Aren't Pronunciation and Listening connected?

General discussion about learning languages
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Aren't Pronunciation and Listening connected?

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed May 17, 2017 7:37 am

aokoye wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:3. I cannot explain why it is some adult learners try in vain to erase their foreign accent when learning a new language, but cannot. However, they were children once who have no foreign accent in the mother tongue, and children learn to speak their native tongue(s) by listening to and mimicking the sounds of that language which is around them. They don't learn to read first, they listen and they pronunce words eventually like the natives that they are. Listening is essential to their pronunciation. What would they produce if surrounded by silence? Grunting? Jibberish? Random sounds? (eventually possibly speech as in point 1 above) They must hear what it is they need to pronounce to meet there needs.

So nitpicking - everyone has an accent regardless of whether or not we're talking about their L1. Not nitpicking: you're talking about first language acquisition which is different than second language acquisition.

The example of deaf people is interesting but I think that the function of hearing in relation to pronunciation is likely far different in deaf people who speak nonsigned languages than it is in a hearing person learning an L2. It's also very related to age, much more so than accent is for hearing children who are learning an L2. I have a feeling you're comparing apples to oranges in comparing the pronunciation of L2 (or L1) deaf English speakers to L2 hearing English speakers but I could be wrong.

I disagree, they're all languages, and all illustrate the use of listening with regards to developing pronunciation. Yes 2nd language acquisition is a potentially very different situation, but from my experience (point nbr 2), without listening how on earth could I even learn to pronounce French? I need to hear it! And if I couldn't hear, the result would be substantially inferior. I simply cannot separate them. For me listening is an essential element of being able to pronounce words, utterances, expressions, and i'm not necessarily suggesting flawless pronunciation only.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 am

Ольга wrote:What is it, the L-R nd subvoicing?

L-R is Listening-Reading, one of the language-learning techniques in the Wikia link I gave you recently. You may find the article on "Shadowing" useful as well. In fact, you may find the whole Wikia useful to you and worth reading.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 am

One more thing, if you wan to learn a new word don't forget about using transcription, it'll help you to learn the proper pronunciation, just like here:

quell /kwel/
to stop something that you do not want to happen

Using this method with Anki flashcards I got the feel of English pronunciation and I don't have any problems with the phonetical decoding of the English words but still many of them are beyond any pattern and you just have to memorize their pronunciation.
0 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

Return to “General Language Discussion”