What next? (learning Spanish, maintaining German, random dabbling...)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Re: What next? (learning Spanish, maintaining German, random dabbling...)

Postby gsbod » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:56 pm

I finished watching Orange Days and really enjoyed it. It left me feeling quite nostalgic for the time in my life when I was learning Japanese and watching a lot of JDrama - although on the whole, I think I am happier now (not that JDrama has anything to do with that!)

I've also reached the halfway point in Destinos. They really know how to drag things out. Episode 24 ends in a cliffhanger, and then rather than attempt any degree of resolution, episodes 25 and 26 are both recaps of what has happened so far. The idea is that they've compiled key scenes from the show so far, with the expectation that you should be able to understand a lot more of the dialogue than when you saw them first time around. Pedagogically a neat idea, but from a storytelling point of view, very frustrating!

Looking at the course structure for Destinos, the grammar topics covered moving forwards are much more in line with the B1 syllabus. The class I am taking is firmly in A2 territory, which leaves me with the dilemma of whether to carry on watching Destinos and hoping for the best, or to do some supplementary study to try to make the most of it, or whether to pause Destinos until I finish the A2 course. Having learned a bit of French, B1+ topics like the subjunctive are not exactly alien to me anyway. For comprehension, it's just a case of figuring out what it looks like in Spanish. But I still have more work to do bedding down the various past tenses in Spanish, and I think at the moment I would profit more from spending some time on that rather than rushing ahead with more advanced topics. That does leave me with a bit of a gap for regular listening practice, however.
7 x

Return to “Language logs”