Learning to conjugate Verbs

General discussion about learning languages
sstrout77
Languages: English (Native), French (Intermediate), German (Beginner)

Learning to conjugate Verbs

Postby sstrout77 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 am

Okay, so I am refreshing my french language skills. I am conjugating verbs, and have a question. Should I learn all the verbs in one tense first, then learn all the verbs in an other tense etc. Or, should I learn one verb in all the tenses, then move on to another verb? In french really there is only -er, -ir, -re regular verbs and then the irregulars, so it is not really TONS of verbs, I am just trying to work out my plan of attack. My thought is to learn in each tense, rather than one verb in all tenses... I should mention that I studied French for eleven years in school and college, and I have learned previously: present, simple future, passé compose, plus-que-parfait, conditional, and present subjunctive. There are quite a few tenses/moods I have not heard of or been introduced to.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!
0 x

Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Re: Learning to conjugate Verbs

Postby Voytek » Mon May 08, 2017 5:24 am

sstrout77 wrote:My thought is to learn in each tense, rather than one verb in all tenses...

That's how I learn Spanish verbs and it works. After some time you'll get the main idea of conjugating (the pattern) and it'll get a lot easier to you to learn. Of course, there're exceptions from the pattern but you should learn them at the end, in my opinion, unless you're facing some common verb.
1 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

Return to “General Language Discussion”