Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's French Courses Mission

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Okay, thanks to smallwhite for getting me thinking about the exam again, to the point where I've decided to get focused ;) I have limited time each day, I don't mind cutting back on my resources for the 6 weeks and reintroducing things later post-exam if I want to. For now, I think i'm best to come up with the best routine I can to improve my chances of passing the exam.

So, first of all I've cut out Assimil Using French, as I can come back to completing the 2nd wave in 6 weeks time, unless I feel I have a real need to use it and it will benefit me for the exam (can't see that happening). I also cut out the Vocabulaire Progressif course I was doing.

I came up with a rehashed exam prep version of one of my study routines. As usual these are in hour blocks, and like many of my study routines, it's a rotating system of those hour blocks. This means I might get 1 hour done one day, 4 hours another but I continue rotating through (i.e. not starting from the first hour on this list each day, but continuing with the next hour from where I left off the day before). Each hour block also has various options that I rotate through each time. For example in the first hour I might use Production écrite B1/B2, and next time I get back to this same hour block, I would use a different course in that list for that hour. Same goes for the reading block - rotate through the materials.
----------------------------------------
By rotation :
--------
A COURSE

15 min SRS + 45 min by rotation of :
• Production écrite B1/B2
• Préparation à l'examen du DELF B2
• Réussir le DELF B2
• Activités pour le CECR niv. B2
(I have four courses here, could be spreading myself too thin?)
----------------
READING

By rotation :

Extensive reading
One hour of ext. reading by rotation of :
• A fiction book

Intensive reading
15 min SRS + 45 min of either :
• Bien-dire
• Think French

Extensive reading
One hour of ext. reading by rotation of :
• A non-fiction book
----------------
A COURSE

15 min SRS + 45 min by rotation of :
• Production écrite B1/B2
• Prép. à l'examen du DELF B2
• Réussir le DELF B2
• Activités pour le CECR niv. B2
----------------
LISTENING

By rotation :

Extensive listening with a series
One hour of a series

Intensive listening
15 min SRS + 45 min of :
• Yabla

Extensive listening with a series
One hour of a series
----------------------------------

Notes and justifications

*I have also taken out easy readers - not that I was really using them much, they were still in my wishful thinking routine, which I wasn't sticking to.

* Both my reading and listening hours contain 3 activities of which I rotate through each time I arrive at those hour blocks of study (I do one of the three activities, rotating to the next activity only the next time arriving at that hour). Those 3 activities contain 2 extensive activities and only 1 intensive. I don't think I'll get a lot of bang for buck doing too much intensive work at this stage. My vocab is rather large-ish now and I'm not going to be able to take on board that many new words in 6 weeks, but by doing more extensive I activities I will be hopefuly pushing my reading and listening skills up and strengthening what I already have some idea of in some contexts but still remain lacking in sheer volume of exposure.

* 2 out of the four blocks above are nevertheless dedicated to course work for exam prep. I think, being a slow methodical person when it comes to almost anything, best I feel very confident with the format of the exam than coming unstuck and losing major marks for being unprepared, too slow, or just plain lost- believe me, this is worthwhile knowing my deer in headlights personality at times.

* I'm going to add some fiction into my reading to mix things up. I've not really read any at this stage- I'm considering Harry Potter.

* Getting a Tutor once a week on iTalki I think is a wise idea - 6 sessions (6 weeks) should help, right?

* Recently I had begun using Glossika during commutes. Which, btw, I've been somewhat disappointed with. The IPA is garbage. I only found this out as someone contacted me on twitter asking me about it and stated the IPA was rubbish- I then looked at it and discovered this to be true. How on earth are learners expected to trust such rubbish? Still, as an audio course, it's not bad (so far) despite some mistakes on occasion. I'm likely to cut this course for now and push faster podcasts - journal en français facile will still work well for me- exposure to current affairs, transcripts can be accessed on occasion at work after commuting there, and listened to again on the way home. I will seek out something else too at some point.
* Will continue to fill in gaps in my spare time of what little there will be with French when possible- this is effectively my own little 6 week challenge!
Edit: * Not sure how often I should do SRS - for now it's only listed as the first 15 min of the hour blocks in which I do intensive study. For the extensive activities I've taken it out- not sure if this is a good move?
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:32 pm

reineke wrote:Take it. Do Takt
TakeTakeakeat
ppprevious Aaaaaargh! Google keyboard sucks! I don't want the auto screwup feature.

Take it. Look up some test samples.You should have at least one preparatory course in your list of courses. Read through Cavesa's posts. You may need to clear a weekend for that. I don't know if you've tried dialang.

Thanks for your support Reineke... Jeffers too!

Dialang - it's an exam system right? I did use the other one a while back by FSI I think or something like that with their online learning system or online something something, can't remember now! doesn't matter.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Dialang is an online diagnostic tool. You'll find the link here:

http://forum.language-learners.org/view ... =19&t=2897
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:55 pm

reineke wrote:Dialang is an online diagnostic tool. You'll find the link here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2897

Ah yes I remember now. It's similar to DLI Online Diagnostic Assessment that Iguanamon had recommended to me, which I did a little while back. Here is the link for the reading component results I took:
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5037&start=60

...and here for listening...
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5037&start=90

I ought to go back over that thread and read the host of excellent recommendations again, but I don't want to spend to much time planning (i'm leaving my run a little late- no-one to blame but myself). I need to just get on with it. Thus I think I'll skip the Dialang, unless I stand to gain a lot from it that I don't already know (i assume I won't). I have a fair idea of what I need to do- get busy!
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:59 pm

PM did ODA of DLI in DEC MMXVI, got B2 & C1 per CEFR, AFAIK - URL, BTW :lol:
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Woohoo smallwhite. Way to give a push in the right direction :)

PM - instead of rotating those 4 courses for the 6 weeks, why not prioritize them and just finish them one at a time during the appropriate block? Maybe finish as much as possible in order and then pick and choose exercises from what remains for the last two weeks?
5 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:28 pm

PM, glad to see you preparing for B2 exam. I think you will do very well. Good luck with it!

I looked at your plan, and it's very thorough as usual. I didn't see any writing time though, but perhaps I missed it. Maybe change the intensive reading and intensive listening blocks out for writing time? Any way you do it, it looks like you are going to be really busy.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:39 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
reineke wrote:Dialang is an online diagnostic tool. You'll find the link here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2897

Ah yes I remember now. It's similar to DLI Online Diagnostic Assessment that Iguanamon had recommended to me, which I did a little while back. Here is the link for the reading component results I took:
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5037&start=60

...and here for listening...
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5037&start=90

I ought to go back over that thread and read the host of excellent recommendations again, but I don't want to spend to much time planning (i'm leaving my run a little late- no-one to blame but myself). I need to just get on with it. Thus I think I'll skip the Dialang, unless I stand to gain a lot from it that I don't already know (i assume I won't). I have a fair idea of what I need to do- get busy!

That's a long thread, written in English. Dialang, as I recall it, takes about 90 minutes to complete and tests up to C2 (ie higher than DLI's ODA system). It's a language exercise in its own right. I see that Serpent also suggested that you take this test and she's a smart young lady. You answered that you "were planning to".

You should probably also stage some mock exams with a good tutor. That is, if you care to obtain a certificate. I should be the last person to say this but...use your time wisely.
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 pm

Speaking of using time wisely...

(Edit- don't bother answering, it doesn't start until May! Idiot PM, idiot. I left the post here in case someone already read it).

Should I do this?
https://afmelbourne.sslsvc.com/af/course-selector/?product_id=7025&age_group_id_no_recurse=1&session_id_no_recurse=1&level_id_no_recurse=1&location_id_no_recurse=1&order_course_no_recurse=1&age_group_id=1&session_id=158&level_id=57&location_id=26&clicked_link=1
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:57 pm

Here's a course you should definitely sign up for, at least to check it out:
https://www.coursera.org/learn/etudier-en-france/home/welcome

The course is designed for students at B1-B2. The focus is on students who want to study in France, but the course is entirely in French so it should be good preparation . It starts mid-April and runs to the end of May, but you can actually start the first week right away. Each week has about 50 minutes of videos (mostly lectures I think), readings which are meant to take around 40-50 minutes. exercises which range from 2-3 hours of work, and a bunch of quizzes. All together they expect it will take you 7 hours per week. You can pay for a "verified certificate" but if you choose "audit the course" it's free. The only thing you don't get to do with the free version is to write and mark peer-graded assignments.
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language logs”