Arnaud's lazy log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
reineke
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English

Re: Arnaud's lazy log

Postby reineke » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:45 pm

What goes around comes around. I am of course referring to the dreaded dictées.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), Russian (int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Russian:
I'm reading the texts from the textbook обсуждаем глобальные проблемы and listening to the podcasts of In russian terms, to gain more vocabulary on "society subjects". I don't understand all the podcasts, it depends of the subject, so perhaps I'll buy the transcripts later. I also continue to listen to one podcast of Mayak every day. So I listen to 1 hour of russian minimum per day.
But I'm not satisfied with my level of audio understanding, it's really too low for the time invested.

I'm also "working" on the verbal aspect by reading Виды русского глагола by Караванов and the book of Forsyth: one gives rules with tons of easy exercices (no keys for the exercises but they are more or less "forced" so you don't need the keys) and the other is more a theoritical discussion on the aspect. Both are interesting, but I don't know if knowing all that is really helpful in real life when you write or talk: I've already read several other books on the subject and I'm still often at a loss when choosing the aspect of the verbs...

I've also noticed that the episodes 440 to 480 of Luntik are almost all subtitled in russian on YT (not all, but a great majority), I don't know if I've already mentioned it...
1 x

aaleks
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English (just learning)

Postby aaleks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Arnaud wrote:Russian:
I'm reading the texts from the textbook обсуждаем глобальные проблемы and listening to the podcasts of In russian terms, to gain more vocabulary on "society subjects". I don't understand all the podcasts, it depends of the subject, so perhaps I'll buy the transcripts later.

Just out of curiosity I've listened to Podcast 47 “Seven Cool Russian Expressions”. In my opinion there is only one “cool expressions” – “вынос мозга/выносить мозг”. How, for example, “нерукопожатный” got in the list I can’t really grasp. I’ve never seen or heard the phrase “ОБС пресс”, usually it is just “ОБС” (but maybe on some politic forums the phrase is used? I don’t know). The phrase about “white coat” usually is addressed to somebody who acts like s/he has a moral superiority to other presenting people. The word “г**но” isn’t so widely used in everyday life. And so on.
There is Chernomyrdin’s more well-known remark: “Хотели как лучше, а получилось как всегда” :D It could be probably said about the podcast.
0 x
Preferred pronouns: feminine.

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), Russian (int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 pm

aaleks wrote:Just out of curiosity I've listened to Podcast 47 “Seven Cool Russian Expressions”. In my opinion there is only one “cool expressions” – “вынос мозга/выносить мозг”. How, for example, “нерукопожатный” got in the list I can’t really grasp. I’ve never seen or heard the phrase “ОБС пресс”, usually it is just “ОБС” (but maybe on some politic forums the phrase is used? I don’t know). The phrase about “white coat” usually is addressed to somebody who acts like s/he has a moral superiority to other presenting people. The word “г**но” isn’t so widely used in everyday life. And so on.
There is Chernomyrdin’s more well-known remark: “Хотели как лучше, а получилось как всегда” :D It could be probably said about the podcast.
Noted, thanks. For the time being, I've been listening to the first 20 episodes only.
For "cool expressions" and teen slang there is another podcast called Очень по-русски that is certainly closer to the current language and russian reality (I've also watched a few teens-geared series to have a sampling of how the language is tortured by the youngsters). I'm listening to that podcast because it's close to my current level of understanding, it's always difficult to find something not too easy nor too difficult.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”