Островная крепость Хммм

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C1?), Spanish (~B1)

Re: Островная крепость Хммм

Postby whatiftheblog » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:01 am

I generally find classical Russian literature to be incredibly boring (hashtag bad Russian), but there's a lot of outstanding 20th century work. If you're bored by Tolstoy, which I absolutely do not blame you for, try Nabokov, Bunin, or Pasternak if you haven't yet. Nabokov is especially good to work with - he wrote Lolita in English, then translated it into Russian himself, so there's your "parallel" text :-)
2 x
Hours of actually speaking: 21 / 120 21 / 120
Words written for Output Challenge: 6000 / 50000 6,000 / 50,000

Xmmm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (intermediate), Italian (beginner)

Postby Xmmm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 am

Russian (Start: 1 September 2015)

Семнадцать мгновений весны -- Giving up on this Soviet show for now. It is really slow.
I was zoning out during episode #3 but I think literally nothing happened.

Красная Королева (#2) -- This show has a great historical feel to it and some good writing.
The lead actress is also playing her character with a disturbing, barely submerged volatility.
I keep hoping there aren't any knives around when she gets upset ...

Чистая проба (#2) -- This show about crooked cops and gold mines in Siberia continues.
The cops are portrayed very humanistically. They are not monsters, just losers who've stumbled into positions of
(not very much) power. They have just enough power to ruin the lives of the protagonists, and that's it.
The weakest thing about this show is the lead actor. He is a total cardboard cutout.

Ласточкино гнездо (#1) -- This show might be too intense for me. It's a Russian cinderella story
probably minus the happy ending and they're really trying to beat the audience into submission.

: 910 / 1760 Projected Hours to S3
: 15601 / 50000 Words Known
: 1571885 / 5000000 Words Read
: 6 / 36 Modern Russian
: 61 / 300 Glossika
: 10 / 395 RussianPod
: 12 / 100 Learn Russian RT

Italian (Start: 15 December 2016)

Il commissario Nardone (#2). Wonderful historical flair, and the crimes are gritty, stupid crimes
like in real life, not "he was poisoned by the museum anthropologist, who of course used curare", etc.
I mean, the crime in episode #2 is just some bankrobbers who rob banks using stolen cars. By itself the crime is nothing. What's
interesting is Nardone's brainy girlfriend, and his efforts to recruit an expert driver who happens to be an ex-Fascist onto his
crime supersquad. I now prefer this show to Montalbano, which is somewhat bland and artificial by comparison.

: 74 / 960 Projected Hours to S3
: 6345 / 50000 Words Known
: 165834 / 2500000 Words Read
: 38 / 45 Language Transfer
2 x

Xmmm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (intermediate), Italian (beginner)

Postby Xmmm » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:33 am

Xmmm wrote:Чистая проба (#2) -- This show about crooked cops and gold mines in Siberia continues.
The cops are portrayed very humanistically. They are not monsters, just losers who've stumbled into positions of
(not very much) power. They have just enough power to ruin the lives of the protagonists, and that's it.
The weakest thing about this show is the lead actor. He is a total cardboard cutout.

Okay, I have now watched all eight episodes of this show and I was wrong about it. This show is terrific! As the show progresses, I feel like the actors are actually competing with each other to see who can go more over the top with their performances. It's glorious.

Alexei Makarov (playing Vadim) is my personal favorite, and it was his performance in episode one that kept me from giving up on the show ... but there are great performances across the board.

If you want to watch a classy, high quality drama ... you want Leningrad 46. But if you just want to be entertained, Чистая проба is the show for you. No spoilers from me!

taiga.jpg
taiga.jpg (7.28 KiB) Viewed 28 times

Another bad day in the taiga for our heroes

major.jpg
major.jpg (3.96 KiB) Viewed 28 times

And another bad day at the office for "Sheriff" Vadim!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”