语학子's gotta get back into it

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Yuhakko
White Belt
Languages: French (N), English (Fluent), Spanish (Business Level), Japanese (N1), Korean (Intermediatish), Mandarin (HSK3+?)
Dabbled in : Norwegian, Ainu, Tagalog, Indonesian, and a few others

语학子's gotta get back into it

Postby Yuhakko » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:21 am

Well well well. I guess it's about time to start a new log here. For those who are curious, here's my previous log : http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34658&PN=0&TPN=1.

Let's try to give a real short summary (although I'm very bad at summarizing):

I've been learning quite a few languages up until now but only three are really important to me : Japanese, Korean and Mandarin. I've also dabbled or studied others in the past so first a quick list :
- English : Well, I just studied it at school but my improvment came from TV shows, movies and talking a lot with friends. I also learnt a lot through reading "The economist" a few years back
- Spanish : I used to hate this language as a kid but still ended up taking it in middle school and even did a 5-month internship in Catalunya (Spain) 5 years ago. Thanks to that, my spanish go good enough to read a business level and the accent I picked up was good but then I never really kept on studying it so I lost it and now have troubles here and there. I can still speak it and am pretty sure it'd come back quickly if I went back to it but I don't really feel like it.
- Catalan : While in Spain, I picked up quite a bit of Catalan. I can read some news here and there but definitely can't say I speak it.
- Norwegian : I've dabbled in it for a few months 2 years ago but that's pretty much it. I like the sound of it though so I sometimes watch a movie or a TV show in this language.
- Italian : Don't know if I ever said it, but I had some fun in the past in Italian, reading 40-50 pages in Italian to learn it without background. Was fun and I'd like to have fun in it in the future but now's not the time yet.
- Indonesian & Tagalog : I checked a few lessons online here and there but nothing much. Was fun though and I know (almost) for sure, the next time I want to dabble in a language, it'll be one of those two.

Now for the major languages :
- Japanese: I started getting some interest in Japanese in middle school with manga (I liked the sound of Japanese) but really started to study it with evening classes during my first 2 years of university (2008-2010). I didn't learn much during those 2 years, but it gave me the motivation to go on on my own afterwards. I then went to Japan for my exchange for 4 months and a half (2012) during which my understanding improved greatly but my active skills were still lacking behind. I passed the JLPT N2 on July 2012 with a perfect score for listening comprehension but not so great for the rest (in my defense, I went without proper preparation to check for my improvment : I had failed it by 4 points in December 2011). 6 months after coming back, a friend from Japan became my flatmate for 6 months (2013) and that helped improve my level. Since then though, I haven't studied really seriously Japanese and as a result I more or less stagnated. However in June of this year, I moved to Japan for a job and now I am using daily Japanese, reading articles (translating quite a few of them), talking with colleagues and more recently I also started going out with a Japanese girl which helps a lot as well. I plan on taking the JLPT N1 next July but for this I'll need to get back in proper study-mode.

- Korean: My first interaction with Korea was through 2 Koreans I met in the summer of 2008. I instantly loved the sound of it and starting learning bits of it. I however soon stopped for the year as I wasn't seen it as important to me. In the summer of 2009, I met another Korean and he motivated me again. I also got to know about evening classes in Paris very cheap. I tried to apply for the "false beginner" class but it was full and as I had already learnt the Hangeul, I didn't want to go back to the very basics so I applied to the intermediate class. I suffered during the first months but I quickly caught up with the others and improved quickly during this period. At the end of the year, in summer 2010, I went to Korea for 2 months and a half for holidays and did a lot of volunteering (WWOOF and workcamp) during which I got more at ease speaking Korean. I also ended up going out with a Korean girl for more than a year and she helped me a lot improve my accent and ease speaking. However because of this, I reached a conversational level in about a year and lost motivation to study properly. Since then, not much has changed. I have definitely improved but I believe I am still at a very low level, having skipped much of the basics. I sometimes practiced Korean or try doing some proper study but nothing regular at all.

- Mandarin: Mandarin started as a bet. Someone bet me I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation in Mandarin in a year. That was in 2012, right before going to Japan. I took up the bet but didn't start anything until I came back to France in end of August. At that time, I started using Assimil while watching a lot of Chinese TV shows and movies. Luckily I was able to have a simple conversation in December of that year and was happy with myself. However, although I didn't expect it, I got very hung up on Mandarin so I went on studying it here and there (much less than before). In February 2014, I went to do an internship in Shanghai for 6 months which helped me improve in general but unfortunately not so much. Furthermore, after coming back I stop studying it at all and went back to Japanese and Korean. I didn't feel any need to study Mandarin and I didn't really miss it. This being said, after arriving in Japan, I started realising I missed it so I started studying it again from Japanese with a 15-minute podcast every morning. Unfortunately a "new year" started and the level is now very very basic Mandarin. Thus I now need to find a good way to study it again.

I guess that's pretty much it. To summarize the past 5 months , I've been lacking motivation and not doing much so now the goal would be to start getting back some sort of routine and have a proper one settled by next January.

I'll try to give a more detailed explanation of the little I've been doing in those languages soon but now it's time to go to the French Embassy for the attacks that happened in Paris last Friday.
5 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Re: 语학子's gotta get back into it

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Yuhakko wrote:- Indonesian & Tagalog : I checked a few lessons online here and there but nothing much. Was fun though and I know (almost) for sure, the next time I want to dabble in a language, it'll be one of those two.

Well, I am an Indonesian so maybe I can help you. By the way, I like how you wrote the "hal" in Yuhakko using Hangeul. I assume either the "Yu" or "ko" is Mandarin, though I bet that the "ko" one is Japanese. Are these interchangeable?
1 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Yuhakko
White Belt
Languages: French (N), English (Fluent), Spanish (Business Level), Japanese (N1), Korean (Intermediatish), Mandarin (HSK3+?)

Postby Yuhakko » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:40 am

Monox D. I-Fly wrote: Well, I am an Indonesian so maybe I can help you. By the way, I like how you wrote the "hal" in Yuhakko using Hangeul. I assume either the "Yu" or "ko" is Mandarin, though I bet that the "ko" one is Japanese. Are these interchangeable?

Thanks! I'll be sure to ask you stuff when I'll get back to Indonesian ;)

Yep indeed, the Yu is in Simplified Mandarin and Ko is the Japanese part. Basically I made this nickname based on my 3 main languages and I figured it was the best sounding one. I also thought of 语学인 (Yugakuin) but it sounds too Japanese while I was looking for something more transversal. It more or less means "the kid studying languages" :)

---

So, now to resume the little I've been doing.

- General : I just went yesterday to a language exchange meetup and although there were only 8 people, I was able to converse in Japanese, Korean, Mandarin. Actually I ended up talking the majority of the time in Japanese and English but at the beginning it was mostly Mandarin. Turns out I can still understand quite a bit albeit my lack of practice/study.

- Japanese : I haven't finished my book started before coming to Japan (gotten lazy and reading a few pages here and there only) but I bought a new book which I am reading at a slow pace of a few pages every few days. I am still reading a lot of Japanese newspapers for work and translating some of them as well. Speaking-wise, living in Japan, I get the opportunity to practice every day but the variety of what I talk about is rather inexistant. I should find ways to improve my Japanese as I really want to pass the JLPT N1 next July.

- Korean : I've studied a few grammar points here and there and I now put new words on my walls around my appartment in order to remember them. Apart from this I haven't been doing much. I sometimes exchange in Korean with friends or a colleague based in Korea but that's pretty much it. I'll try to go often to that language exchange meetup so I get this opportunity to practice more.

- Mandarin: I'm not doing anything but listening to some music in Chinese. Same thing as for Korean, I need to go often to the language exchange to practice. It felt really good to be able to converse a bit last time.

On another note, I'll see my familly for new year's eve and I'll ask them to bring some Mandarin & Korean material I have at home. I hope that'll get me going again.

I'll try to write a potential plan for studying for the next half year in my next post.

PS: I'm starting to catch up on everybody studying Asian languages here but haven't had time to read much yet. I'll get around to it soon!
1 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi Yuhakko,

Glad to here from you! How is your life in Japan?
0 x

Yuhakko
White Belt

Postby Yuhakko » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Hi Anya ! Thanks for the message.
Life is pretty nice. My boss is the worst and doesn't know how to manage a team so it gets me in a bad mood just seeing her but the work in itself is alright. Life outside of work is awesome though! It's always full of surprises and I get to meet a lot of different people. I'd say I've finally settled down here. I have my habits, my friends, my favorite spots (especially that coffee shop right behind my place where I am right now), etc. so I'm really loving it here. I don't know how long I'll end up staying here in Japan, but I'd like to try to stay for 3-4 years at least. But then again, I guess we'll see how things evolve.
One thing I am missing a bit is traveling. I just get lazy every weekend and end up not visiting anything. I'd like to get to do sth about this but I don't know when I'll get around to it.

----

Now just a quick update : I finally got a table at my place (I used to only have a lower table which is not practical to study). I just need to find a chair and I'll be able to get back to proper study.
I did motivate myself enough to start reading a full magazine about Tea. How it's made, what are the differences between them, the different tastes, etc. It's pretty interesting and I'll try to finish reading it before my holidays (starting on December 27th).

I ended up looking for material on learning tagalog. I'm not gonna commit much to it but for now I'll be doing a bit of memrise everyday until I find a proper method that suits me. Any recommendation for a book+audio material is more than welcome!

Regarding languages, that's pretty much it so now let's start make up a plan for the next 6 months.

Japanese: I'll be taking the JLPT N1 in July, that's for sure. So, as I really want to pass it, I need to start working towards it. I've got a few books ready (Test mocks and 日本語総まとめ among others). I'll start actually studying for it right after my holidays so begining of January but until then I'll try to read as much as possible on different topics. I already do so at work but I'd like to go on more random topics (I read a lot on Fashion, Cosmetics, health, interior design, sports for work but nothing else). I'll get a proper program later though.

Korean: I'd like to take the TOPIK exam but I don't think I'll do it in the first half of the year. I saw that it'll be held 4 times overseas next year and the 2 last times are in October and November. If possible, I'd like to take it then. As a result I need to start improving. First I'll go on working on grammar points regularly as I am doing right now. But I do need to read more. I'm considering buying the new TTMIK book for news because it seems pretty neat. But I'll also try to read a full book in the first 3-4 months (at a slow pace) and then, after the JLPT, work more consistently towards the exam in itself.

Mandarin: I've just taken out the HSK 3 Mock Tests book I bought a while back. I think I'm above that level but I'll go through it and fix regular mistakes first. After this, I'll decide how to order my studies, but I think I'll go through the NPCRs that I have because it's certainly the best ressource I'll ever get my hands on. I'd like to take the HSK 4 (or 5?) in 2017 so let's get this stuck in my head.

Tagalog: Just have fun with the language and watch a few things to recognize words here and there would be nice but no pressure here. I won't even feel bad if I give it up, but a little breather will do me just fine.
2 x

Yuhakko
White Belt

Postby Yuhakko » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:34 am

I'm now at my 6th day using (again) memrise. I've put a "goal" of 1500 points per day for 3 decks so it takes me maximum 10-15min total but contributes to doing at least something in the language. The decks are :
- Korean Intermediate Grammar : basically it's sentences certainly taken from the book so it helps seeing daily examples and here and there learn new words.
- Tagalog basics: Just a few words with the pronunciation so it helps creating a base on which I'll learn more later.
- Norwegian : I saw a deck I had forgotten I had in Norwegian with basic words and sentences so I've gotten back to it. It feels very easy so I guess I do remember a bit from when I dabbled with the language 2 years ago.
- Japanese advanced grammar (no goal set for this one) : It's basically JLPT N1 and N2 grammar sentences so I am doing those slowly but surely.

Last time I used Memrise, I wasn't a big fan of it but this time around, I appear to enjoy it more. I don't know if it's the interface which has changed, the fact that I haven't done any flashcards-type activity in a while or just that I'm more motivated than last time, but it's a fact, I'm enjoying it.

I also continued reading the Tea magazine. I've learnt a few words and I enjoy learning more about Tea (I love tea, I really do). It's interesting to learn the differences in production, taste, color, origin, etc.

Aslo still going on with the Korean Intermediate Grammar book. My place is really starting to be full of small vocab notes :lol:

Fun fact also: I don't really know how I got motivated to do so, but yesterday I finally decided to check the book of HSK 3 mock tests I had taken out last weekend. I used to think my level was between HSK 3 and 4 but never really confirmed. Yesterday, I just did the reading part, in about 15-20 min and got 100% right! So I guess even after a long time not studying much, I still remember some stuff. :roll: I'll try to do the two other parts this weekend and if all goes well, I think I'll also take the HSK3 in March just so I can put this on my resume when the time comes and then I'll go for level 4 or 5 in 2017 as said in my previous post.
1 x

Yuhakko
White Belt

Postby Yuhakko » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:01 am

Oh my god... It's been so long since the last time I came here... I've been working on a huge event for work and it's taken me loads of time everyday, coming back late and I also spent a week in NY for New Year's Eve. Anyway I'm back for good this time.

Let's start with a sum up of what've I been up to. Unexpectedly, I've been doing quite a bit. After work, I often came back and studied some Korean or Mandarin and here and there some Japanese. Plus obviously I'd read a lot of Japanese daily at work and use it as well.

Japanese: I've been using memrise to learn some advanced grammar patterns, reading articles daily on a variety of topics and I just started again today to work on 日本語総まとめN1読解. I skimmed through the first part which I did a long time ago and it's felt rather okay so I decided to start from where I left off last time (Week 3).

Korean: I've continued working on grammar patterms from Korean Grammar in Use, started again following the podcasts from NHK everyday (more or less) but this time at the レベルアップ stage. Texts are longer and more complicated but I still know most of it. We'll see how it evolves after. I've also been doing the Memrise for the grammar points mentionned in my previous post (I missed one day so I just reached 30 days in a row today). I also finally started reading 엄마를 부탁해. Now, let's hope I won't give up..

Mandarin: I've been doing the NHK podcasts everyday and I've finished 2 HSK3 mock tests. The first one I had 3 mistakes out of the 80 questions and in the second one, I had 7-8 mistakes. It's not much but I don't like it so I'm planning on studying a bit more this level while trying to get a bit to a higher level.

Else:
- Norwegian : Finished one Memrise deck and started on another one (taken from På vei). That's pretty much all I'm doing but if I find some movies or TV shows for free with English subs, I'll watch them. I also printed the 4 first lessons of På Vei but haven't started yet.
- Tagalog: Doing one Memrise deck and that's it. I bought a book to learn it in NYC but haven't opened it for more than 5 min yet.
- Thai : Trying to figure out the writing system. (I bought a book in NYC as well). I spend 10min here and there when I feel like it. It's messed up :lol:

I also bought a number of books in NYC but the last one to learn a language is : Teach Yourself Cantonese. I'll get to it this year I guess :)

Anyway, now for my goals this year :
Tests:
- HSK3 : In march. I just signed up yesterday. Goal : 万点, no mistake!
- HSK4 : Maybe in October or December (in december if I don't fail the JLPT N1 in July)
- JLPT N1: In July. I'll certainly fail it real hard so probably in December as well.
- TOPIK 4: In September/October (If I remember well). I should pass it with trouble if I start reading regularly and write more.

Books:
- Mandarin: Read at least 2 readers (rather shorts)
- Japanese : read at least 4-5 books (no limit of length)
- Korean : Read at least 1 book and try my best to read 2.

Viewing:
- Mandarin : Catch up on the Voice of China (haven't even seen the 2014 season, just 2 episodes); Try watching a whole season of a show without eng subs (but with Mandarin subs)
- Japanese: Finish watching last year's 大河ドラマ (I am at episode 30 but haven't found the rest); Watch 2-3 movies
- Korean : Watch 1-2 dramas and 2-3 movies at least

Output:
- General : go at least 5-10 times to the Language Exchange café in Tokyo on Saturdays

Those are yearly goals so I'll try to make more short and measurable goals in the following week!

In anycase, I'm back for sure this time and will try to catch up on everybody's logs!
Oh and of course, right after posting this, I'm on my way to sign up for the TAC 2016!!
2 x

Yuhakko
White Belt

Postby Yuhakko » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Now, before this week finishes here in Japan, I'd like to put a few goals for this coming week. I won't make them too hard but I'll try to have some every week.

Japanese :
- Translate at least one article (if motivation is there, this will be the one : http://blogos.com/article/155407/. If motivation is really here, I'll do it both in English and French)
- Read 2 short stories from the book I have
- Read 2 pages of the Tea magazine (totally stopped reading it in mid-december)
- Doing one lesson of 日本語総まとめN1読解 per day

Korean:
- Follow the podcast at least 3 days out of the 5 (it's at 10pm so if I go out in the evening, that's a done deal)
- Study 2-3 grammar patterns from Korean Grammar in Use
- Read 10 pages of 엄마를 부탁해

Mandarin:
- Follow the podcast at least 3 days out of the 5 (I have to arrive at work early enough to have time to spend on it)
- Read 3-4 articles from TheChairmanbao (Just read one and they are exactly what I was looking for!)
- Watch at least 2-3 episodes of The voice of China 2014

General:
- Continue doing all the memrise decks
- Catch up on at least 3 members of the East Asian Team :)
3 x

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Good to see your posts! It sounds great that you're finding the time and motivation to study regularly after work.

Yuhakko wrote:- Thai : Trying to figure out the writing system. (I bought a book in NYC as well). I spend 10min here and there when I feel like it. It's messed up :lol:

How cool that you're also dabbling in Thai now! Which book did you get and how are you finding the writing system? I thought that memorising the shapes of the letters would be difficult, but surprisingly that's not such a big deal after all. The tone rules seem far more challenging... :?

Yuhakko wrote:Korean:
- Follow the podcast at least 3 days out of the 5 (it's at 10pm so if I go out in the evening, that's a done deal)

Which podcast are you listening to?
0 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

Yuhakko
White Belt

Postby Yuhakko » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks Renate for the message and sorry for that late reply. Unfortunately things got crazy the week following my message and since then my study has been pretty close to inexistent. I did reach most of my goals for mentioned though :)

Haha yeah indeed! I just read your log and it seems you're having quite a go at it ! Much better than me I guess :p I just take my book and try to find read random words using a list of all the characters. I saw that you've used a specific website to learn the script. How was your experience with it? Would you recommend it? I was thinking of trying a more standard approach soon (the one mentioned right above is basically how I learnt hangeul :) .. but it doesn't seem as effective for Thai).

Well I say podcast because it is on the radio online, but actually it's more like lessons of 15min every day, they're all connected to a text, grammar point and small exercise. It's all in Japanese and called : レベルアップハングル (Level up Hangeul).
0 x

Return to “Language logs”