Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
robokey
Languages: English (native), Japanese (intermediate), French (beginner)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby robokey » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 am

Hi everyone! I'm Key. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. with a huge passion for language learning. I discovered this forum through a Reddit post discussing the Super Challenge and I thought it would be a fun idea to participate!

Japanese is my favorite language and I've studied it for many years. I'm also interested in French, and currently figuring out how to add it into my routine alongside Japanese. I dabble in Portuguese and Hebrew, with hopes to study them more in the future.

Looking forward to learning with you all!
13 x

squirrel
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20183

Postby squirrel » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:24 am

Hi, I'm squirrel, and I'm from the US. I'm currently learning German (A2), and I plan to learn Spanish once I get a more solid foundation in German. There are other languages I'm interested in learning one day (Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, etc.), but I probably won't start a third language for several years. I'm learning languages because I enjoy the process, but I hope to reach a good enough level to read literature from other cultures and communicate with more people around the world.
8 x

dabedu
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Japanese (C2), French (B1), Chinese (beginner)

Postby dabedu » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 am

Heys guys,

I'm dabedu. I'm from Germany but I currently live and work in Japan. I learned about this forum on Reddit and decided to join because I wanted to participate in the Super Challenge (and also, because it's kinda fun to be on an oldschool phpBB forum - real blast from the past for me :D ).

The language I've spent the most time on outside of English is Japanese, but I've also dabbled in Chinese and have some knowledge of French. My French is actually a bit of a special case, since I was born in France and spoke it fluently as a kid.
Unfortunately, it atrophied from disuse after my parents moved back to Germany and while my comprehension skills are okay-ish, my output skills are limited.
I hope that the Super Challenge is going to get me motivated to work on my French again - without neglecting my Japanese, of course.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being part of a community of people who are as passionate about language learning as I am!
11 x

fenkoli
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (N2, but dropped), Swedish (B1), Finnish (A1)
Dabbling: Russian, Serbian, Norwegian, German
Hit list: Romani, Northern Sámi, Latvian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 81#p240481

Postby fenkoli » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 am

Hiya! My name is Elias, I'm 30 and live in the UK.

My strongest language (though that's not saying much) is probably Swedish, but I took up Finnish and German in January and have been making steady, solid progress in both. I'm a serial dabbler and also dipping my toes into Serbian, Norwegian, and Russian (which I studied for a few months at university years ago, got to A1, and then promptly gave up on because Japanese was eating up so much of my time, haha), with intentions of eventually studying, and hopefully becoming proficient in, a bunch more. I also have a Japanese degree and got to around N2 but dropped the language not long after I graduated last year. No regrets, though.

Aside from languages, I'm a nursing student, and intend to work abroad as soon as I can after I graduate.

Nice to meet everyone!!
9 x

reverie
Languages: English (N), German (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20206

Postby reverie » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm

Hi everyone! I'm reverie, I'm from the UK and currently living in Germany. I started studying German (A1/A2) two years ago but have not done much study for the past year. I studied French (A2) and Irish (A2) in school a while back but much of what I'd learned has long been forgotten.

I aspire to reach the point where I can comfortably browse through German bookstores. Libraries and bookstores are just no fun when 95% of the catalogue is in a language you can't understand. I miss book browsing :(

After German, I'm interested in potentially studying French, Spanish or Portuguese (or both maybe), Russian, Mandarin & Arabic. But that's neither here nor there.
10 x

RosedesTempsAnciens
Languages: French (N), English (Advanced / Fluent), German (Intermediate), Hungarian (very beginner)

Hello

Postby RosedesTempsAnciens » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 am

Hello,

I am a French native speaker, I speak English (advanced/ fluent level), German (intermediate) and recently I choose to learn Hungarian - and it's so hard to find hungarian courses in French I bought an English book to study...

I also like litterature, sports, animal, History, music etc
12 x

LingoPhil
Languages: English (N), French (B2)

Postby LingoPhil » Wed May 01, 2024 2:42 pm

Hi All,

I'm a native english speaker from Ireland with a interest in language learning. I just recently discovered this website and am enjoying reading all of the posts about different study methods and other users' progress! I've been learning French for the past few years in my spare time, having past the offical B2 exam in November 2022. My goal is to continue improving and someday pass the C2 exam. Overall though for me, it's about enjoying the process :D

Thanks!
10 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”