AroAro's log (languages, books, certificates)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Re: AroAro's log (languages, books, certificates)

Postby AroAro » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:52 am

Italian – six candidates sat the exam (one person didn’t show up), all of them were older than me – I mention this fact because sometimes I think that maybe I’m too old for language exams (I’m 38 now), that they are aimed at students and such, so that was quite relieving to see people interested in language exams in their 40s or 50s. They came from all over the country and it took them up to 8 hours to get to the exam center, and that makes me glad I live in a city where I can take an exam in about 10 languages (except for Russian, more on that below).

The exam was not easy but not particularly difficult I would say, except for listening part that was extremely difficult (and that was the consensus of the whole group), so I will lose many points here. The audio material had many background noises, the excerpts were taken directly from some radio programs and were not read by professional actors like in preparation books or even previous tests available on the University of Perugia website. For the writing part, we had to choose one of the two topics but I forgot to indicate the number of the selected topic on the response sheet as required - I hope they will rate my writing skills anyway and not give me 0 points for that.

The speaking part was also nice, sure I didn’t speak as fluently as other candidates who spent up to 20 years in Italy but I think I should get those 33 points out of 60 nonetheless for speaking. We’ll have to wait at least 3 months for the results, then some more for the certificate. And yesterday, I could put my Italian skills into practice because I had to call La Repubblica customer service (as it turned out, they are located in Albania) to deactivate my subscription (in theory, it can be done via mail but two mails I sent were rejected/undelivered by their servers, so they don’t make it easy to resign their services).

So I had this plan to sit TRKI B2 exam as my next language project but in the end I decided against it. My priority for next year will be to get my Romanian and German to C1 level (March and June respectively) and I’m not sure I can squeeze in Russian somewhere between them or before the Romanian exam. And TRKI is quite special, meaning that for example the speaking part lasts 45-60 minutes and consists of 15 different tasks, or in the writing part candidates have only 55 minutes to write 3 texts, 250 words overall. I could probably make some effort and give it a try but this time of the year, with Christmas and holidays, is not the most suitable one for intensive study of Russian :) and I use language exams as an opportunity to spend time with the language, learn something new and enjoy the process along the way, whereas the idea of sitting TRKI so soon, in February for example, overwhelmed me.

Moreover, there is no exam center in Cracow so I would have to go to Warsaw (presumably, TRKI can be taken online but online exams are more stressful than regular ones so I’d like to avoid it if possible), so that’s another reason to postpone it. I would also have to sign up to some lessons to practice speaking and writing and it’s simply not that easy in December/January due to my work commitments. So Russian will have to wait and instead, till the end of the year I’m going to hone in my listening skills in Bulgarian. I can see some progress in the area and I’d like to use the momentum to take these skills even further.

Hebrew – lesson 17 from « Manuel d’Hébreu niveau avancé »

Clozemaster
#Hebrew from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 4384, mastered 4166 out of 19999 sentences
#Occitan from French => playing 1260, mastered 557 out of 1658 sentences

Reading – I read Amadeo Balbi’s “Dove sono tutti quanti?” and really liked, I recommend his YouTube channel to those interested in physics and astronomy (I was hopelessly bad at physics in high school but still like to listen to knowledgeable people explaining it in simple terms to a complete ignoramus like me). And now, I’ll start reading Tan Twan Eng’s “The House of Doors” – I loved his two previous novels so I have high expectations about this one.
15 x
corrections are welcome

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:39 pm

Best of luck on the exam!
6 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:50 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Best of luck on the exam!

Thank you! Some luck will be welcome because I have to admit I’m no longer so sure about the final result of CELI4 – the more time passes, the more I think I messed up the speaking part (for example, I didn’t finish the oral resume of a text because my mind went suddenly blank and the examiner had to ask me a question to redirect the conversation on the right track). Oh, we’ll see!

Romanian - last week, Institutul Limbii Române announced that the next exam session will take place end of January, and after a few days of internal battles I decided to try my luck and sit that C1 exam. I expected them to hold a session in February/March actually but here it is. I guess there’ll be more sessions throughout the year but if I take it now, I’ll have more time to prepare for Goethe-C1 in June. I think that 8 weeks of preparation for the Romanian exam should be fine because unlike for Russian, there are basically no books made specifically for language certificates, so I will mainly listen and read native content – that feels much less intimidating than preparing for TRKI. And I already took B2 exam so I know more or less what to expect. I will review of course some grammar points (with “Grammatica Avanzata”), and I will go through “Limba română pentru străini. Manuel pentru avansați C1-C2” by Ionuț Geană, a book that is basically a set of 15 sample exams. I’m also planning to use Chat GPT as a way to get some vocabulary lists related to „hot exam topics” such as climate change, remote working, online shopping and so on.

Bulgarian – I’ve been listening to a lot of material in Bulgarian but as you can see, I have to concentrate on Romanian now. I’ve just updated our Bulgarian and Romanian profiles with some interesting podcasts/YT channels. I plan to get back to Bulgarian in February after the Romanian exam

Hebrew – I finished the last lesson from « Manuel d’Hébreu niveau avancé ». I remember having bought this book in 2020 and thinking “I will be so advanced once I get to this book” – well, I can see the progress I’ve made but I’m also aware that there’s a long path ahead of me, and that’s fine because at this moment my mindset is that I have 5 core languages and any additional language (including Hebrew or Bulgarian) is there for fun and to satisfy my interest in linguistics. I don’t feel the need to bring them to C2 level or what have you. It’s perfectly fine for me to put them on hold if I want to and that’s exactly what I’m going to do with Hebrew. Once a week, I will listen to a few Assimil lessons and do Clozemaster daily just to be in contact with the language.

Czech – so in my attempt at tackling Slavic languages, and given the fact I wasn’t preparing for any exam, I started dabbling in Czech with “Čeština pro cizince” – but that was of course before I heard about the January session in Romanian :) This series of books seemed to be the most complete, relying less on fancy and colorful photos and more on developing all the skills through lots of dialogues, audios and so on. It’s all in Czech but I manage so far to use it on my own, we’ll see how it’ll be going. There are 3 books in the series (A1-A2, B1, B2), I did the first lesson from A1-A2 level. There are 12 lessons in this first book for A1-A2 level but it has almost 600 pages so it'll take time to do it all! We’ll see where this journey takes me but there’s no pressure linked to learning Czech and my priority is preparing for the January exam. As a side note, I took one semester of Czech language course at my Erasmus university in France and even tried to continue learning it by myself afterwards but failed miserably for lack of experience as a self-learner and disappointing learning resources.

Clozemaster/Memrise
#Hebrew from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 4434, mastered 4201 out of 19999 sentences
#Occitan from French => playing 1410, mastered 661 out of 1658 sentences
#Czech from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 390, mastered 73 out of 8474 sentences
#Dutch: 1001 most common words => mastered 280 – I didn’t mention that earlier either but I’ve also been dabbling in Dutch using a Polish based Memrise course for 1001 most common words. I didn’t think it was worth mentioning back then but I feel now a little bit more committed to dabbling in this language so here it is. The course is based on a word frequency project by Ghent University, and there are higher levels that span up to 5000 most common words, all with Polish translation and Dutch audio. I want to experiment a little bit with the way I learn languages and I’m just interested to see how knowing some vocabulary beforehand will help me when I actually start learning the language.

Reading – finished “The House of Doors” – a really good book though it seemed to be “trimmed” during the redaction process, I think his two previous novels were longer and had that “breadth”. Reading now “Disgrace” by JM Coetzee (I read a Polish translation some 15 years ago) and then it’s time for Elena Ferrante’s “Storia del nuovo cognome”.
9 x
corrections are welcome

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:11 pm

AroAro wrote:Czech – so in my attempt at tackling Slavic languages, and given the fact I wasn’t preparing for any exam, I started dabbling in Czech with “Čeština pro cizince” – but that was of course before I heard about the January session in Romanian :) This series of books seemed to be the most complete, relying less on fancy and colorful photos and more on developing all the skills through lots of dialogues, audios and so on. It’s all in Czech but I manage so far to use it on my own, we’ll see how it’ll be going. There are 3 books in the series (A1-A2, B1, B2), I did the first lesson from A1-A2 level. There are 12 lessons in this first book for A1-A2 level but it has almost 600 pages so it'll take time to do it all! We’ll see where this journey takes me but there’s no pressure linked to learning Czech and my priority is preparing for the January exam. As a side note, I took one semester of Czech language course at my Erasmus university in France and even tried to continue learning it by myself afterwards but failed miserably for lack of experience as a self-learner and disappointing learning resources.

Is Czech not similar enough to Polish to go straight to native materials with a dictionary by your side?
0 x

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:59 pm

lichtrausch wrote:
AroAro wrote:Czech – so in my attempt at tackling Slavic languages, and given the fact I wasn’t preparing for any exam, I started dabbling in Czech with “Čeština pro cizince” – but that was of course before I heard about the January session in Romanian :) This series of books seemed to be the most complete, relying less on fancy and colorful photos and more on developing all the skills through lots of dialogues, audios and so on. It’s all in Czech but I manage so far to use it on my own, we’ll see how it’ll be going. There are 3 books in the series (A1-A2, B1, B2), I did the first lesson from A1-A2 level. There are 12 lessons in this first book for A1-A2 level but it has almost 600 pages so it'll take time to do it all! We’ll see where this journey takes me but there’s no pressure linked to learning Czech and my priority is preparing for the January exam. As a side note, I took one semester of Czech language course at my Erasmus university in France and even tried to continue learning it by myself afterwards but failed miserably for lack of experience as a self-learner and disappointing learning resources.

Is Czech not similar enough to Polish to go straight to native materials with a dictionary by your side?

Yes, I guess it would be possible to do just that because Slavic speakers get the structure of another languages within this group for free (for example the idea of noun and adjective declension) but I don't want to rush through it - some things are indeed similar but there are those tiny differences that... make a difference :) and those early dialogues are engaging enough to keep me interested - for every similar word or expression I encounter, there are just as many totally unlike in Polish so that's exciting.

So it's probably easy to reach a passive knowledge of the language and be able to read news articles (I can do that in Spanish without ever having studied it!) but I think in order to discover all the facets of the language (such as every day conversations) one can't rely solely on similarities.
9 x
corrections are welcome

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:23 pm

Wow! Congratulations on all that success! You are my hero!

Such an awesome score at German B2, you've passed French C1 DALF, and you've taken CELI C1 (Just taking is imho a good ground for congratulations, no matter the result. These exams are hard and a lot of studying is behind that). And you are so disciplined and organized in your learning! I absolutely adore that, that's one of my biggest struggles.

A few questions about CELI: have you by chance taken a PLIDA of any level in the past to be able to tell the difference? People say CILS is the hardest, CELI in the middle, PLIDA the easiest. I picked PLIDA by date. Have you had any way to compare? I am sometimes (in crazy moments) thinking of taking a C2 Italian exam one day). Also my condolences on having to wait 3 MONTHS for your results!!!! That is a nightmare.

Your other languages are also fascinating, not only Hebrew (as I hope to learn it too, one day), but Czech! I've wanted to learn Polish for such a long time. Seeing you tackling Czech is sort of renewing this desire.

lichtrausch wrote:Is Czech not similar enough to Polish to go straight to native materials with a dictionary by your side?

Yes, BUT! There is a huge difference between active and passive skills. If you learn "just" for comprehension, then a Pole can surely start with normal Czech books and dictionary (or Readlang or equivalent), or a Czech with a Polish book (my plan. I've been a huge fan of Polish fantasy and scifi. Polish and Czech both offer so much in these genres!).

But as I've learnt the hard way, when learning Italian, my third romance language, it may not suffice at all for the active skills, it may leave you speaking and writing a hybrid, and you can have 3 CEFR levels gap between active and passive skills. So, as long as you are sure you won't ever want the active skills and hate yourself for the huge gap, go on and just read.

So, I totally get why AroAro uses a coursebook. The main difference will be struggling with it much less than a native English or French speaker, and also being able to use a monolingual coursebook quite comfortably right from the start. But it will still be useful to approach the language as a humble learner learning something new, and not the far too common "I am already perfect, it is just a few different word endings" case.
6 x

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:06 pm

Cavesa wrote:Wow! Congratulations on all that success! You are my hero!

Thank you! And I owe part of this success to you as well and other members of this forum, your stories about language exams inspired me to take language exams after a long hiatus! (By the way, congratulations on your Goethe C1 certificate!)

Cavesa wrote:A few questions about CELI: have you by chance taken a PLIDA of any level in the past to be able to tell the difference? People say CILS is the hardest, CELI in the middle, PLIDA the easiest. I picked PLIDA by date. Have you had any way to compare?

I chose CELI because it’s the only Italian exam offered in my city (I think those Italian Cultural Institutes are split between Perugia and Siena because for example in Warsaw only CILS is offered), and I already took B2 12 years ago. I even had a quick look at some past papers for CILS and PLIDA but I don’t think they are so different in terms of difficulty. PLIDA is considered to be the easy one in the bunch probably because it doesn’t have that 5th part dedicated to grammar, unlike CILS and CELI, so there is less to worry about before the exam. And CELI and CILS used to deduct points for incorrect answers so that helped create an aura of difficulty around them but for me personally, PLIDA seems to be a totally reliable exam so nothing to worry about!

Cavesa wrote:I am sometimes (in crazy moments) thinking of taking a C2 Italian exam one day.

I also have that crazy dream of taking a C2 exam in Italian – I will start with CELI and then will try my luck with CILS if I fail CELI (and then PLIDA in Gdansk if needed) :)

Cavesa wrote:Also my condolences on having to wait 3 MONTHS for your results!!!! That is a nightmare.

oh yes, 3 months is so long, people at the Institute hinted at staff shortages in Perugia as a reason for such a long waiting time between the exam and the results, and apparently there will be less exam sessions in 2024 because of that.

Romanian – I reviewed some grammar from “Grammatica avanzata” (Hoepli) and know I need to focus on pronouns that are specific to Romanian (such as însumi, cel, același) but also the spelling of ordinal numbers – these things seem obvious but when I need to use them and write them, I suddenly have doubts. I also finished the testing part of “Limba română pentru străini” and my average score is 75% (it’s hard to give an exact number because there were many open type questions). I think it’s pretty solid and I would be more than happy to get this score for the real exam! And now, I need to write 10 assignments from this book for the writing part of the exam. I’m also halfway through “Evenimentul Istoric”, one of the magazines I bought back in June in Bucharest.

Czech – I did lessons 2 and 3 from “Čeština pro cizince”. So far, the most difficult thing is the pronunciation, especially:
- Stress placed on the first syllable unlike Polish where it falls on the second syllable
- Vowel length (kvantita in Czech, iloczas in Polish) – apparently, Polish dropped it in XV century but it persevered in Czech till today
- The letter “ř” that also existed in Polish (that’s why we have “rz” and “ż” in spelling but today they are pronounced in the same way, meanwhile there’s a difference between the two sounds in Czech), I try to practice its pronunciation – it’s easier when “ř” falls after another consonant but more difficult when a word starts with this sound or is between two vowels

Clozemaster/Memrise
#Hebrew from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 4479, mastered 4246 out of 19999 sentences
#Occitan from French => playing 1500, mastered 752 out of 1658 sentences
#Czech from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 440, mastered 118 out of 8474 sentences
#Dutch: 1001 most common words => mastered 300

Reading – finished “Disgrace” (amazing and devastating book) and just started reading “Storia del nuovo cognome” so can’t say much about it
8 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:03 am

Romanian – I wrote 10 essays based on questions from the coursebook “Limba română pentru străini”. I didn’t send them for review to anyone but I’m quite confident in what regards my writing skills. After taking 4 language exams in the last 10 months, I can write an essay with my eyes shut which is a good thing because for the written part of the Romanian exam, I’ll have only 1 hour so there won’t be time to prepare any draft – I will have to write the essay (or even essays) directly on the answer sheet.

I finished reading “Evenimentul Istoric” and will now be reading “Cronicile. Curs de guvernare”, a 180 pages long quarterly magazine about politcs and economy. Actually, I suppose I will finish it quite quickly because there shouldn’t be so many unknown words but we’ll see of course. And regarding listening skills, I’ve been listening mainly to podcasts by “Radio România Actualități” – I guess the listening part will be based on a radio input just like last year at B2 level, and it’s good to familiarize yourself with different voices and people joining in the conversation by phone which creates a lot of background noise. I don’t watch much YT videos except for the travel channel “HaiHui in doi” that allows me visit “vicariously” places I will never go to in my life (they’re now in Antarctica for example). And the girl speaks in such a clear and, sophisticated?, way that it’s a real pleasure to listen to.

And I started using ChatGPT – so I created a list of around 40 topics for C1 level after researching Internet. I ask it to write an essay about a given topic in Romanian, then I read it aloud a couple of times, I record myself and listen to the recording to check on the pronunciation, and finally I make an oral resume of the essay trying to add my reflections on the topic. This exercice is supposed to replace conversation practice because I don’t intend to sign up to iTalki lessons (even though I’d love to reconnect with Raluca, the tutor I had last year, she was amazing) due to lack of time. If I fail, then sure I’ll invest some time (and money) to have those real conversations with another human being!

Czech – did the lesson 4 from “Čeština pro cizince”

Clozemaster/Memrise
#Hebrew from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 4519, mastered 4283 out of 19999 sentences
#Occitan from French => playing 1580, mastered 837 out of 1658 sentences
#Czech from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 485, mastered 164 out of 8474 sentences
#Dutch: 1001 most common words => mastered 325

Reading – I didn’t know that “Storia del nuovo cognome” was 600 pages long because I got it in electronic format, it was hard to get into the book but after like 40-50 pages I can’t put it down. What helps is that the book is divided into 125 chapters, never longer than 7-8 pages, so it’s easy to tell myself “let’s just read one more chapter” at dead moments during the day. The two friends are no longer kids so it’s probably easier as well to engage emotionally in their stories as well. After that, I will read Yoko Ogawa’s Museum of Silence (Chinmoku hakubutsukan, in Polish translation).
6 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:00 am

Happy New Year to Everyone!

I’m a little bit scared to post it because it seems that what I actually do throughout the year doesn’t have much to do with the goals I set in the beginning of the year but here we go again! The big thing I didn’t predict in January 2023 was that I would take 4 language exams and this year, I’d like to continue this trend and sit C1 exams in Romanian (January) and German (June) and C2 in English (December) but we’ll see how things will pan out during the year. And I got that C1 certificate in French and now it’s in the maintenance mode. I’m inclined to say the same thing about my Italian, I just hope the results of the Italian exam won’t be disappointing! Russian is also being “maintained” but I will be able to officialize my level in 2025 at the earliest.

Regarding Hebrew, I did some progress this year and will continue to dabble in it this year but when it comes to dabbling, my priorities for 2024 are Czech (and maybe Dutch but I need to take C1 in German first). I’m happy with what I achieved in Bulgarian, after the exam in Romanian I’m planning to focus on developing my listening skills in this language before I devote most of my time to German.
It was nice to dabble in Occitan last year, I think that my curiosity has been satisfied and once I finish the Clozemaster track, I’ll move on to another Romance language – European Portuguese but again, no specific or terrific goals about that one, just a little bit of dabbling if time allows. And finally Yiddish – ouch, didn’t do literally anything in the language. I’m still interested in it and would really like to sign up for the online course held by Jewish Theater in Warsaw but it’s not going to happen this year.

Reading books – I read in total 51 books, here are the stats by language:
Polish – 21
French – 10
English – 9
Italian – 4
Romanian – 3
German – 2
Russian – 2

The best books I read in 2023 are – anything by Yoko Ogawa (I read 4 of her books so far), “Neapolitan Novels” by Elena Ferrante (read two first books in the series) and maybe something in French, François Mauriac’s “Le Noeud de Vipères” for example.
---------------------------
Romanian – I’m halfway through the magazine “Cronicile” – as predicted, I’m going through it quite quickly. I also asked ChatGPT to write around 20 essays on different subjects. To be honest, I think that my essays are better because those written by ChatGPT lack details and examples (but maybe I should prompt it to include those).

Czech – doing lesson 6 “Čeština pro cizince”

Clozemaster/Memrise

#Hebrew from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 4569, mastered 4335 out of 19999 sentences
#Occitan from French => playing 1658, mastered 937 out of 1658 sentences
#Czech from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 535, mastered 214 out of 8474 sentences
#Dutch: 1001 most common words => mastered 350

Reading – finished that book by Yoko Ogawa (it was not so good as other of her books that I read but still something I can recommend) and now I’m reading in French “Leurs enfants après eux” and “Mémoirs de porc-épic” by Alain Mabanckou.

Irish – just wanted to mention here that I watched the movie “The Quiet Girl”, the first movie ever in Irish to be nominated for Oscar. Maybe the movie lacked that “punch” but the final scene was really touching and the cinematography was simply stunning. I also liked it that the director trusted his audience and relied on images instead of dialogues to develop the story. Can’t say much about the Irish language in the movie because I never attempted to learn it but I wouldn’t probably be able to say “it’s Irish!” if someone spoke to me in it.

10 x
corrections are welcome

AroAro
Green Belt

Postby AroAro » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:17 am

The forum has more or less stopped working for me, I wonder what the odds are of losing it permanently. That would be a pity!

Romanian – I finished reading “Cronicile” and my next read is “Dilema Veche” – a weekly magazine, many texts in the reading part of the exam are sourced from that one so it’s a good idea to read at least one issue before the exam. I also stopped working with ChatGPT for a couple of days because I will go through some past papers (even though the problem with this exam is that it’s not super standardized and exercises can take any form and it’s hard to predict what challenges I will face on the day of the exam).

Czech – doing lesson 7 from “Čeština pro cizince”

Clozemaster/Memrize
#Hebrew from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 4614, mastered 4398 out of 19999 sentences
#Occitan from French => playing 1658, mastered 1027 out of 1658 sentences
#Czech from English (Fluency Fast Track) => playing 580, mastered 259 out of 8474 sentences
#Dutch: 1001 most common words => mastered 370

Reading – I read the two books in French (“Leurs enfants après eux” and “Mémoirs de porc-épic”) and can’t say it was a groundbreaking experience but I enjoyed them anyway. The former won the Goncourt Award (rarely a good recommendation but in this case probably deserved it), it’s set in the 90’ in a little postindustrial town in Lorraine, telling a story of a group of teenagers from different milieus, with the use of casual language in the dialogues. I missed a lot of cultural references explicity related to that particular time and place but it didn’t hinder the reading process that much. What I didn’t like is that the ending was disappointing, like there was no ending and the story could go on and on for many pages more!
The first week of the year was quite intense in terms of reading because I also managed to read “The Vegetarian” by Han Kang (in Polish) and “Der Vorleser” by Bernard Schlink (in German) – these are quite short unlike my next read “Pompeii: The Life of a Roman Town” by Mary Beard (in Polish though).
10 x
corrections are welcome

Return to “Language logs”