阿波's Endeavour (中文,台語)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
Languages: PL (rusting Native)
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
日本語 (Beginner, not studying)
台語 (Dabbling)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1164

Re: Ezy Ryder's Endeavour (中文,台語)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Things have been going rather well, actually. My academic performance has really got a lot better this time around; IIRC there are only two subjects left, for which I'm not sure what grade I'll be getting, but even in the (hopefully) unlikely scenario I end up failing either or both of them, it should still be possible for me to proceed to the second term while retaking those exams. So, I'll do my best... or at least "adequate", and hope to pass both. Oh, and there's at least one other student in my class who seems truly determined to actually learn Mandarin (and they even seem fine with talking in English between the classes, so I don't have to bother with my lacks in Polish vocab and its annoying voiceless consonant clusters!).

My handwriting has also been getting better (as in, my characters are beginning to look better). I'll often procrastinate by watching some videos on 硬筆書法 (non-brush calligraphy); hey, the videos are in Mandarin, right? Let's just put it under language practice ;) I find it quite interesting, actually. Learning about the different "variants" of the "basic" strokes, and when to use which; the rhythms of all strokes; the proportions of a character's components... I even decided to use a sample of my handwriting as the channel art on my YouTube channel.

中文: Hit a bit of a "furlong-stone" with handwriting characters: yesterday I got back to 2,500 漢字. There was at least one time recently I couldn't remember a character (秤 in that case) when seeing it written, despite having re-learnt it like a few weeks back; but otherwise I've already noticed some progress since I got back to 2,000. Beginning to see the characters I study pop up more and more often. Yay.
On the listening front... I think it's still getting better. I don't have to ask people to repeat themselves so often that they just give up (although it's still an all-too-common occurrence); I can understand more and more points when listening to podcasts; and, to my amazement, I could actually, mostly, follow a TEDx talk (with neither captions nor subtitles). I should however mention that my level of comprehension of that particular talk isn't representative of that of other ones.

台語: Despite not having been dabbling in it for some time, it oddly seems to keep becoming clearer? From time to time, I'll listen to a song, and suddenly realise, I actually kinda understand the odd word here and there. Don't get me wrong - it's not often I understand full sentences or anything; it's just that it's getting a bit less opaque. I'm still not comfortable with noticing the difference between positive and zero VOT (e.g., /g/ and /ɡ̊/ respectively), but it's beginning to appear easier. It's still rather difficult for me to tell apart nasalised and non-nasalised vowels and diphthongs, but I'm beginning to notice things (e.g., /a/ sounds to me more retracted than /ã/; or that maybe it affects the degree of aspiration). And sometimes when I happen to meet the Taiwanese teacher from our university, I actually manage to say things she understands (half the time). For example, a few weeks ago I managed to say "tshiánn lí kā guá kóng, iōng tâi-gí án-nuá kóng ‘還不知道’?” ("請妳共我講,用臺語按怎講‘還不知道’?", "could you tell me, how do you say 'I'm still not sure' (literally "I don't know yet") in Hokkien?"), and she replied with something that sounded like "iah-koh m̄ tsai-iánn" (猶閣毋知影). For quite a while I wanted to know how to say "still/yet" in Hokkien. It's not too difficult to find some translations, but it can be tricky to find out which is the most natural-sounding one. But I knew all the other words in her reply, so all I had do was to find the translation of "still/yet" which sounded the most similar to what I heard (which seems to be "iah-koh" - 猶閣).
0 x
阿波
: 1250 / 1000010k SRS Challenge :
: 3750 / 48084,808 漢字 (handwriting) :

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
台語 (Dabbling)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:21 am

中文:Hit a milestone last midnight, 2,000 words in my listening comprehension deck. Some of the things Reineke has reposted recently, made me think about the way I'm studying vocab. My reasoning is: to reach proficiency, I need ample comprehensible and compelling input. To make potentially compelling input comprehensible, I need enough vocab (amongst other things, of course). Mandarin is kinda helping with Hokkien vocabulary, but I don't have much to help me with Mandarin vocabulary. So I was hoping I could just SRS 10-15k words... it's quick, and convenient. I know it might be "shallow processing", but what's the alternative? Or rather, "viable alternative"? Some of the activities listed in the blog post, are rather slow (and require a proficient speaker's help, which would be rather inconvenient for me).

I had problems remembering 得 (ㄉㄟˇ/dei3 "have to") for years, but when a friend used it during a conversation, it suddenly became easy (I don't want to say "it stuck", because I'd probably still forget it without any repetition). Same for 白 (ㄉㄞˊ /bai2 "in vain"), or 秤 (ㄔㄥˋ /cheng4 "a scale (for weighing stuff)"). The problem is, I have like 252 leeches in my vocab deck right now (is 11.19% much, at a leech threshold of 5?), so relying on them being used in conversation and stuff doesn't feel efficient enough.

I know it might seem a telltale sign of something being terribly wrong with this approach, but even though sometimes upon seeing a new word in Anki, my immediate response is "this one is bound to become a leech in no time"; SRS still feels so much more efficient. But is it though? When it comes to understanding compelling input, I think it's better to have a shaky understanding of 10k words, than a deep understanding of 1k. But at the same time I feel like I'm only doing things this way, because it's quick, convenient, gives a tangible sense of progress, and it makes me feel I'm doing something towards my goal. But it's possible I'm just will-power-lazy —— willing to put literally hundreds of hours into this low-thinking, low-effort, low-stress activity; rather than bother seeking activities which yield better results, but require more focus/mental strain, more effort, and don't necessarily provide a way of visualising something that could correlate with (overall) progress..

台語: I really need to learn how to properly plot formants onto the vowel trapezium... I think /ã/ still sounds to me a bit more front than /a/, but some sources appear to suggest otherwise (to my (still limited) understanding)...
2 x
阿波

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Ezy Ryder wrote:When it comes to understanding compelling input, I think it's better to have a shaky understanding of 10k words, than a deep understanding of 1k. But at the same time I feel like I'm only doing things this way, because it's quick, convenient, gives a tangible sense of progress, and it makes me feel I'm doing something towards my goal. But it's possible I'm just will-power-lazy —— willing to put literally hundreds of hours into this low-thinking, low-effort, low-stress activity; rather than bother seeking activities which yield better results, but require more focus/mental strain, more effort, and don't necessarily provide a way of visualising something that could correlate with (overall) progress..

I have no actual experience myself, but I think you need different strategies when you're learning cognate or alphabet languages versus when you're learning something as opaque as Chinese. Your current shaky understanding of 10k Chinese words is what English speakers have on their FIRST day of learning French - a shaky understanding of 10k French words. So your briefly cramming 10k Chinese words is merely catching up with them in order to start at the same position. Not saying that's the only way to learn Chinese, but saying their needs will be different from yours.

Personally I like to break down my tasks into "low-thinking, low-effort, low-stress" bits, such that the whole learning process takes time but feels easy.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
台語 (Dabbling)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Kafkaesque

I was quite busy with the term-final exams. First preparing for them, then taking them... And even though it has technically started a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure whether I had been allowed to continue onto the second term, until last Monday. I won't be getting into the whys and wherefores, but I think it (as well as how the university can feel at times) can be best explained by just one word. I guess I can say "I decided to read the 'Metamorphosis' and the 'Trial' because of the university" 嘻嘻

中文: Hit a milestone on the Pi-day, 3,000 Hanzi. I usually learn just 10 new characters a day, but on the 13th I was still just at 2,910 (in the morning); so I learnt the remaining 90 characters within ~24 hours, despite having caught a cold for what I think must've been the first time since 2015... I guess 到底 I'm not lazy, I just suffer from 拖延症 (procrastination).
One thing I noticed, was that I can spend more time listening to English in a single day, than I spend listening to Mandarin in like a fortnight (I think I spent ~4 hours listening to English Wednesday last week, and I don't think I spend more than 17 minutes a day on average listening to Mandarin). So, I set a bit of a challenge for myself, this week: Not allow myself to watch any YouTube videos in English (that includes non-instrumental music, but I still can listen to some Dave Brubeck, or Herbie Hancock, for variety). I started on Monday, and it's Friday, 6 PM, as of writing this post. So long as I try not to focus on what I don't understand, I can surprise myself with how much I actually end up understanding. It's all too easy to think "I'm just fooling myself, I'm simply guessing a thing or two based on a few keywords", so sometimes I need to remind myself that "just 2-3 years ago, I wouldn't have understood much at all. And neither would most people who haven't studied/don't speak Mandarin, or any closely related languages". I assume learning English was like that at first, too. I remember not understanding much before I started, and currently it feels like there isn't much I don't understand; so probably a few years ago, even though I wouldn't have understood as much as I do now, I would kinda understand something. Oh, and when trying to transcribe something, I'm beginning to get >90% of the words right.
And it is actually affecting my lexicon! I learnt the word 特質 (though I probably have studied it and forgot some time ago), and I think I've been hearing something that sounds like 到底, but seems to be used more like an adjective (with 的), IIRC.
Also, one thing I've noticed: of course I understand the most having read the captions (if what I'm watching has any captions); but, at least being as slow a reader in Mandarin as I currently am, I think I actually find things easier to understand when ignoring the captions, than trying to read them while listening.

smallwhite wrote:
Ezy Ryder wrote:When it comes to understanding compelling input, I think it's better to have a shaky understanding of 10k words, than a deep understanding of 1k. But at the same time I feel like I'm only doing things this way, because it's quick, convenient, gives a tangible sense of progress, and it makes me feel I'm doing something towards my goal. But it's possible I'm just will-power-lazy —— willing to put literally hundreds of hours into this low-thinking, low-effort, low-stress activity; rather than bother seeking activities which yield better results, but require more focus/mental strain, more effort, and don't necessarily provide a way of visualising something that could correlate with (overall) progress..

I have no actual experience myself, but I think you need different strategies when you're learning cognate or alphabet languages versus when you're learning something as opaque as Chinese. Your current shaky understanding of 10k Chinese words is what English speakers have on their FIRST day of learning French - a shaky understanding of 10k French words. So your briefly cramming 10k Chinese words is merely catching up with them in order to start at the same position. Not saying that's the only way to learn Chinese, but saying their needs will be different from yours.

Personally I like to break down my tasks into "low-thinking, low-effort, low-stress" bits, such that the whole learning process takes time but feels easy.

(Belated) thanks for your input on this. I think I shouldn't worry about some things as much as I do. Naturally I'd like to get to a satisfactory level as soon as possible, but I've been at it for ~3 years now; so I think I'll still be trying to find out what works (and what works better), but be happy about making progress, in the meanwhile.

PS A list of characters you can write really makes for a neat wallpaper ^^

Code: Select all

的是一不我有大人在了學資中會這個以要上可到為交妳你來系好生用時工們就也能之如所下他說多看沒文過得同出請家那天對而小國自想問心本電子都後只知還麼新科發年成和何站名信於去機三地日此法意者二無當道作其然但前與定事最方位些點十題行理現分經路因果訊明教動長使台或真校期情實愛開程話書正間通月次式樣各女將什應及已謝內提起面比外著再主體相高吧第數她網四社關力又老種表見論太清己入加部重進公全至由計音才目回別樂友許該兩感立球給少研統等陳手常像覺聽打號美呢把被原告做張先城望更代選華從林否建性算解記合字竹活歡設龍員快讓考並它難五章師王處若認車每業任議究東較錯星頭館室單水圖接找則報區光完鳳場化必管今非組民風弟黃喜物級辦言結放度凰希幾男隊連玩神改寫傳西裡料影世利且腦份試便士李功受身指色討取特決山班義參語舍聞八件容平怎總元政即向誰直聲門變專金北氣卻吃哈未花務類需轉版死近空讀白灣課曾強啊費兒買講求卡六安賽片興基檔案命反志歌孩備共流聯演錄視園標修思英走驗啦線口服收市供復排觀列除另達住笑形海萬九令失識七確保權界似里育展量格示留制術品器院價約稱乎叫助曲畫整象般查錢帶條導談運故朋遠產始支跟候輸滿往訴存票軟超況晚規持軍早雖值據推拿造樓假易須介念速幫投南眼答型勝百奇半照楊簡掉效馬技限團邊執德注深劉商唱息評願換某裝篇盡引千依夠包戰久段消永差具哪迎印源根調福夜剛例哥預終夢仍首碼離午底親博集宗免殺項步送精俊節職甚蔡后絕順越周怪續斯舉臺宿史編耶戲紅雄落畢賀竟青待苦吳概木顯習停仁刊兄擇客授阿智初切妹忘尚飛態梅藝準陽責輕響附板趣廣獨配負營證迷熱怕聖率倒火足警敗委斷傷舞籃偉詞雙極貴境治古江按環際群細增隨適低歷跌鍵武止司君亦宏屬硬良碟族餐質致疑幹歲帝週懷句嗚雲測亂佳禮黑借布遊角破味堂棒座局拉羅葉維肉榮春練爾爭領啟亞害抱誤輯登典坐尋創賣跑宜模拜普敢眾紀敬護善官註招述紹鄭慧優詢狀筆靜慢獎宣野睡冠雨慶懂右訓微土追煩益舊克唉補姐省絡央徵壞退密缺憶哲麗壓左尤牛曉店黨遇均居雜吉寶濟欣忠置構哇係載母跳劇漢郭狗楚狂嘛養銘歉油醫夫救援房套聊異控姓亮痛施策奏激謂嚴樹溫魔戀鳥劃幸爛序購惡忙欲製冊含屆趕散景陸擊衣協威充廳僅臉乾繼香背徐刻架帳石寄括佈酒賞餘陣冷雅申飯享魚浪諸憲突批蘭祝父鐘藏封誠末賢腳純罵旁守薦素詩莊賴既游宇血核牌承售皆莫升緣弄呀釋幕几瑞詳蘇靈址悲慮廠磁芳惜督擔尊材玉複秀訂虎琴穿佛伯田豬敏付顧唯歸勢鐵傑呼振鄉媽檢街縣豪塊甲席庫端彩律恐鴻祥移仔富靠層副食閱胡病籌隻休夏漫急驚攻麻輝秋困湖郵毛互禁騎緊草巴漸掌短私贊健努抓窗兵洋熟巷幻麵判勇透簽偏康菜波嘉松暑蠻略束獲擁罷衛翻犯派堆臨財減額罪州揮童淚灌凡遺府獅紙呂採刀驢圍圓爽彈怨譯符朝朱桌徒防聰婚猜摘禿劍範射索烈干險京村察顏播搞洪忍予壘棄嘻芬途趙碩惠績祖丁河避暗寒映蜜填骨喝雪燈擬租盤偶稿聚誼貝洲砍洗暫積混析納辛准欄鼓輔隆獻淑寧操丟豐揚鬼挑邦織蜂昭偷堅羽藍昇鏡縮乃塵探遍貓沈撥繳伴覆零虛懶兼昌季慣累箱默螢倫孟皮輪乙替愈插誌款崇勞稍露榜泰貼肯鋼觸巧域延杯醒煙恩農糊彼爺暴柏珍階溝衝憐蛋錦殘洽拼孤拍貨稅蓋伙俠漂搖敵吸橋革折抽雷咱瘋輩佔諒浮冒婆盟耀毒鎮碰昨港歐競茶企癡盛隔森哭伍冰遭銀狼蕭降汽綜握雞尼浩藉抗梁島股宙隱脫絲赤怡審械唐譜忽鼠逐柔刪熊袋呵椅閒庭剩桃冬寢頓藥媒孫鋒帥廢閉尺邀宮穌綠鬧鮮誕淡沙霸殊鬥俗卷沉牆擾損旅迫晨兮針顆屁齊障郎憂碧橫穩仰唸藤妙悔齋晴塗頂汪麥辭寬儘頻憑凱裕儀米吹慘騙厭鷹戶固亡仙拖擴嘴戴勵佩訪溪湯欽巨坦淺屋滾徑洞贏伊躍滅踏慈澤晉毫爸眉玲妨危耳呆池吾旭培壯弘燒掛違籍毅床刺銷瞭尾頁函牙焦描倍寇估召愁賦烏豆采儒髮摩哀悉倚仲妻擺陪沖川弱曰寂睛鬆膽頗寞潮皇鞋瓜潘奔井辨厲羊逢軒姑搶扣陰魯彬牽託櫻勸諾船閣朵搭孔惑蠢踢恭彭恨娘龜厚串染斗拒舒甜塔幽眠裁監廷嫌截窩伸舟賓云震甘驅婦旋茲邏繁耐迴滑搬勿繪乖嚇遞彰塞宋潛湘奮遲姊乏麟嘗遙旗鄰愉逃距旦醉幣鍾笨銳丸掃泳鎖瓶泉挺牧猶飲儲蓮撞苗娃覽慕紛杜坤粉涼盧托窮忌蒙岸緒搜辯礙攝泡淨豈番鳴鄧棋駕旨碗齡盼玫肚晃盾徹飽魏胸缸猛拔垃飄輛悟漏槍乘吵圾溜憾柯侯闆灰尖喊杉泥嘆紫奈庸臭蟻毀翁允稀縱涉奧螞肢摸恥恰酸珠腿贈貌吐魂屏勤薄邪礎罰滄撐捐札奪拷丹占蟲琳駐壁凌爆傻姆嶺煌醬亨抵涵渡恢築瑰促糟勁俱植攜鑑韻韓夕扮枝擠幼奉壽逸趨昏勒扇莎曹抄晶荒泛萍粗傲薩賜駛翔芝谷氛拳鈴錫牲爐誓划返倆賺閃衡旺樞獄禪茂緩醜踴圈奸拓喬奶燕渾拋譽泣洛讚幅秉悅菩夾騰拾糕謀酷誇擋棚逼捨朗堪添慰烤遵悶航肥剪卓脆咧繞鍋潔餅姜蔥症貢蓉氏盜帽柴陶勳貞妥銅盈褲匯葛蒼恆姻億胖淵矩孝欺翰謎鬱惱咖磨鼻陷拆征薪跡犧胞署躲阻怒飾爬肇瞧融侵艾役驟濤蹤柳敦雕腰筋祭吊傢彌獸棍吝循瑪滴枉湊割楓廉丈莉軌捷啡濃蹈貫爹轟狐梯詹契傅闊炮霧暖疏姿佑陵遜辱牢屍勉喪狠魁滋咬昆攔悠暢措扁匆眷謙蔣敲坡擦巫炸謹扯肩桂穎虧菲吟脈疊岳涯貪療攤羨凝伏傾鵬萊卿蝦撒貧瓦貿沿剃併虹哎闡韋衷噴諮壇澡琪悄昂津渴仿刷仇巡屎慎惟綱屠側遷塑俄斜蘋喚腐駝齒靖荷卸躺浴埋碎郁黎刑倦迅濫袖迪艦彎炎妮炬矛雯餓歪偵患匪楠羞謠蕩怖陋襲枯寺赴捲膠猴寡辣罕糖徽夥粹趁纏蠟倉裙鹿釣吻叔宴斤璋譬挖臂屈秦祈綿劣漠卑逝櫃珊腔愧喻馨茫裂陀抑盆娛捧淘汁抖斥喇耗董垂耍逆劫翩欠蛇誘券祕郝殿沛熙賤亭冤笛煞侶炒殷緻燦邁叭戒瑜坪漿叉鑽賈匿憤輻埃蠍曼翹惹拘巍兆勃抒掩婉爵頒獵堡偽盒捕撰侃疾廁殖摔澳伐崔賊籤墨抹戚販恕桶瓊喲臥嫁寸聘漲汗肅淋尿霹繫擎殼鶴蕾拐騷賠辜饒框柱洩彷吞慨梳玻娜廊辰衫詮瑩豫袁懸剝磚遼扭廟凍痕哼靂泊璃帕睹諷鼎闖潤披賭赫翼禎焉淫肆敘寵愚蓄箏廚桑懼衰龐粒挨兔擅弊勾曆押跨朔腸臣疼掙扶悸扎叢秩秤捉畏彙魅凶紋衍催償燃咳謬薇緯膚湛懇楷澄蛙鋪稻雀纖宵禱煥髒糾坊舌閩餃揭埔昔禍潑撫翠豔耕玄熬貸屯伺腹煮馮災胃咸梨液沾奕懺淹臟暮逾乳艱霜訝馳栗墓竊詠耿墮郊螂昧仗倪冥診罐峻壺暈瀑甫驕炫蟹膀疲燭謊脅歧盲槽佐籠坑覓砸崗駿岩姚紐宰履撕桿瑟胎陌諧墜廂鴛濱菊伶漆蓬盪顛倘帆薔噪鴦債蟑彗掘囂僚箭匹甩矮彿芒旬咒攪瞎峽咪頌掏瘦慾媚鵝濁臘屢斑筒仕蔚樸罩脹僑鞭歹嬌姬蒸灑醇肝逗鉛啤墳杖倡癮濾鑰吶鶯寥妄膩剎綁淒嶼挽頃瀟甄削酬狹鄙薯遮卜娶慌襯嘔錶繩丘匙芹凳瞬畔梭澆僱脾踐酌屑亟堵妝疤螺叛縫遣噓拂麒娑歇躬溢擲霞侏斬挪撲枚遨煉斃襄漁雛睜瑤嘯吼妖竭鞠渺膨蒂茁蒐劑傘盔煎蒜翅汰傍僧逮嘲苔懲浸墊銜芥頑倩侮雁簾駁戳穫宅撇弗兜姨妓撤瞄禹湧蕃闢釘爪扔孽襟譚滯蘆槓滔遂巢緝涕潭尉礦顫啞凸摧摯稚綽惕葡鴨孕熹壟刁叮淪訣蜓膜萄詭譴軸蠅崎嫂椰繡寓溶岡攏迦喉棉袍肋瞻募譏豎劈垠窺斟碑抉喘妒逍醋盯撼橘聆囊贖丑葬曝蒲蜻哄敷鏈砂糧頸窄穴嫩曠貶鵑苛蝕崩澎癱閻蚊宛叩挫檬跪巾戈崖嘎慷灘杏澀桐沸穢裸簿沮夷撈聳癢沌掠喧坎拱搏勻蘿慚僵綺炭忿魄嗜霾沐刮俐膺齷帖竣栽侍拙饅茅紮瀚瞳拭晰咚嚮噩唾搓虐吠僻怯肌崑捏釁唬飢鉤餵肖椒癌攀株猩粱芭鈔庚隸擱嬰茹潰恍裹疇萎嘟脖葵媳刃禦檸鹽棲徊揣瞪齪丐蝸乞卵竅姥蟬御渠姦娥蚤膏惘鏢僕颱篩蔽楣丞掀燥跋啼嗽糙敞溉鍛磋轄惶袱尬荊霍樁熄徘疆絮菸鷺溯哨嫉糞劾耽凹腥鑼廬堤酥吁皺疚櫥腕跆夭芽斧爍鋁笙悼鴉獰瑕沫牡凋黯塘煽疵肺壤奴蠶毆搗蹺淆竺暇尷嘶俏杭餒寨縛榔癒峙苟腫脂輿裔咽穆嘩輒佇禧禾愣烘疫蹲猙蘊冗蛛溺淳諱絆焰瞞兢燙炊繕芯疙檳詣緬吱犬匠汲榴毯噱嚼剖竄嶽瑣踞甸渥矇曦頹拯祟嬉徨詐喃鹹奢軀嗓吭睿憫橙締畜淇憬稽艙蹋皂柵骼迄薰隋葦棕瀉斂浦咋轍鑣孜梵妃膝摟絞煤嫣駱誦饕髓蜈澈菌蕉傭塢鮑拌旱萃憧篤蚣豹卦悵幟鬍筍絨垮懊耘綴阪癥磯鵲逞韭隕騁矜檀鬨斡稷箴繚鞍狙雹麾

Here's the current list, in case anyone would like to take a gander 哈哈
0 x
阿波

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
台語 (Dabbling)

Re: 阿波's Endeavour (中文,台語)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:29 pm

中文:Tried transcribing a minute of audio today. Transcribing each 15 second segment took me: (less than 15 minutes) - 10 minutes - 13 minutes - 9 minutes, respectively. So, I guess there's some progress, since not too long ago slower audio would take me 1m/1s, through the text coverage wasn't very good...
Characters in red are ones I got wrong, characters in blue are ones I only got "right" because I typed down what I heard and the characters what popped up made sense, and the hashes are ones I couldn't guess at all at the time. Oh, and the [一竅不通] line I couldn't even tell the number of syllables, let alone understand.
https://youtu.be/D4VSBXSpLLg?t=1m24s (1:24-2:26)
人類把它解决這個問題
刪除了原本##機器人發展這三條定律
有個機器##了為人類服務的## (I thought it'd be 輸入 >.<)
便釋放人類的感情
#它們在碰到這些倫理問題
##能力自己處理
可這人類並沒有意識到
這種做法已經創造了一個##的物種
這個物種比人類更智能
需要被人尊重

這時候的機器在所有人的是工具
人類簡單#安排建築工地
####、服務業 (I knew it'd be 山西 >.<)
它們是只需要太陽能供電的####動力 (最... called it)
## (guessed the 短 part)
人類文明進入空前的繁榮
何為首先的有吃有喝###的共產主義 (knew it'd be another 有)
真的來臨

知道有一#
一個機器人試著將主人殺死
打破了##的## (guessed the 平)
機器試著法庭#解釋自己是為了幫助主人
幫助
積極的自我###好奇玩可以變成殺人
越來越多人意識到邏輯經過機器的####超過了正常人類的理解能力
[一竅不通]
人類
陷入對機器的##
接下來人類先對可控……

Overall comprehension: roughly 158/205=~77%
0 x
阿波

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
台語 (Dabbling)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 am

中文:I've been collecting words I'd like to be able to use myself in an Anki deck for a while now. And about 6 weeks ago I finally (re)started going through it, at a pace of 25 new words a day. On the front of each card I have a definition (usually in English, on rare occasion in Mandarin), and on the back I have the word written phonetically and in characters (I do try to remember how to spell it, but I only ever fail a card if I fail to recall the pronunciation). I'm on a 41-day streak so far (haven't missed a day yet, and I don't intend today to be an exception), which means I hit 1,000 words studied the day before yesterday. Though some of the words I "kinda remembered but didn't get the tone right" and things like that, so that doesn't necessarily mean having broadened my productive vocab by a 1,000 "truly new" words.
I do feel I can use more words than 6 weeks ago. And it's really cool when I hear someone else using one of them, and I understand it precisely because of the deck. For example, I remember a friend has used the word 吐槽 when we were Skype'ing; and I understood 將心比心 when watching a YouTube video (although, the video was captioned, and I'm not sure if I "聽懂'ed it first", or "看懂'ed it first").

I got back to learning new characters (10 a day). Although oft I fear I'm learning them just to be able to say "I can write x thousand characters by hand".
There are moments I can't remember what a character meant, upon seeing it written, despite being able to write it if prompted by the meaning and/or example words instead. And I definitely don't remember and/or know words using all the characters I know. Which leaves me in the peculiar situation of "being able to write some characters I can't use in my writing"...

I've been trying to figure out a way to get myself to watch/listen to more Mandarin. I tried the approach I mentioned in my last video, I tried establishing a "listening budget" (I'd get to watch 1 minute of English media for every 1 minute of Mandarin media. So, if the "listening budget" was at 10 minutes, and I wanted to watch a 15-minute long YouTube video in English, I'd have to watch/listen to at least 5 more minutes of Mandarin first), I tried not allowing myself to watch English videos on the day I find them (but adding them to the "Watch Later" playlist instead); and I've been thinking about spending at least 8 minutes watching/listening to Mandarin every hour (which should add up to at least over 2 hours a day).
長話短說,I have yet to figure out how to go about it; but at least all the Mandarin listening has made me dream in Mandarin a bit more often, which is fun ^^

General: Managed to improve my sleep hygiene a fair bit: now I get up at 6AM every day, and I go to bed between 10 and 11PM. Also, I keep getting better (or should I say "less bad"? ;) ) at long-distance running/jogging, and I think I established a routine of two runs a week: one long-run (currently, 11km or ~6.8mi) and one short-run (~3km or (actually closer to) ~2mi). I love the sense of achievement when it's not even 7AM and I'm out running already ^^
Oh, and I ran a third of a Marathon (~14.1km or ~8.76mi) a few weeks ago :)

EDIT: Technically, I've used this vocab deck about a year ago, so I changed "started going through it" to "(re)started going through it.
1 x
阿波

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
台語 (Dabbling)

Postby Ezy Ryder » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:33 am

台語:Not much of an update, but while looking for some more music to listen to, I stumbled upon this song opening with a 16-second 口白, which I understood most of, and that made me happy ^^ (even managed to figure out two new words out of context: ta̍k-kang/逐工=every day, tsài-tōo/再度=once more/one more time). Here's my attempt at transcribing it:
Sim-ài, tsū hit-li̍t lī-khui liáu-āu, guá ta̍k-kang tū su-liām lí./心愛,自彼日離開了後,我逐工就思念妳。//Or is it something more like 拄 instead of 就?
Lí ê siann, lí ê iánn, ū-sî # tsāi guá ê ba̍k-tsiu. Siánn-mih sî-tsūn lí tsài-tōo tńg--lâi --leh?/妳的聲、妳的影,有時#在我的目睭。啥物時陣,妳再度轉來咧 ?//Or just something more like 的 at the end?
Sim-ài, lí sī tsāi ná-lí?/心愛,妳是在哪裡?”
0 x
阿波

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 pm

阿波,你一定是一个很有趣的人。很高兴在这里认识你,加油!
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Re: Ezy Ryder's Endeavour

Postby Batur » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:30 pm

jalhaesseo wrote:
Ezy Ryder wrote:Lastly, a sample of my handwriting. Hope I have improved since the last time I uploaded one.https://www.dropbox.com/s/eq7hupflyve0bg6/HandwritingTaichung2015.jpg?dl=0

Wow, impressive!

Wow! Really cool handwriting!
0 x

Doris
White Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),Japanese(N1),English(intermediate)

Re: Ezy Ryder's Endeavour

Postby Doris » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:19 am

阿波,祝福你中文越学越好~欢迎再来中国旅游,很多地方都很美~
0 x

Return to “Language logs”