Learn, teach, socialize or argue?

General discussion about learning languages

Given the choices below, which are the 2 most likely reasons you visit the language learner's forum?

learn
56%
teach
4%
socialize
37%
argue
3%

Total votes: 115

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Learn, teach, socialize or argue?

Postby iguanamon » Mon May 08, 2017 3:17 pm

The forum is all these things as the title of this thread suggests but I also consider "sharing" to be an important aspect that I like, which perhaps could fall under the category of socializing. Language-learning is an important part of what I do in my spare time. There aren't many people to share that with in my circle of friends and family because they lack a baseline of relate-able experience. That baseline exists here, so I can share my joys and frustrations with language-learning among people who "get it". That's a good feeling. If, along the way, I can help someone to experience the joys of learning a language, then I'm happy to do so. I've gained so much from the forum, it's good to be able to give back.

With the explosion of information available for language-learning now in blogs and youtube videos, the opportunity to help people here is becoming less. A few years ago, new learners didn't have a library of videos from renowned polyglots or their blogs to consult. Now, it's becoming the norm for new members to come here having already researched self language-learning, having already chosen their resources and plan of action and not needing our assistance as much... or so they think... until they do. Near real-time help, which we provide here, can be invaluable when a learner feels as if they have hit a brick wall.

It's one thing to watch a bunch of Lucca, Benny or Professor Arguelles videos and quite another when faced with the reality of self-learning having never done it before. That's why I still see this place as being useful for language-learners for quite some time to come.

The General Discussion area of the forum has lately become a minefield of sorts these days. Topics are being set up as "either/or" dichotomies. Categorical statements often lead to contention and, in my opinion, serve little to encourage useful discussion. There are certainly several ways, paths, methods, approaches and combinations thereof to learning a language on one's own. So, no, I'm not overly fond of the argumentative aspect. Nobody has the "one size fits all" solution to how to learn a language, but everyone can bring a dish to this smorgasbord dinner party. Over the years, I've come to embrace this Chinese restaurant buffet aspect of what we do here. There are more than enough variations on the theme for those new to self language-learning to try and experienced people to help them out when they hit the wall or veer too far off the mixed-plate.

I pick up new tweaks and tips from time to time. Inspiration is a two-way street here. When I get into a bit of a rut, someone comes along to provide inspiration by example to get past it. We longtime members pretty much know what each other is going to say, generally. Still, you can teach an old dog new tricks, and people can surprise. Change is the one constant of the universe.
21 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 pm

iguanamon wrote:A few years ago, new learners didn't have a library of videos from renowned polyglots or their blogs to consult. Now, it's becoming the norm for new members to come here having already researched self language-learning

Excellent post! My introduction to forums was in 2005. I was learning Japanese on my own and I couldn't figure out how to learn kanji. I googled it, which for me was a brainstorm at that time. I saw someone tout Heisig in some random Japanese language learning forum, then I went to amazon and read reviews. It wasn't until after I finished the book that I went back to join that forum and brag about my accomplishment and forever get addicted to forums. My how things have changed since then.

you can teach an old dog new tricks

woof!
4 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 pm

I come here mainly to recharge my motivation. Also, I like the crowd this place attracts. There are not that many Internet forums for intelligent, intellectually-motivated people who have broad interests.
8 x

Steve
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Spanish (Intermediate), Ancient Greek (Intermediate), Hebrew (Beginner), ASL (Beginner), German (Beginner)

Postby Steve » Mon May 08, 2017 10:51 pm

For me, it's primarily about learning. I don't socialize too much. My expertise is limited compared to many people here though I will write up a detailed post on occasion if I think I can contribute something. I sometimes read the dialogue, debate, and argument threads for the different perspectives offered. It's helpful to catch some different viewpoints on things.

This is one of the few forums I regularly read or contribute to.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue May 09, 2017 12:39 am

Learning is my main reason for coming here, but often I am procrastinating while learning, or staying up late reading posts when I shouldn't.

A bit like collecting language courses, I've read countless threads looking for secret ingredients. All in all no outside sources will make me learn a language, I have to just do it! - as we all discover- we need to put in the work. However without the forum, I am not sure I would've come as far as I have with French. Courses provided the materials, people on the forum have provided insight and support - the 'real stuff'. They've shown me the way, and shown me that it is indeed very possible to reach one's goals.

Many people have opened my eyes to different methods, strategies and approaches to learning, including those that are likely not so good for me. It's one hell of a supportive environment!
11 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 am

I think iguanamon said pretty much everything I would want to say, with the caveat that I've been around less and more intermittently.

Pretty much here to hang out with y'all, and whatever else happens is pretty cool too.
4 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Tue May 09, 2017 4:49 am

I dunno, I feel like you can learn quite a lot by arguing (i.e. respectfully disagreeing with someone and then trying to justify your opinion). So they're not mutually exclusive.
5 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Tue May 09, 2017 2:57 pm

I chose "learn" and "teach", even though the latter seems a little blunt.

As that might sound arrogant (not my intention), here's a little clarification: I thought of "contribute". My friend iguanamon went with "sharing". Contribute » Teach; Sharing » Socialize. Oh well...

Having learned ("learnt", actually ;) ) most of my languages as a teenager, I've had a lot of exposure to the cultural aspects behind them for a long time now. Some of the stereotypes, too.

There were a few of those that showed up frequently in HTLAL, as expected. I gave my contribution in showing that sometimes it wasn't necessarily so. Many others did it better and more often.

That's what I've been trying to bring to this new forum, and that's what I'll continue doing. In any case, the "learn" side is assured.
6 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue May 09, 2017 8:34 pm

I come here to have a peer group that assumes language learning is actually possible!

It's hard to have an unusual hobby that nearly everybody fails at. Without regular contact with other people who into language learning, it's easy to settle down to a level of mediocrity.
11 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 pm

To procrastinate. ;)

More seriously, I consider this social sphere integral for success in language-learning. This is probably one the most challenging pastimes a person could invest in, and it has more quitters than victors. You need a support system for such endeavors, and these are hard to find in "real life".

There's also an abundance of learning resources here, whether it's other members with their wisdom, or methods and courses for learning languages. I never would have heard of Assimil or French in Action if I hadn't explored here and HTLAL.
7 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “General Language Discussion”