: Read NGNL2
  • JP: Read Kino no Tabi 5
  • JP: Read up to volume 16 of ハカイジュウ
  • KR: Go through 2-3 chapters of できる韓国語
  • KR: Enter up to chapter 13 of できる韓国語 into Anki
  • ZH: Review NPRC1
  • JP/KR/ZH: Keep up Anki streak
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:01 pm

Didn't really expect it but today the results for the Japanese Language Proficiency (N1) test came in. Unfortunately I didn't pass, but I didn't think I'd passed.

Language knowledge: 28/60
Reading: 30/60
Listening: 30/60
Total: 88/180

So I was 12 points short on the total score. I honestly had expected worse as the test felt A LOT harder than N2 and I had only passed that one in July with 134/180. I guess I'll try again in 2017 or something, I've got no reason to go through all the trouble to go sit the test in Europe again.
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:37 pm

Nandemonai wrote:Didn't really expect it but today the results for the Japanese Language Proficiency (N1) test came in. Unfortunately I didn't pass, but I didn't think I'd passed.

So I was 12 points short on the total score. I honestly had expected worse as the test felt A LOT harder than N2 and I had only passed that one in July with 134/180. I guess I'll try again in 2017 or something, I've got no reason to go through all the trouble to go sit the test in Europe again.

Which parts did you find the hardest? I've heard that the grammar is the most difficult because they are rarely used in daily life.
0 x
Gone

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Rotasu wrote:
Nandemonai wrote:Didn't really expect it but today the results for the Japanese Language Proficiency (N1) test came in. Unfortunately I didn't pass, but I didn't think I'd passed.

Which parts did you find the hardest? I've heard that the grammar is the most difficult because they are rarely used in daily life.

The grammar might not be as common in speech, but I can guarantee you that they're still very common in novels and formal business language. I've noticed that a lot of people (including my old teacher) said that N1 grammar is useless, but that's far from true. You only start noticing them after studying though, I never picked up on them before that.

In general I found the whole test hard, I thought I did badly on everything. Couldn't finish the reading section on time (lacked about 5-10mins to finish it) and the second part of the listening was kinda hopeless for me. I didn't practice on the grammar questions either. My vocabulary was also lacking a little bit.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Re: Nandemonai's log (Japanese, Korean, Mandarin) TAC '16 Team East Asian Languages

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:27 am

Week 4 update:
Looks like I need to be a little less ambitious in my goals as I didn't even make half of them. I thought I'd be reading a lot more this week but it just didn't happen. Tadoku ended and somehow I ended up winning. I don't really feel like I've won though. There wasn't much competition to motivate you to read more this round. I'll be working hard on Korean for the next 6 weeks and I've also signed up for the 6WC. My goal is to be able to start reading the Yotsuba volumes I've bought in Korea when the new Tadoku round starts.

Goals:
  • JP: Read NGNL2
    Only read 46 pages of it, still got around 180 to go
  • JP: Read Kino no Tabi 5
    Only read 19 pages of it, still got around 170 left
  • JP: Read up to volume 16 of ハカイジュウ
    Read up till 15, count this as completed as I want to wait for volume 17 to come out before reading 16
  • KR: Go through 2-3 chapters of できる韓国語
    Never ended up getting to this one
  • KR: Enter up to chapter 13 of できる韓国語 into Anki
    Never ended up getting to this one
  • ZH: Review NPRC1
    Reviewed chapters 1-12, hadn't studied chapters 13-14 yet
  • JP/KR/ZH: Keep up Anki streak
    Never missed a single day =)

End of week 4 Anki stats:
JP MATURE: 8769 (-1)
JP YOUNG: 738 (+226)
ZH MATURE: 1010 (+51)