Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Iversen's second multiconfused log thread

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:00 am

I know that guy ! (I meet him at festivals once a year or so, and he even has one of my tunes somewhere on the Irish list... 8-) )
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:12 am

incredible! :)

are you a composer? which instruments can you play?

Do you want that I will play a piece for your prize, or maybe you won't get a prize this time becuase you didn't know all the answers.

I will make a new recording with more pieces and you and Iversen can name them. I will play more from the same book, then after I will play some pieces from a different book.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Iversen wrote:IC(...)Það undrar mig að Íslendingar og færeyska ekki tala eigið tungumál hver við annan - frá sjónarhóli mínu að skoða, þessa tvö tungumál eru miklu nærari hver öðrum en þeir eru á dönsku.

I haven't had much exposure to Icelandic (one film and one tv series - that's it), but was nevertheless quite surprised to see that I could understand a great deal of your post. :D

vogeltje wrote:are you a composer? which instruments can you play?

No recording necessary, thanks anyway. :) I do compose tunes now and then (mostly reels, jigs etc.), and I play guitar/mandolin/fiddle/button accordion/low whistle (and half a dozen other instruments) to varying degrees of fluency. Many years ago, I sat in the 2nd violin section in the local sinfonietta. Now I've retired. ;)
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:18 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
vogeltje wrote:are you a composer? which instruments can you play?

No recording necessary, thanks anyway. :) I do compose tunes now and then (mostly reels, jigs etc.), and I play guitar/mandolin/fiddle/button accordion/low whistle (and half a dozen other instruments) to varying degrees of fluency. Many years ago, I sat in the 2nd violin section in the local sinfonietta. Now I've retired. ;)

wow, you are an orchestra yourself haha :lol:

retired 2nd violinist, where are your tunes? :) is one for the violin? or piano, I can play the piano although I prefer the violin at the moment. I'd like to play a tune by a person who is on this forum. I played Iversen's nocturne (the beginning of that). I won't record it if you don't want, and anyway, maybe it will be too difficult. I have started 3rd position, so elementary level. I try to do vibrato, becuase it's so much more beautiful with that, but not correctly. by the way, I love the accordion, although I have never played it.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Small corrections (in Latin, green):

Iversen wrote:SE: То је прилично дуго времена јер сам интензивно радио са na српском -аправио сам паузу за време мог боравка у Словачкој и Чешкој - тако да је сада мало зарђао. Скоро да сам морао да поново уче своје učim завршетке, али ово је једна од ствари које можете да урадите за репревођења.. prevođenja Допуњен Dopunio сам своје очитавања (can't understand: notes? then beleške) са листа listom речи KOJA садржи речи које почињу са Ш. Ја сам увек пријатно изненађује iznenađen да те су толико посуђенице (existential: ima toliko posuđenica) - укључујући речи "шлага" reč "šlag" (participles don't change case of objects, still A) (од немачког "Schlagsahne").
0 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:22 pm

šlag = in addition to "whipped cream" it can mean moždani udar (šlog, “kap”).
Ger Schlag = hit, blow but also whipped cream
"šlagiranje" could mean a couple of things in relation to the above and most recently, the practice of "huffing" -- trying to get a hit or buzz from whippped cream cans .
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:16 pm

Well, maybe the corrections to my Serbian text were small, but there were a lot of them.
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:41 am

Heute habe ich eine neue Aufnahme gemacht wo ich wieder einige Stücke aus dem Geigenbuch gespielt habe. Bald werde ich es nach Youtube aufladen und hier embedden (?) haha Ich spiele ganz viel im Moment, eigentlich habe ich riesige Lust dazu.

Jeff, ich übe zwei andere Stücke, die ich glaube dir gefallen werden :) das sind Irisch oder Schottisch oder sowas, kann ich mich nicht genau herinnern und das Buch liegt im anderen Zimmer.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Concerning the musical theme here: I have for some time been using the site IMSLP (Music Score Library Project) for my collection of themes for my private music collection - safer than relying on listening - and yesterday it occurred to me that it might allow composers to publish their works for free, provided that they accept that the site primarily deals with music scores of composers whose copyright has expired. And in fact it seems that this is possible, so maybe I'll use the opportunity - almost all my opusses are already stored as pdf files so it wouldn't be too much of a hazzle. I scanned the lot last year and stored them as jpgs, which I at first accessed through html-files with links to each image file - but it then occurred to me that I could import them into libre office and save the result as pdf- It may not be the ortodox way of doing it, but the result is OK.

Concerning language learning: I finished my Icelandic novel already Friday (after just three 'sessions' - if you can speak about 'sessions' when I was lying down), but then went on a family visit where I didn't study much - apart from concocting a short Russian wordlist and reading Latin grammar in the train. Yesterday night I then started a new book as goodnight reading and reached page 32 before I fell asleep:

IT: Questo libro si chiama "Postille a Il Nome della Rosa" e con solo 45 pagine credo che sarà una lettura due-notte - il che mi piace perche non ho pazienza per lunghe storie, quale per esempio il proprio Nome della Rosa. Ho letto la Rosa intera durante i miei anni di studio all'università di Århus negli anni 70, ma quando fece il tentativa di farlo ancore una volta 1-2 anni fa il libro mi parve insopportabilmente lungo e noioso (non ho visto il film). Ricordo, però, abbastanza del contenuto dalla prima lettura per poter apprezzare la piccola postilla, nella quale il signor Eco racconta come ha scritto la sua opera magistrale. Dice per esempio che qualcuno complimentó la sua descrizione del tramonto - e sua moglie ha suggerito che l'aveva veduto di nascosto perché normalmente solo studiavo il mondo attraverso i suoi libri. Ma lui disse che infatti conosceva il mondo medievale così bene che sapeva come gli scrittori avevano visto il tramonto nel medioevo - non era necessario per un certo Umberto Eco dell'epoca moderna guardarlo ancora una volta. Spiega anche come quasi ha vissuto nel suo monastero immaginario - se sarebbe necessario un certo tempo per andare da A a B in un monastero corrispondente nel mondo reale, ha assegnato lo stesso tempo per una conversazione durante la stessa passeggiata nel mondo fittizio.

Kunst090.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:26 pm

Iversen wrote:Concerning the musical theme here: I have for some time been using the site IMSLP (Music Score Library Project) for my collection of themes for my private music collection - safer than relying on listening - and yesterday it occurred to me that it might allow composers to publish their works for free, provided that they accept that the site primarily deals with music scores of composers whose copyright has expired. And in fact it seems that this is possible, so maybe I'll use the opportunity - almost all my opusses are already stored as pdf files so it wouldn't be too much of a hazzle. I scanned the lot last year and stored them as jpgs, which I at first accessed through html-files with links to each image file - but it then occurred to me that I could import them into libre office and save the result as pdf- It may not be the ortodox way of doing it, but the result is OK.

Each of my compositions (except one) consist of a single melody line (sometimes with suggested chords), and everything (except the exception*...) is written in ABC notation, which is a text-based notation system (dead easy to learn). So, for traditional music of this kind, storage is not a problem. One of the major sites for Irish tunes is The Session, which has 14107 tunes at the moment (some include various settings). There are online conversion tools to generate MIDI or regular staff notation, and The Session converts everything automatically.

There are some other text-based systems, e.g. MusicXML and Lilypond which also can generate sheet music.

* My exception is a mere 3.16 minute long allegro in F major (strings+winds). Not a masterpiece, but it was a fun experiment. I wrote it in Finale Notepad in 2003/2004 (while hearing the music in my head) and exported the thing to MIDI.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”