Humerusthings log: German & French Log through Assimil 2024

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Re: Humerusthings log: German & French Log through Assimil 2024

Postby humerusthings » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:46 am

German
- 12th Feb - had another italki class, slowly progressing through the new interactive textbook! love the new vocab/conversation/interaction that an italki class invariably brings :)
- plugging my way slowly through bussu, at chapter 16/30 but keep on skipping ahead randomly to whatever i feel like learning that day
today included pets, buying milk, lol indeed important topics

Japanese
- so i reccently got into final fantasy 14 and joined a japanese server, so the thought of learning japanese popped into my mind! never really -needed- to learn it before this but literally now i DO.
- started learning very basic hiragana on busuu
5 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Postby humerusthings » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:03 pm

German
- So today I did the Bussu A1 level test (on a long bus ride home) and was pleasantly surprised that I passed! i know it's not actually equivalent to an A1 test but it was still a nice surprise haha. got C (76%) and have a lovely cert that i downloaded. with regards to the actual bussu course, i'm about 70% of the way through it, so hoping to get an A one day!
- Italki - currently have done 4 german lessons in total with this tutor, working our way through an interactive textbook
- listened to half a coffee break german s1 podcast on directions

Slowlyyy getting there with the aim of taking the german A1 test someday... anyone has done it and knows how many months one would need to study? not intensively but perhaps like... an hour a day, some days 30mins, some days 0 mins (sigh it's a pipe dream isnt it).
7 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 pm

humerusthings wrote:Slowlyyy getting there with the aim of taking the german A1 test someday... anyone has done it and knows how many months one would need to study? not intensively but perhaps like... an hour a day, some days 30mins, some days 0 mins (sigh it's a pipe dream isnt it).

Numbers vary: one website says 60-90 hours, another 60-100 hours and a third says 100-150 hours to go from zero to A1. The lower numbers are probably classroom time, without counting homework and additional practice? The problem (or advantage?) for the self-learner is that you are probably not simply preparing for a specific exam, so it would likely take longer studying on your own. Or you could do it in less time if your only goal was to scrape a pass on the exam.
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language logs”