Kraemder's attempt at JLPT N1 (Japanese)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
kraemder
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (JLPT N2)
German (read several books)
Spanish (read a couple books)
Korean (studying for about a year semi seriously)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1204

Re: Kraemder's attempt at JLPT N2 (Japanese)

Postby kraemder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:22 am

cathrynm wrote:It's interesting, I've spent serious hours on Anki vocab cards in the past, but I've been off of that the last few years or so. Maybe I need to go back there. That's where your score is way ahead of mine, and some of these I just hadn't seen. I've kind of been putting my 'single word vocab' time into Finnish I'm afraid, so it that's been a distraction.

Yeah, Anki is a love hate thing with me. I wanted to quit Anki and did for a bit but then went back to it. But I find on my own I'm not so good at spacing things out over time. I can cram really hard but when it's time to increase the intervals to over a week... I forget to do it.
0 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:27 am

gsbod wrote:Congratulations! I thought you'd make it this time :D

Now just don't do what I did and stop studying after N2...

Thanks GBod. It's nice seeing a familiar face from way back. I didn't mean to but I -did- stop studying anything grammar related after the test until just 2 days ago. Now I'm back on track though. I really don't want my Japanese to get worse, ever. Even if it's strange grammar that I don't need normally.
0 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:30 am

dampingwire wrote:Well done!

(I'm going to have to sit N2 this year now :-))

Thanks. I've faith in you. Good luck with N2!
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:32 am

kraemder wrote:Yeah, Anki is a love hate thing with me. I wanted to quit Anki and did for a bit but then went back to it. But I find on my own I'm not so good at spacing things out over time. I can cram really hard but when it's time to increase the intervals to over a week... I forget to do it.

I am exactly the same, basically. I find the 'measurable progress' thing oddly addictive. And I'll grind on Anki, but then it has a weird way of taking over all my study time and months pass and all I've done is look at flash cards.

Now, my latest mania is ClozeMaster for Finnish. They have Japanese, but I feel like it's not quite hard enough for me.
0 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:55 am

cathrynm wrote:
kraemder wrote:Yeah, Anki is a love hate thing with me. I wanted to quit Anki and did for a bit but then went back to it. But I find on my own I'm not so good at spacing things out over time. I can cram really hard but when it's time to increase the intervals to over a week... I forget to do it.

I am exactly the same, basically. I find the 'measurable progress' thing oddly addictive. And I'll grind on Anki, but then it has a weird way of taking over all my study time and months pass and all I've done is look at flash cards.

Now, my latest mania is ClozeMaster for Finnish. They have Japanese, but I feel like it's not quite hard enough for me.

Clozemaster looks fun. I just did the 10,000 level Japanese and got the last one wrong :(. You can adjust the settings to make it harder but I see what you mean that Japanese doesn't feel hard enough. It's ok but while it said it's testing 10,000, it seems like it's testing everything in that range so that you're getting a mix of stupid easy and stuff more to your level. And I don't know where they're getting their sentences. If it's from the same resource that is public domain and used by all the dictionary apps, it's not really edited and I wonder if some of those sentences were written by Google Translate. That said, if I'm doing a language where I'm less advanced, and I'm pretty casual about my studying (not studying for JLPT for sure) then that site looks like a good time sink.

*edit*

stupid Spanish. I just did the 10,000 level difficulty and got a perfect 10/10 on Closemaster. I don't even study Spanish. (This makes me think I need to quit Japanese.) I sent them feedback saying it's too easy if all of the possible answers are different parts of speech... it's too obvious from the sentence which part of speech you need. I doubt they'll change anything though.
0 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:45 pm

I (might) try posting here more often again. I just glanced at my old log on the old site (since I linked it for someone) and it's so weird reading what I wrote then. Man I was so young! Ouch! haha.

April 24 2011 at 5:47pm

Well I'm sitting down trying to memorize the greetings and some simple phrases. It's hard! I haven't had to start from scratch on a language in a very long time. I think maybe since high school. I didn't really learn a language when I was in high school but I at least was exposed to it and learned stuff like the sounds, pronouns, numbers and a few other basics (over the course of several years!).

So I'm working on lesson 1 and I'm currently attempting to memorize the greetings - Hello, Good Morning, Good afternoon, Good evening, good night, how are you, nice to meet you... a few other misc ones.

I already forgot how to say I in Japanese from yesterday =/. Watashi. Ugh.

I'm thinking I could do a system of watching an hour of Anime and then studying for like half an hour. This is very much up in the air. I've got 15 more minutes till I'm allowed to watch cartoons again though heh.

I'm sure many people saw how I already forgot how to say Watashi and thought... yeah.. this guy is done. He's not going to learn hiragana nevermind grammar!

It's interesting how I'm basically doing the same system now as I was then - watch anime for a bit and then study for a bit. Well, I've finally started incorporating pleasure reading into this routine but sometimes reading is still work and not so pleasurable.
2 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Yeah me too. I've been posting here or on the old HTLAL site since 2008 or so. Not quite where I want to be with either language, but just the sheer span of time is a thing.
0 x

tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby tuckamore » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:29 pm

kraemder wrote:I (might) try posting here more often again. I just glanced at my old log on the old site (since I linked it for someone) and it's so weird reading what I wrote then. Man I was so young! Ouch! haha.

Well I'm sitting down trying to memorize the greetings and some simple phrases. It's hard! I haven't had to start from scratch on a language in a very long time. I think maybe since high school. I didn't really learn a language when I was in high school but I at least was exposed to it and learned stuff like the sounds, pronouns, numbers and a few other basics (over the course of several years!).

So I'm working on lesson 1 and I'm currently attempting to memorize the greetings - Hello, Good Morning, Good afternoon, Good evening, good night, how are you, nice to meet you... a few other misc ones.

I'm thinking I could do a system of watching an hour of Anime and then studying for like half an hour. This is very much up in the air. I've got 15 more minutes till I'm allowed to watch cartoons again though heh.

I'm sure many people saw how I already forgot how to say Watashi and thought... yeah.. this guy is done. He's not going to learn hiragana nevermind grammar!

It's interesting how I'm basically doing the same system now as I was then - watch anime for a bit and then study for a bit. Well, I've finally started incorporating pleasure reading into this routine but sometimes reading is still work and not so pleasurable.

Wow! This is one of the most encouraging langague-learning stories I've ever read. From completely alien to N2. Reminds me of how far I've come, too. I don't remember having a problem with watashi, but you've reminded me that arigatou gozaimasu and ohayou gozaimasu were nightmares. Congratulations on passing N2!
0 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:01 am

One thing nice about this language log is that I don't think anyone from my sharehouse knows about its existence and even if they did, the chances of them reading it are slim to none. Reading English is a challenge so the quantity of posts will overwhelm them fast.

So I can talk a bit freely here about the people I meet if I want to I think. I'm in an international sharehouse in the Tokyo area. It's in Tokyo but people that come out to visit seem surprised. It's 40 minutes away from Shinjuku by express train so we're not talking walking distance by any means. Anyway, in an international sharehouse you get a lot of types of Japanese living here. It's advertised as a great way to learn English because you can speak to the foreigners etc. There's definitely a lot of professionals who see that and decide to live here for that reason, although they often don't speak much English before they move in, and you really can't learn a language just making small talk to people so they generally don't get much better unless they study super hard and only a couple do. And then you get people who may want to learn English but more than that they want a foreign girlfriend/boyfriend.

So currently there's a couple of girls in the latter category in the sharehouse. Well probably more than that. But two are really obvious about it. One is a twenty one year old 'show dance girl' from ropungi, an area in Tokyo notorious for having nightclubs where Japanese girls go to pick up foreign guys. She posted some pictures of on the house facebook of her at work and her outfits are really <ahem> nice XD.

Another girl is the older sister of a guy who used to live here. He's was a super diligent student who graduated and I think has some sort of IT job in Vietnam or something now. I kind of figured but the western girls in the sharehouse confirmed it for me, he's really good looking. His sister is nice looking too and tall for a Japanese. She's kind of his opposite though in terms of personality. Smokes, drinks, didn't go to college, and doesn't seem so responsible. At least that was my impression when I talked to her at a party and found out that she has a Japanese boyfriend but she was so obviously trying to pick up western guys. She was just visiting then but she moved into the sharehouse this fall and I've gotten to know her since. She's a super nice friendly outgoing person. What gets me is that she seems quite ethical in general and yet she clearly doesn't see anything wrong with cheating on her boyfriend... this kind of blows my mind. If I hooked up with her, and then her boyfriend came to visit (he lives in their hometown which is about 4 hours away), I think I would feel way more guilty than she would.

Anyway, I haven't made much progress getting a Japanese girlfriend. I don't know how much it would really help my Japanese to be honest. They say it's a great way but I think you have to live with the person. I'm seeing a girl I met through Tinder (it's more of a dating app than a hookup app in Japan I think) but it's more like we're just friends I think. Text messages and seeing someone once every two weeks helps your language a little but it's not huge. She's nice in that although she want to learn English and maybe even get a job as a translator she's happy speaking Japanese or English. There's no what language do we speak fight going on like I get with a lot of Japanese people who are studying English. It can get awkward. I think I hurt one girls feelings in the sharehouse without meaning to. She was upset and thought her English was horrible because I looked disappointed every time she spoke English to me instead of Japanese. That made me feel bad because I know she tries so hard to learn English and she's a super thoughtful, generous person.
3 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Japanese (JLPT N2)

Postby kraemder » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:35 am

tuckamore wrote:
kraemder wrote:I (might) try posting here more often again. I just glanced at my old log on the old site (since I linked it for someone) and it's so weird reading what I wrote then. Man I was so young! Ouch! haha.

Wow! This is one of the most encouraging langague-learning stories I've ever read. From completely alien to N2. Reminds me of how far I've come, too. I don't remember having a problem with watashi, but you've reminded me that arigatou gozaimasu and ohayou gozaimasu were nightmares. Congratulations on passing N2!

yeah, I didn't watch any Japanese anime or anything growing up. It wasn't until my mid 30's that I took any interest at all in the language. So even watashi was brand new to me. I'm sure I got it to stick within a week or so... probably hahah. But day 2 and I had already forgotten how to say I in Japanese.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”