Game

General discussion about learning languages
Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Game

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 pm

The video below shows 32 of the languages spoken around Europe. The snippets are generally around 30 seconds but some are longer and some are shorter.

Play the video, turn away from the screen (it displays the country on the video) and see if you can list each language on the video. Don't open the description as it has the full list & times!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y3kzIbHN ... e=youtu.be

If you're brave post your 'score'. I think mine was a miserly 10-12.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Game

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:31 pm

18, including three correct guesses from the same family - I have some experience with one of them, another is one I've heard a lot, and the sample in the third correct guess gave a geographic clue. I either speak the other 15 ones or know what they sound like.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:38 pm

I mixed up Macedonian, missed Serbian, didn't recognise Albanian, and accidentally saw Slovak (though I would have guessed it was Slovak as it wasn't Czech).

Romanian appears twice, one as Moldovan and once as Romanian. I got Croatian, Ukrainian, Polish and Slovenian correct. I mixed up Bosnian and Montenegrin, but that's basically the same.

I didn't recognise Lithuanian, but figured it was either that or Latvian. Latvian I screwed up too. Icelandic and Hungarian I got right. The last one was apparently Slovenian again (I figured it was that family but didn't recognise the country).

So I think I got about 25.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:31 pm

30 - got Serbian and Bosnian mixed up (though I had originally noted the first clip as "Serbian" and only changed my guess to "Bosnian" after hearing the Bosnian clip), plus the fact that Romanian got used twice threw me off. Since I was 100% certain that it was Romanian the first time, I second-guessed the second clip and noted down "Romansh" instead. I was also half-certain that the Finnish clip was Estonian until I heard the actual Estonian clip.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Only 6 (not counting the last one). I suppose the monitors will have to move me to the children's table in this forum.
Did anyone else note how alike all the sets, presenters and forms of presentations were?
When all this is over, can someone tell us what was so funny in the last presentation?
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:56 am

I'll be with MorkTheFiddle at the children's table if anyone is looking for me.

I recognized 4, guessed another 2, and heard Russian about 6 or 7 times.
1 x

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:49 am

Got 20. Half a dozen easy ones, half a dozen educated guesses, half a dozen lucky guesses, two out-of-the-blue guesses.

I was actually waiting for some Catalan, Galician or Basque to rack up a few more, but as it turned out they weren't featured.

Apart from the six I know, got Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, Czech (after a couple of misses - Slovak and Polish), Russian, Belarusian and Bulgarian (something about Sofia there), as well as both Romanians (something about Chișinău on the first, I think). Greek, Irish and Dutch were somewhat accessible. Somehow managed to guess Lithuanian and Latvian. Got lost on the Balkans and missed the Uralic ones. Could have gotten Icelandic (by exclusion).
0 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

lingopear
Languages: German (N), English (C2)
Studying: Spanish (low int), Cantonese (beg)
Just for fun (beg): Mandarin, Russian, Arabic, French
Wishlist: Korean, Vietnamese, Hindi/Urdu
Long forgotten: Finnish (used to be B1)

Postby lingopear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:03 am

I got 16 - if I take into account the ones that I could have guessed from the name dropping of countries/cities in the clips it would have been ~3-4 more. Missed Irish and Danish and can't distinguish most of the Slavic languages :oops:
0 x
Spanish
: 100 / 100 Duolingo
: 33 / 100 Pimsleur I-II-III-Plus
: 12 / 36 Spanish Verb Tenses
: 83 / 114 Reading (No pasó nada - Antonio Skármeta)
Russian
: 30 / 79 Duolingo

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 am

I only skimmed the video but the Swedish clip seems to be from a comedy show?

Årets julklapp 2008 blir en upplevelse. Handelns utredningsinstitut har inte specificerat vilken upplevelsen är men med tanke på det ekonomiska läget lutar det åt att det blir fattigdom.

Maud Olofsson säger att hon inför valet 2010 ska satsa på skolan. Förhoppningen är att hon till dess ska ha ett fullständigt gymnasiebetyg.

Translation

Christmas Present of the Year 2008 is "an experience". HUI Research hasn't specified which experience but considering the economic situation, it's leaning toward poverty.

Maud Olofsson (politician) says that, in the election of 2010, she'll focus on school. Hopefully she'll have a valid high school degree by then.

I apologise for the crude translation.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Stefan wrote:I only skimmed the video but the Swedish clip seems to be from a comedy show?

Yeah, it's probably from Morgonsoffan, where the actor and comedian Patrik Larsson played a news anchor.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “General Language Discussion”