Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Re: What does your output look like?

Postby Voytek » Sun May 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Theodisce wrote:I regret discovering the joy of participation in live streams only recently.

What do you mean by "live streams"? Are they some kind of language exchange communities?
0 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Sun May 21, 2017 12:50 pm

What I was referring to are youtubers who make live questions and answers sessions. There is a chat window when you can interact with other visitors and ask questions the channel owner will (hopefully ;) ) answer.
1 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun May 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Voytek wrote:
tarvos wrote:Day 1.

I don't do silent periods. Anything and everything can be input and I use all possible methods to get my hands on something, even if it's silly youtube vids or reading the packaging on supermarket foods.

In this day and age, unless you are studying obscure tribal languages, you cannot start from zero in any language. Even in Mandarin, loanwords do exist.

So I don't understand why I would delay output and input even less as it's so easy to get.

oh, sorry, I mixed up both terms again, I meant output, of course, speaking and writing. Please, reffer to it.

Same, still day 1
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

perfektesLeben
White Belt
Languages: English and German

Postby perfektesLeben » Sun May 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I don't know what Output means. But i talk in German to some people and read news articles in German. With my husband we speak in German most the time but he becomes frustrated so it doesn't last too long unless i "reward" him ;)
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon May 22, 2017 7:22 am

perfektesLeben wrote:I don't know what Output means. But i talk in German to some people and read news articles in German. With my husband we speak in German most the time but he becomes frustrated so it doesn't last too long unless i "reward" him ;)

(that sounds like good motivation!)

Output is production in your target language - writing and speaking.

---

Personally my production is 98% spoken - I tend to write in one language simple because I master it well and do not like the weaknesses in my other languages. I really need to force myself to produce writing in anything other than English.

So if we are 'looking' at my output, I imagine it is mostly writing you are interested in. For German, it is short exercises, letters, things that do not require more than 30 minutes of effort to produce. A rare email here and there. For Hebrew, it is still single simple sentences.

Which just highlights that I need to do more of it. It still feels like such a grind.

If you are interested in my oral output - I try to speak German with people around me (my daughters, friends, work) and have a tandem session. Hebrew is basically only via italki sessions. I do shadowing drills in all my training too. My learning focus tends to be speaking oriented so my output does too.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”