Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Re: Monox D. I-Fly's Japanese and Arabic Log

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri May 27, 2016 5:49 pm

Remember that former crush of mine I keep talking about? Five days ago, when we were chatting on Facebook, this conversation happened.
Me: "Hahaha... Just when I wanted to comment "You always match the language with your conversation partner during chatting, don't you", you start using Indonesian again... XD " (we use Javanese before)
Her: "That's reflexive. However if they are my friends who don't know Javanese, I do it on purpose (using Javanese) to troll them."
Me: "I remember your question during your high-school time, "Can you speak Javanese?" XD Even with someone who knows Javanese like me, sometimes you choose to reply with Kanji instead... ~_~ "
Her: "Practice."
Me: "What do you think I am currently learning Kanji for? Just in case you reply me with Kanji again... XS "
Her: "I mean I am the one who practice."
Me: "Yeah... And I am unwittingly dragged to be the victim of the practice... :/ "
Her: "It is increasing your knowledge. >.< "
Me: "Okay then, thanks... Honestly sometimes I want to "take revenge" on you by replying with Arabic, but..."
Her: "Go ahead. But whether my reply still makes sense or not is another business."
Me: "But... I am still confused how to type after right to left setting back to left to right setting... Not to mention that you may be sulking... You are scary when you are sulking... :3 "
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun May 29, 2016 2:41 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:I tried to say hello to my former crush, then this happened:

Me: "Konbanwa, boku no kirei de yasashii imouto..."
Her: "その読み方、もうやめてよ。"
Me: "gomen ne... just say hello... btw was my japanese just now correct or not?"
Her: "綺麗でじゃなくて、綺麗な だ
リカだけいいよ
普通だけよ、普通!"
Me: "am I wrong if I compliment you?"
Her: "don't you dare to call me like that again I warn you
can you just call me casually
Me: "yeah... yeah... califa...
I'm so sorry about that just now"
Her: "what did I ask for yet how did you respond....
....oh well
as long as you're not exaggreating like just now"
Me: "I know... you want to be just called "rika" don't you? well, however the first time I knew you you're using that ID... sorry, I don't know that you don't like to be called like that..."

Remember above post? Below is the continuation of the previous post.
Me: "Still cute, though... :3 "
Her: "No way, I am fat like this. My face must have gotten uglier do to the college assignment. #haaah "
Me: "It's okay to be fat... Beautiful girls who are fat are rare, you know... :3 You made me curious just what your face looks like now... We seldom meet each other, after all..."
Her: "Just like before + acne + blacker."
Me: "Beautiful girls who are black are also rare... :3 "
Her: "Well, after a long time... Actually I am glad inside that there is someone who compliments me like that."
Me: "After a long time what? Cie... Yet back then when I said that you were "kirei", you yelled at me instead... :/ "
Her: "That's why I said after a long time. I thought that I didn't deserve the word beautiful. That's the fact, thought.
Me: "Hehe... I'm sure that there are others than me who think that you are beautiful... :3 "
Her: "Yes... My sisters."
Me: "I admit that you are black and fat, and I also define beauty physically... However, the definition of beauty for me is neither body shape or skin color, but the shape of face... And if I look at your face, you are indeed beautiful... :) "
Her: "A bit ironic since my schoolmates during middle school and high school said that my face was as cynical as a step-mother's and evil mother-in-law's. There was even someone who said that my face looked pervert... What did it mean. @_@ "
Me: "Sorry in advance, to be honest when you were a middle school I also thought that your face was scary (we had met each other 2 times during that period)... However, like what I said in the seafood restaurant back then, the first time I saw you veiled when you were in 11th grade I was a bit charmed, hehe..."
Her: "Giving the "Don't get close to me, don't speak to me, stay away from me." aura."
Me: "Well, if I may be honest... If I may be honest, actually when you went to the laptop service back then before we went to Tomodachi I was surprised to see you smile... At the time I thought, "This girl can smile... And... so cute..." ."
Her: "Maybe you were just surprised... Wkwkwkwk..."
Me: "I said so... That's why in Tomodachi I said, "I have known you for 6 years and this is the first time I see you smile..."."
Her: "It was indeed seldom when we met face to face, but in chat didn't I often smile... Or laugh?"
Me: "However I didn't know your true expression... And you have said that you like using XD emoticon in chat because other people don't know what's your true expression in the real world..."
Her: "Face everything with XD and :v for chat. Oh, don't forget T.T ."
Me: "Ah, dat viral emoticon... Which is now being connotated with meme newbie... :/ T.T is actually a crying face but people who don't know might think it's an abbreviation..."
Her: "I don't use it anymore... The emoticons are automatic now. Do you often visit Ttumblr?"
Me: "Automatic? Now I am curious whether is your mobile phone really old-type or not. :o No... I prefer forum..."
Her: "There is a Facebook page named The Best of Tumblr, quite enough to do face gymnastics. It's still old-type, not new-type yet..."
Me: " "Face gymnastics"? What do you mean? You said old-type but back then you said that changing the Japanese typesetting to Latin was complicated so you didn't want to do that, could old-type mobile phones even do that? :o "
Her: "Just see the images there. Mireba wakaru. I did that via laptop."
Me: "I don't know much about tumblr. Heck, I don't even know how to pronounce it. Is it "Tumbler"? Sounds like "umbel"... :v "
Her: "That's why just see the page. Tumblr is a blog"
Me: "I've ever tried, and my modem couldn't keep up... T_T "
Her: "Most of them are images... Though the images only consisted of texts."
Me: "That's why my modem couldn't keep up..."
Her: "Try other times when you were in an internet cafe or places."
Me: "Okay beautiful girl... (Hope this time you don't get mad I call you like this) "
Her: "After the long (?) explanation just now... No way I get mad."
Me: "Just in case... :/ May I call you like that? "No way I get mad" is ambigous, does it mean "I won't get mad" or "No way, I get mad"?
Her: "Did you see a comma there?"
Me: "No, does that mean I may? :D "
Her: "Yes."
Me: "Hehe, okay beautiful girl... :3 "
Her: "I need to fix my proposal now, I have a class at 07.00 A.M. tomorrow."
Me: "Okay...!!! :D Keep spirit... If you meet any difficulty just contact me, I might be able to help... :) "
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun May 29, 2016 5:45 pm

And... This is our chat the next day.
Me: "Good Friday night, beautiful girl... :) "
Her: "I am curious... Is there something with you and Friday night?"
Me: "Why do you ask?"
Her: "Well, you often greet me in Friday night."
Me: "Nah, it's just to make it feel different..."
Her: "Oh, signature."
Me: "Yup... By the way, I have opened the Tumblr web today..."
Her: "Not Tumblr's web. Then how was your impression?"
Me: "Oh right... After I reread our chat last night, turned out that I misinterpreted it... XS About the web, it was indeed funny, but because even the internet cafe couldn't load it well so I closed it... After all, when I am in an internet cafe I'm more focused to 2 sites other than Facebook..."
Her: "YouTube and Twitter?"
Me: "YouTube and Animelyrics... I search a song which I know in Animelyrics, read the Kanji, then play the song on YouTube while trying to sing and match the Kanji, quite effective to memorize Kanji..."
Her: " *thumbs-up sticker* If I, I download Minilyrics in Winamp so that I can sing along."
Me: "Winamp is too heavy for my computer... :3 "
Her: "You can use the others, just try."
Me: "Still enjoying using Animelyrics, Sis... Hehe, today in the internet cafe I just knew that the Kanji for uta (song) and uta (sing) were different..."
Her: "What are they?"
Me: "Uta (song), is present in grade 2, and uta (song) with the Kanji "shellfish mouth". 歌 and 唄."
Her: "Actually, there are still others. However, the one used for verb is 歌, while 唄 is used for noun noun like 子守唄 (komoriuta) (the song to sleep). 唄 can also be used for old songs."
Me: "Gosh... Today I also saw the Kanji in the One Piece song "We Are" in the "sagashi mono sagashi ni yuku no sa" part, both the words "sagashi" had different Kanjis, and when I hovered to see the Kanji's meaning, both meant "search"... >.< Huh? Isn't it vice-versa?"
Her: "No, here usually use 歌. Don't think too much about song lyrics... Even we encounter wrong grammar in the English ones."
Me: "I thought so because in the lyrics of "One Piece" song "Memories" the writing for "uta wo utatte" was 歌を唄って. You are right... Sometimes I am confused as to why the simpler Kanjis are written with Hiragana, spending so much space, even though the same song also features higher level Kanji..."
Her: "That's why don't think about song lyrics too much, memorizing the Kanjis which are often used in daily life is more important. There is a Kanji for "eien" which is read as "towa"."
Me: "Right... I remember when you wrote "hanashi" and I thought it was "koto", led us to misunderstanding... The first time I saw the Kanji for "eien", I thought "far ice?"
Her: "That's not even the Kanji for ice. See the stroke."
Me: "Right, there is a small stroke above it, but at the time I didn't understand... When I hovered it, turned out that the meaning was "eternal"..."
Her: "The meaning is eternal."
Me: "By the way Sis Cal, do you know a site who has the list of old Kanjis? I have Googled it didn't get satisfying result."
Her: "Why don't you learn Mandarin? Normally people learn to walk before run. http://­www.sljfaq.org/afaq/­new-old-kanji.html ."
Me: "If that is your analogy, we must learn Hebrew before Arabic... >.< Iiiiii...... Thank you Sis Cal... :D "
Her: "I talk as someone who lives in the current era and need something for the present. Not like Hebrew which can only be used to talk with people who have passed away or historian, etc. Maybe you are just curious, that's what I thought."
Me: "Oi, Hebrew is still used in Israel... >.< "
Her: "Good for them. Well, just see the Kanjis in the link I gave you."
Me: "Thank you very much... You are really my nice sister, hehe... :3 "
Her: "Yeah. I am going offline, sleeping."
Me: "Okay, good morning my beautiful sister... :) "
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon May 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Finally, managed to read all the Kanji in an anime ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPjIMBxjOfQ
(It is the second ending song of Azuki-chan)

Trying to translate it, can anybody help me to fill in the blanks?

Nani ka ii koto ga (What is okay?)
Hajimari sou da yo (Let's begin)
Anna ni kyou mo sora ga (... today's sky is)
Aoku mieru kara (blue from my sight)
Saa arukou yume wa itsumo (Let's take a step, dream is ...)
Saki de matteru (I am waiting for you in the front)
Saa arukou genki dashite (Let's take a step, take out your spirit)
Doko mademo tsudzuiteru michi (Where does the road continue?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
0 x

Sizen
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: French, Japanese
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: Korean, Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18968

Postby Sizen » Tue May 31, 2016 3:51 am

A common misconception in translating Japanese lyrics is that each line is self-contained. This is often not the case. My advice is to always look for the verbs in each verse and to find all the words that could relate to it: subjects, objects, complements, etc. From there, you should be able to find the real meaning of each line.

I'm going to break down the song into related parts.
Nani ka ii koto ga hajimarisou da yo

Here "ii koto" is the subject of "hajimarisou" (don't confuse with "hajimeyou"="let's begin"). "Sou" is an auxiliary used to describe a likely outcome. Literal translation: "It seems like something good will start." Idiomatic translation: "I have a good feeling about today / I get the feeling something good's going to happen [today]."
Anna ni kyou no sora ga aoku mieru kara

"Kyou no sora" is the subject of "mieru". When combined with an a noun followed by "ni" or an adverb, "mieru" takes on the meaning of "to look (like) ~" or "to seem ~". Literal translation: "Because today's sky looks that blue." Idiomatic translation: "Because the sky is so blue today." (This line is an explanation of the last one. Why do you have a good feeling about today? Because the sky is so blue.)
Saa arukou / yume wa itsumo saki de matteru

"Yume" is the subject of "matteru". Literal translation: "Let's walk. Dreams are always waiting ahead." Idiomatic translation: "Let's go for a walk. Dreams are never that far from coming true." (Taking the occasional creative liberty is okay.)
Saa arukou / genki dashite / doko mademo tsudzuiteru michi

Here, I think it's safe to assume that the sentence is intended to be understood as "dokomademo tsuduiteru michi wo arukou". Literal translation: "Let's walk. Cheer up. A path that continues until anywhere." Idiomatic translation: "Let's go for a walk. Cheer up. This path'll take us anywhere."

I don't consider myself to be very good at translating, but I hope this helps you.
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue May 31, 2016 11:40 pm

Sizen wrote:A common misconception in translating Japanese lyrics is that each line is self-contained. This is often not the case. My advice is to always look for the verbs in each verse and to find all the words that could relate to it: subjects, objects, complements, etc. From there, you should be able to find the real meaning of each line.

I'm going to break down the song into related parts.
Nani ka ii koto ga hajimarisou da yo

Here "ii koto" is the subject of "hajimarisou" (don't confuse with "hajimeyou"="let's begin"). "Sou" is an auxiliary used to describe a likely outcome. Literal translation: "It seems like something good will start." Idiomatic translation: "I have a good feeling about today / I get the feeling something good's going to happen [today]."
Saa arukou / yume wa itsumo saki de matteru

"Yume" is the subject of "matteru". Literal translation: "Let's walk. Dreams are always waiting ahead." Idiomatic translation: "Let's go for a walk. Dreams are never that far from coming true." (Taking the occasional creative liberty is okay.)

Yeah, my former crush I keep talking about also said the same thing, down to the translation.

Sizen wrote:
Anna ni kyou no sora ga aoku mieru kara

"Kyou no sora" is the subject of "mieru". When combined with an a noun followed by "ni" or an adverb, "mieru" takes on the meaning of "to look (like) ~" or "to seem ~". Literal translation: "Because today's sky looks that blue." Idiomatic translation: "Because the sky is so blue today." (This line is an explanation of the last one. Why do you have a good feeling about today? Because the sky is so blue.)

What does "Anna" mean, anyway?
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:53 pm

Learnt the Kanji from 光 (hikari = light) to 市 (ichi = city) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 8 days (2 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Arabic word for "think" is فكر (fakaro), whose tri-base letters are f-k-r. In Indonesian language, it was absorbed to p-k-r (ancient Indonesian people had difficulties in pronouncing the letter f) and eventually changed to "pikir".
The Arabic word for "valley" is وادي (waadii). I imagine a country located in a valley. That country is named Wadiya (The Dictator, anyone?)
The Kanji for "country" is 国. Everytime I see a Kanji which consists of something in 口, I don't think 口 as "mouth". Instead, I think of 口 as "area". Thus, a country is an area full of gems (玉).
The Arabic word for "black" is أسود (aswad), which somewhat similar to its German counterpart (Schwarz).
The Kanji for "thin" is 細 which consists of the Kanji 糸 (ito = thread) and 田 (da = ricefield). Even though there are enough threads to cover a ricefield, the threads are still thin.
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Learnt the Kanji from 矢 (ya = arrow) to 少 (suku = few) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 8 days (2 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Kanji for "arrow" is 矢. It does look like a feather on the back of an arrow.
The Kanji for "older sister" is 姉 which consists of the Kanji 女 (onna = woman) and 市 (shi = city). Imagine your older sister has gotten married and now lives happily in a city.
The Kanji for "think" is 思 which consists of the Kanji 田 (da = ricefield) and 心 (kokoro = heart). We must widen our heart as wide as ricefield to think better.
The Arabic word for "temple" is معبد (ma'bud). Looking at the mXYZ pattern, the basic word is عبد which means "worship". So, معبد means "place to worship".
The Kanji for "time" is 時 which consists of the Kanji 日 (nichi = sun) and 寺 (ji = temple). At first it didn't make sense, but I remembered the Avatar temple in Avatar: The Last Airbender which could show winter solstice. Its Arabic meaning "وقت" has been absorbed in Indonesian as "waktu".
The Arabic word for "company" is الشركة (asy-syarikah). It has been absorbed in Indonesian as "serikat".
The Kanji for "weak" is 弱. It looks like two identical characters which each was the result of combining the Kanji 弓 (yumi = bow) and 羽 (hane = feather). Yeah, a bird whose both wings (which have many feathers) stabbed by arrows (which have been released from a bow) is definitely going weaker.
The Kanji for "few" is 少. It looks like the Kanji 小 (little) with an extra stroke. That makes sense, especially since in English "a few" and "a little" mean the same thing.
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:44 pm

Learnt the Kanji from 場 (ba = place) to 線 (sen = line) as well as their Arabic meaning in the span of 8 days (2 Kanjis per day). Let's take notes about the interesting ones:
The Kanji for "heart" is 心, which looks like the Katakana for "ba" (バ). Its Arabic word is قلب, which my peers when I was a child thought it was كلب which means "dog". The equivalent word for "dog" here itself is a curse word.
The Kanji for "parent" is 親 which consists of the Kanji 立 (ta = stand), 木 (ki = tree), and 見 (mi = see). However, I guess the combination of 立 and 木 on the left (standing on a tree) is a pictogram of a human instead. Thus, 親 means "human who is watching us".
The Arabic word for "west" is غرب, which is the base word for مغرب, a time of an Islamic prayer which is done during the sunset. The sun sets in the west.
The Kanji for "star" is 星 which consists of the Kanji 日 (nichi = sun) and 生 (u = born). The sun is a star, so a star might be a sun in other galaxies. Thus, star = raising sun.
The Kanji for "fine weather" is 晴 which consists of the Kanji 日 (nichi = sun) and 青 (ao = blue). The first time I saw the Kanji, I thought "What the hell is a blue sun? Does it mean a star?". Turned out it means shiny day on the blue sky.
The Arabic word for "snow" is ثلج (tsalji). It was absorbed in Indonesian as "salju", though it gets me wondering because there is never any snow in Indonesia (and I think Arab shouldn't have either).
The Kanji for "line" is 線 which consists of the Kanji 糸 (ito = thread), 白 (shiro = white), and 水 (mizu = water). The first time I saw the Kanji, I thought it means "web" because I have seen a spider shot its white liquid which turned to a thread.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:48 am

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:The Arabic word for "snow" is ثلج (tsalji). It was absorbed in Indonesian as "salju", though it gets me wondering because there is never any snow in Indonesia (and I think Arab shouldn't have either).

image.jpeg

I think you have forgotten about Puncak Jaya! It makes sense that Indonesia would need a loan word for snow. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”