Learn, teach, socialize or argue?

General discussion about learning languages

Given the choices below, which are the 2 most likely reasons you visit the language learner's forum?

learn
56%
teach
4%
socialize
37%
argue
3%

Total votes: 115

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Re: Learn, teach, socialize or argue?

Postby Atinkoriko » Wed May 10, 2017 4:25 pm

In addition to all that has already been said, what I also find refreshing is the lack of intellectual posturing. With such an intellectual hobby as ours, one would expect to find quite a bit of posturing being thrown around on this forum. Instead, everyone is incredibly polite even in the midst of a heated argument about some language learning concept.

Also, the honesty. No false promises, no encouragement of blind adherence to a particular method or style of learning, no con artists promising fluency in a very short period of time if only you'll buy their products etc.
Everyone's pretty agreed on one thing - If you want to learn a language, you have to put time and work.

I respect that.
8 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)

Probably 'gonna' be next: Portuguese
Mayby one day: French & Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5253

Re: Learn, teach, socialize or argue?

Postby the1whoknocks » Wed May 10, 2017 4:39 pm

I’m one of those people Iguanamon mentioned in the sense that I came here already having consulted the most popular language learning blogs and researched language learning. Originally, I would have fallen squarely in the ‘to learn’ category since I only signed up to be able to do personal searches on the forum. This forum was just supposed to be another jewel in my crown of knowledge. … I was told my answer wouldn’t be judged. ;)

However, it didn’t take much time for my reason to morph into, ‘all of the above’, although each to a varying degree. I found everyone to be pretty cool, welcoming, and liberal with their suggestions. It’s hard to put my finger on it, but this forum has a lot to offer that is simply lacking on similar websites. I think what I like most is that this is truly a community. One where members, albeit with different methods, are focused on the same goal; learn or improve their languages. Seeing real stories from ‘ordinary’ people, and not just super polyglots, or those who have no experience starting to learn a language as an adult, has been invaluable to me. It’s all kept very practical. Among other things, it serves as a constant reminder that this language learning thing really is possible.

I login too sporadically to participate in any lengthy discussions but personally think arguments debates are very useful and should help to challenge any assumptions one holds as they strive to perfect their craft. It’s also because I’m cognizant of the fact that I really don’t know that much or have a wealth of experience to draw from. Still, everyone has something to add and some experience; I like to chime in when it might be useful.
7 x
"Wax on, wax off" - Mr. Myagi

Return to “General Language Discussion”