ロータスの日本語 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Re: Rotasu's 日本語 Log

Postby Rotasu » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:44 am

10月04日 - 10月10日
Pimsleur I:7 → 11
Japanesepod101:Newbie S3 → S4
Assimil I: 4 → 6

URGH!!! This was such a bad week for me. Spent most of the time worrying about if I was using the right note taking method for me.

I keep thinking about how in my other classes, if I can find a outline(online document) for the chapter, I just use that and take notes on the margin (I have a tablet that I use) during class. Then before the test, I just read over the outline and I usually get a B on the test.

And yet, I see on Instagram and on here how everyone handwrites their notes and they seem to retain their language easier x.x It makes me think, "Wow, maybe I should start doing (random method) because it seem to work for them." Even though I know everyone learns different, I keep seeing all these methods and just wishing I could just pick one and it automatically work for me. Sigh...

This is how it goes in my head:
Maybe I should hand write the Assimil dialogues ->
But your kanjis are ugly -> Which means I could write them today/review the dialogue later and not recognised the word when reading something else
Then I should type the dialogues ->
But no one types their language notes. Look at this instagram post, look at her pretty notebook, it's so organized

I know I'm suppose to focus on me, it just really hard to not want to be on the bandwagon :(

In other news, http://a2.marugotoweb.jp/en/listening/ looks like an intresesting site. I get the feel that it's kind of like Erin's Challenge.
0 x
Gone

Adam
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Mandarin Chinese (have been trying to learn for a long time)
French (a bit)
Japanese (a little bit)
Other languages - learning the scripts of Arabic, Hebrew, Tamil, Burmese, Korean, Hindi; have dabbled in Spanish, Russian, and Ancient Greek.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1449

Postby Adam » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:37 am

Rotasu wrote:Take for example 図書館.

Interesting Japanese word this. It's almost exactly the same as the Chinese, and, while there are very many old borrowings of single 汉字 into Japanese, along with their "ON" readings, 図書館 looks like a rare example of a multi-字 Chinese word being borrowed. I suspect it is a recent borrowing, but don't have any evidence for this.

The Japanese word for "library card" is 図書館カド, which is half Chinese and half English.
0 x
(The user formerly known as Adamdm or AdamDM2 on HTLAL)

pichael

Postby pichael » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:53 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:13 pm

10月11日 - 10月17日
Pimsleur I:11 → 14
Japanesepod101:Newbie S3 → S4
Assimil I: 6 → 8
Mcha-easy: 0 → 3

This week I mostly reviewed Assimil and tried to get back into using Pimsleur everyday. I'm also trying to read a Mcha-easy article a day.

FATE/STAY NIGHT UBW SPOILERS!!!
I got around to watching Fate/Stay Night UBW. It was ok. Still hate Shiro and love Archer! Every time they started talking about Archer, I started to cry, which really rarely happens when I watch anime/dramas. I also hate when shows make the villain monologue instead of just killing the hero while they're down >_< or while they are chanting a very long attack! Gil would have won if he just killed Shiro instead of just playing with him in the beginning. This only reminded myself why I stopped watching TV, even when the villains right, some stupid thing happens and the hero wins. There needs to be more shows where the Villain actually wins and there is no sequel that leads to the heroes actually winning x.x
I don't really understand this idea of "Let's make every movie/show have a happy ending where the hero wins. The people will love it because the journey to the ending will be slightly different than other movies/shows with many of the same cliches!!!"

Next week, I hope to be able to do 1 Assimil, 1 Pimsleur and 1 article a day. Maybe not on the weekends because of work and the class work due.
0 x
Gone

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:33 pm

10月18日 - 10月24日
Assimil I: 8 → 11

Changing again. Will post next week if I keep with it xD

Trying to keep the mindset of working on just passive right now and later, moving on to work on active vocabulary.

Tree of Savior iCBT2 starts the 27th so might not get much studying done xP
0 x
Gone

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:19 am

11月08日 - 11月14日
Minna no Nihongo I: 0 → 8
Listening:2:18

I found out that I get my motivation from posting what I do everyday on Instagram. I keeping track of my daily Japanese streak so heres to hoping I dont break it. No matter how small, as long as I do something with the Japanese language, it counts.

I'm surprised with how much I'm enjoying Minna no Nihongo. For each chapter, I learn the grammar points and then go through the chapter's text to write down the new vocabulary. I try to read every sentence so I can really learn the grammar points. I do have a problem on knowing which words I actually know. Because the textbook has furigana over every kanji, it's hard not to look right at them as I read. So when I come to a word I'm familiar with, I feel like I'm only recognizing the reading and not the kanjis of the word. :( I just tell myself that I need to push through books 1 and 2 and then worry more about the kanjis.

Listening is mostly still passive. I mostly just listen to youtube videos while doing homework. I just started a new JP drama called Painless: The Eyes for Signs. I enjoyed the first episode so I can't wait to watch all 10. I started tracking my listening on Friday so it is really low this week. Next week, I'll try to listen to at least 5 hours of Japanese.
0 x
Gone

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:41 am

12月14日
Assimil I: 0 → 5
Listening: 0

Classes over and ready to focus back on Japanese. Month later and I again I changed books x.x Back to Assimil. Hope to at least finish Book I before the semester starts again. I also want to take JCAT maybe at the beginning of January.
0 x
Gone

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:09 pm

TAC 2016

Yea work made sure I would be too tired to do much of anything the second I got home.

I really wanted to post in that "Learning languages vs. depression" topic but since I have had this mental state for almost all my life, I don't think I can call it depression xD. It was really nice to see so many people reach high levels in their language while depressed. Gives me hope that I can reach my dream of getting to Japan :3 I saw on there that someone tries to do short periods of studying each day. I also follow someone on wordpress that does the same thing but was hesitant to do the same because I saw 5 minutes of studying not really achieving much :s For 2016, I'm going to try and stop focusing on time and focus on just numbers.

I would like to just read and listen to Japanese on my downtime instead of doing those things in English. Right now, most of my time is spent reading fanfiction, watching youtube and playing GBF. GBF would help with my listening if only I didn't skip the story xD I bought the app Keep Track Pro and hope to keep track of how many dialogs and videos I read/watch in Japanese.

I'm starting my last semester at a technology college before going to a university on Jan 11. I should have a lot of free time because I only have one class Mon-Thru. Here hoping for all B's to keep my nice scholarship :D

I'm glad more people are starting Japanese on this site other than me xD I think I'm subscribed to all JP learners now. I wish I had to courage to write on their logs even the smallest of post but I always don't :s Steyyan's log is my favorite just for the fact he/she is living my dream of just reading and listening JP and not studying anymore xD Dampingwire's log was also inspiring on the old forum site.

Would this be called a 'wall of text'? xP
Last edited by Rotasu on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Gone

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:15 pm

TAC 2016 Goals
  • Finish JP Assimil 1? : 18 / 49
  • Finish JP Assimil 2
  • Read JP101 Newbie S2 Done 1/1
  • Read JP101 Newbie S3 Done 1/9
  • Read JP101 Newbie S4 Done 2/12
  • Read JP101 Newbie S5
  • Finish Novice Korean I Dropped
  • Finish Duolingo FR

Will add on as I go :3

Who I Stalk
Senpais

Classmates
Last edited by Rotasu on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
0 x
Gone

Rotasu
Orange Belt
日本語 (A1)

Postby Rotasu » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Last Week of 2015 (should have posted this yesterday)

The new year brought a lot of new language logs to this site, so I've been quick to subscribe to anymore learning Japanese. I even posted on one of the new logs a question (//_//) I'm happy dampingwire is finally on this site but it seems its only a TAC log and not his real weekly log Dx

While my reading is good, I'm starting to worry about my listening comprehension. The different between active and passive listening makes it hard for me to focus on which on to do more. Right now, I'm thinking about picking up Pimsleur again so I can use that has my active listening. For passive, I would listen to past Japanesepod101's dialogues I've read and past Assimil dialogues while driving to work though that is only about 30 minutes in total back and forth. I try to watch some YouTube video, mostly Let's Plays and cute Japanese guys talking fast xP. -Sigh- My listening comprehension is low because of lack of vocabulary and I also lack the will to memorize/review vocabulary daily. :(

Finish reading Newbie S2 so on to S3. I cant decide if I should use FLTR while I read or just look up the words I dont know and move on. I was using FLTR but once I opened the file with all my saved vocabulary, it got wiped then next time I tried to study x.x Didn't really feel like adding all those words again so I just opened my S2 file in Word and added comments to the words I didn't know.

A Japanese person asked to do language exchanged on one my Instagram picture but I said no. Classes are starting soon and I just wont have the time to chat to them during my morning class or at night. I've used HelloTalk and the 13 hour difference was really a pain xD Hopefully when I finish Assimil 2, I can look for someone studying abroad in NY.
0 x
Gone

Return to “Language logs”