Kida's Japanese Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Kida_4000061
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner/ lower intermediate), & French (Very Basic & mostly forgotten)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2190

Re: Kida's Japanese Log

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Goals for Week 21
-1 lesson TaeKim per day (I did only 5 lessons last week, but better than previously weeks.)
-at least 1 page of Real Japanese transcribed per day (Yes, but sometimes I spent a little more time on a page than I should.)
-work the thing that I had planned for Kanji Flashcards (No, I completely forgot)

I am on Giving and Receiving in the Grammar Guide lessons, so I should be done with essential grammar by the end of this week. I also downloaded the Grammar Guide on my phone, so I can study on the go. I finished month 10 of Real Japanese on Saturday, added notes to month 8 on Sunday, and I am going start month 11, today. I also figure out that I will get the transcription done 2 month prior to my December deadline if I can keep up the pace. Also, I am holding off Kanji plans until I finish Tae Kim.
Goals for Week 22
-1 Lesson from TaeKim's Grammar Guide per day
- at least at least 1 page of Real Japanese transcribed per day
To do (optional):
-add notes to month 8 (5 days left) & month 9
-cut out flashcards
0 x
Real Japanese Transcription: 5 / 13
The Handbook of Japanese Verbs: 0 / 2
The Loom of Language: 3 / 12

Kida_4000061
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner/ lower intermediate), & French (Very Basic & mostly forgotten)

Postby Kida_4000061 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:24 am

Back after being gone from for so long.

Now, for brief summary to what I have been doing while I was gone:
- Real Japanese is not done, still, but progress is happening very slowly. I am at 3 years month, but I am currently going back through the other files and proofreading, which I just finished 2 years month 8.
- Acquired more books including Tobira
- Upgraded my electronic dictionary from a Canon Wordtank IDP-700G to Casio XD-470
- Recently got a Kindle paperwhite for reading novels.

Plans for the future:
- Finish Real Japanese transcript in Kana & Kanji (obviously).
- Start transitioning to reading dictionary definitions in Japanese only.
- After proofreading, I am going to start Subject-Grouped 1016 Kanji in Context, and Handbook of Modern Japanese Grammar by McGloin.
- Use Kindle to read novels with assistance of a dictionary.

Also, I am not going update weekly like this originally was. Maybe monthly or a irregular basis, I still have not decided on that.
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:41 am

The previous post should have said 3 years 3 Months, not 3 years month. I also have decided to a biweekly updates, which is in the middle of weekly and monthly, so this is the first biweekly update.

I just finished proofreading 2 years 9 months, and I will be starting Month 10, tomorrow. I received also the Japanese dub of Monster Ink in the mail, today, but so far I have only watched the previews. I have been reading one book on my Kindle in Japanese. It is called Adventure Game Book Pi Challenge. You basically have to figure a the sequence of a number by going through the correct gateway. I also read some of AJATT (all japanese all time) and I am thinking of maybe doing 10,000 sentences, because it is similar to what I am doing right now.
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Second Biweekly update

For Real Japanese proofreading, I am on Two Years - Month eleven starting day six. I also have been reading Anki Essentials in preparation for going at round two Anki, in which I make my own decks from scratch. The last time, I used the premade core 2k, and did like it by end of the first step. I am on Chapter 13 for Anki Essentials, which I should be done with by the end of the week. I also resumed reading Strategies For Reading Japanese, only made it past the introduction. I also have been chatting with a Japanese native on Tandem.

On different note, the weekly Japanese Group that I attend has more people. We have reading a kindle book called 長い寄り道(Long Road or Stopping on one's travel). It is collection of short stories, we are on the first one of seven stories, the 竹藪の柩 (The bamboo grove coffin). It felt difficult at first until we got past the first paragraph. Then it was easier than I thought it was at the beginning.
1 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Third Biweekly update

Not much has happen. I have little to no progress the proofreading of Real Japanese, but I recently has a serge of motivation to work on it after watching this video. It made me realize why it was beneficial to go through the book, and that I should complete it. Also, I have been doing Japaneseclass.jp out of bordem, which is something I guess. I am level 7, and on Lesson 53 in both Kanji and Vocabulary.
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:26 am

It has been a long time, since I have updated this log. For most of that time, I did not do any Japanese study, so I am still at the around the same level. I have since last post finished proofreading Real Japanese, and I have most of it complete, except for the verb list at the back.

Recently, I have change my study to focus more on spoken language than previously because I realize that I made the most progress with Spoken Japanese sentences in terms of comprehension.

My current plan is to focus on improving my Japanese pronunciation, since that is my weakest skill, and I will be putting a majority of my time in this. For this, I am using Dogen's Japanese Phonetics and shadowing materials that I have collected. Currently, I have rough draft notes for up to lesson 8 plus 34 & 35, and final notes for 1, 2, & part of 3. Also, I am very slowly transfer my Real Japanese notes to Anki. I only have the first two chapters done.

Finally, here is an updated plan for the near future. For Vocabulary and Grammar, I am going to start with Kakehashi: Beginner to Advance textbook and workbook to hopefully boost me into the intermediate level. Then transition into Japanese Readers, and maybe Tobira. For Kanji, I am going start by using both 1016 Subject Grouped Kanji in Context, for order and vocabulary, Kondansha's Kanji Learner Course for mnemonics at the same time.

My goal is to try to update this on at least a biweekly basis, preferably weekly.
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:03 pm

This update will go over my brief accomplishments over the last 2 weeks, and talk about upcoming plans.

For the last two weeks, I got the notes for lesson 3 done, and I have most of lesson 4 done. Also, I have the rough draft for lesson 9. I am enjoying it so far. Recently, I have been cleaning out my study materials file on my computer. I did read all of kajisou from one of my readers out of bordem. I, also, have looking at podcasts to add more listening material to my collection.

Current plans for the next couple of weeks are to start adding pitch accent to my Real Japanese deck, as well as add more sentences from the word documents. Also, I am going to continue working on Dogen Phonetic's course with a goal of atleast 30 minutes day. I, also, need to make a copy of Tokyo Sonata, which I got at Dogen's recommendation, for my iPad.
1 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:10 pm

A quick update for this week:

I am currently working on lesson 5 with plans of finishing it up this week or today. My goal of at least 30 minutes everyday has not been very successful, but I will keep trying to do it maybe shooting for only 3 times a week, since that is pretty close to what I am doing, right now. I, also, have six Japanese books in coming the mail: 2 readers(Reading Japanese with a Smile &どんどん読めるいろいろな話), and 4 books by Miyabe Miyuki (all of Brave Story & 夢にも思わない). My goals for this week are to find my Japanese Electronic Dictionary, which I somehow I misplaced, and start reviewing my Phonetics Notes.
0 x

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Postby kujichagulia » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:13 pm

おかえり! Welcome back to the Japanese journey!
0 x

Kida_4000061
White Belt

Postby Kida_4000061 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:41 pm

kujichagulia wrote:おかえり! Welcome back to the Japanese journey!

Thank you!

Now, time for the weekly update.

I am still not with lesson 5, but I did work on it some today and I want to finish it up today as well. Also, most of my books have arrived expect for Reading Japanese with a Smile and the English edition of Brave Story to accompany the Japanese editions. Also, today I have received an mp3 player which I have started loading up with some music and audio dramas.
Here is some vocabulary that learned for looking them up:
オディオドラマ Audio Drama
ラジオドラマ Radio Drama
朗読(ろうどく) Read out loud
ポッドカスト Podcast
読み聞かせ(よみきかせ) Reading out loud
0 x

Return to “Language logs”